4th Generation 2024 Toyota Tacoma Thread (iForce Max Pricing Announced)

NomadDan

Follower
Reactions
Man, $53k for a 6spd TRD Offroad Premium and sway bar disconnect. Ouch. Crazy to think the TRD Pro and Trailhunter may be approaching low end GX550 prices.

It’ll be interesting to see how the prices of the 6th gen 4Runner and LC250 compare. If the Tacoma is anything to go buy, I think we’ll see some overlap in 4Runner and LC250 pricing.

qtb007

Follower
Reactions
Man, $53k for a 6spd TRD Offroad Premium and sway bar disconnect. Ouch. Crazy to think the TRD Pro and Trailhunter may be approaching low end GX550 prices.

It’ll be interesting to see how the prices of the 6th gen 4Runner and LC250 compare. If the Tacoma is anything to go buy, I think we’ll see some overlap in 4Runner and LC250 pricing.
Some overlap between the LC250 and 4Runner is a certainty. My '23 4Runner Pro stickered for like $55k. The base model LC was quoted as mid $50k range. We know the 4Runner is going to get $3k+ more expensive with the hybrid option, so that puts the 4Runner Pro at least $58k... probably $60k based on the '23>'24 Tacoma trim bumps.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
MSRP for my 2023 TRD Off-Road Premium 4x4 5ft Bed: $48,596
MSRP for the most comparably spec'ed 2024 Off-Road Premium Package 5ft Bed: $53,894
Difference: $5,298

Key features the 2024 has that mine doesn't:
- Ventilated seats (would love to have)
- Much nicer interior
- Better ride height and cabin comfort
- 14" screen
- Power tailgate
- Better MPG
- More torque

The price increases still feel a bit high to me comparing MSRPs, but I haven't been in one yet so it might really feel "worth it" in person which we can't gauge from spec sheets and online configurators. Reviews have even called out "It's more expensive, but it's worth it" so I'm hopeful that's the case, and Toyota priced it with solid feedback and research from current shoppers and buyers.

The 3rd gen wasn't particularly nice in terms of comfort, features and NVH, so I can see the 4th gen making big improvements in those areas that feel worth the price. The only thing I think about is that a lot of truck shoppers, and especially Tacoma buyers, are buying these for basic functionality and durability, so these price increases might hurt them more than those who are looking for features and tech. Time will tell.

qtb007

Follower
Reactions
MSRP for my 2023 TRD Off-Road Premium 4x4 5ft Bed: $48,596
MSRP for the most comparably spec'ed 2024 Off-Road Premium Package 5ft Bed: $53,894
Difference: $5,298

Key features the 2024 has that mine doesn't:
- Ventilated seats (would love to have)
- Much nicer interior
- Better ride height and cabin comfort
- 14" screen
- Power tailgate
- Better MPG
- More torque

The price increases still feel a bit high to me comparing MSRPs, but I haven't been in one yet so it might really feel "worth it" in person which we can't gauge from spec sheets and online configurators. Reviews have even called out "It's more expensive, but it's worth it" so I'm hopeful that's the case, and Toyota priced it with solid feedback and research from current shoppers and buyers.

The 3rd gen wasn't particularly nice in terms of comfort, features and NVH, so I can see the 4th gen making big improvements in those areas that feel worth the price. The only thing I think about is that a lot of truck shoppers, and especially Tacoma buyers, are buying these for basic functionality and durability, so these price increases might hurt them more than those who are looking for features and tech. Time will tell.
I think you'll see the value / durability shoppers shift away from the TRD OR or Sport as the most common trim to a non upgrade SR5 trim. My dad's '22 ACLB TRDOR was a bit of a unicorn last fall because Toyota was only pumping out premium package trucks even then. If he were to get another Tacoma, I bet he would step down a trim.

NomadDan

Follower
Reactions
I don’t think the base prices are terrible compared to the ‘23, but the packages are ridiculous. If I want fake leather and the disconnecting sway bar, I have to pay for a $10k package. It’s a bit ridiculous to pay nearly 25% of the vehicle cost for a handful of options, especially when Toyota can built complete vehicles for $10-12k (Toyota IMV). IMO, the Tacoma is overpriced by $8-10k.

Reactions
1707688346583.png
And the Winner Is...
We were so impressed when the ZR2 first came out that we doubted Toyota could pull ahead again, but the new Tacoma proves that it absolutely has. The 2024 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road is the clear winner here. It's also on a different plane of existence from the aged truck it replaces. It goes about its business with enthusiasm in terms of powertrain response and handling, and it's quite capable off-road. Its interior is smart and easy to live with, and it's more entertaining to drive on your way to the dirt.

With respect to the 2023 Chevrolet Colorado ZR2, this result came as a surprise. Not only have we been consistently amazed by the new ZR2, but its list of advantages seemed long. We fretted about a crushing victory, a bad pairing that would provoke angry letters. But the inconvenience of the Chevy's interior stands in stark contrast to the Tacoma's, and its playful off-road nature and theoretically more powerful motor don't show up on pavement. None of this changes the fact that it's a solid off-road truck, but it's now clear there is room for improvement.

Last edited:

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
That was a straight up ass beating I did not expect. Props to Toyota!

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
The F2 platform so far seems to be better thought out than the F1 platform. The extra year they took really helped them better optimize the products. And it didn't matter in the end since the delay actually avoided supply chain issues in 2021-2023. The F1 platform had a rough start with rushed products, quality problems and production shortages. Let's hope improvements are made to in the upcoming facelifts.

I may have criticized Toyota's powertrain calibrations a lot, but recently I've been driving a lot of American brand cars/trucks and realized how bad these are. A lot of them have impressive numbers on paper but perform terribly in real life. TMC products still reach a good balance between performance, efficiency and of course reliability. NVH is where they need improvements the most.

NomadDan

Follower
Reactions
TFL did a tow comparison between the Colorado and TRD Offroad Tacoma. The two trucks ended up being very comparable, which I think is quite impressive considering the Tacoma has quite a bit less hp and torque. I’d love to see them do a re-test when the Tacoma hybrid becomes available. I’m sure the regenerative braking will be really nice when towing.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
IDK if you want to call that a shellacking but the OR model holds its own against the ZR2, I suppose against the TRD Pro would be a real beat down? :D

I think the TRDOR landing a beating like that on a loaded ZR2 is why I called it an ass beating... the TRD PRO has historically been the ZR2's primary competitor, and the TRD PRO's little brother just took Chevy out behind the shed.

I am most impressed with the powertrain difference on paper vs. real world performance (acceleration, MPG, drivetrain calibration). The Colorado should have blown the Tacoma away and that absolutely didn't happen despite a 100 lb-ft of torque advantage and having more horsepower. Overall, the Tacoma was faster, significantly more efficient, and by the sound of it, much more enjoyable to drive.

TRD PRO is probably going to cost about the same (or less) compared to the ZR2 sooo... yikes for Chevy :oops:

Reactions
I don’t think the base prices are terrible compared to the ‘23, but the packages are ridiculous. If I want fake leather and the disconnecting sway bar, I have to pay for a $10k package. It’s a bit ridiculous to pay nearly 25% of the vehicle cost for a handful of options, especially when Toyota can built complete vehicles for $10-12k (Toyota IMV). IMO, the Tacoma is overpriced by $8-10k.
They are priced pretty high in the US compared to Canadian prices. As per standard USD/CAD conversion rates (currently 1 USD = 1.36 CAD), Canada is getting a pretty good discount for Tacoma. Makes you wonder what the profit margin on the truck is (even beyond invoice pricing). CAD prices below:

Model Bed size Starting MSRP Estimated Vehicle Price*
SR5 6-foot $46,950 $50,511
TRD Off-Road 6-foot $50,650 $54,211
TRD Sport 6-foot $50,050 $53,611
TRD Sport + 6-foot $54,450 $58,011
TRD Sport Premium 6-foot $58,150 $61,711
TRD Off-Road 6MT 5-foot $48,550 $52,111
TRD Off-Road Premium 5-foot $58,350 $61,911
TRD Sport + 6MT 5-foot $52,350 $55,911
*NOTE: Vehicle Price includes MSRP/Freight PDI/AC charge/maximum Dealer fees/maximum other fees and charges, and excludes taxes, license, insurance and registration.

Reactions
I think the TRDOR landing a beating like that on a loaded ZR2 is why I called it an ass beating... the TRD PRO has historically been the ZR2's primary competitor, and the TRD PRO's little brother just took Chevy out behind the shed.

I am most impressed with the powertrain difference on paper vs. real world performance (acceleration, MPG, drivetrain calibration). The Colorado should have blown the Tacoma away and that absolutely didn't happen despite a 100 lb-ft of torque advantage and having more horsepower. Overall, the Tacoma was faster, significantly more efficient, and by the sound of it, much more enjoyable to drive.

TRD PRO is probably going to cost about the same (or less) compared to the ZR2 sooo... yikes for Chevy :oops:
This makes me really excited for the hybrid powertrain in the Tacoma!!