ssun30

Expert
Reactions
I was more excited about the NX 350, but after seeing the performance figures, I think the NX 350h is the clear winner. Motor Trend tested it as faster 0-60 and 1/4 mile than the 2.4T... a bit crazy. Plus ~37mpg - you can't beat that. I personally think NX 350h is the best choice in the lineup.

Everyone would love a 450h+, but I would not spend $60k+ on an NX.
In the Highlander the V6 is still faster than the hybrid ~10%. T24 at least for now seems to fall short as a 2GR-FKS replacement. If the same exact tune is used for RX350 it will be worse than current gen RX.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
In the Highlander the V6 is still faster than the hybrid ~10%. T24 at least for now seems to fall short as a 2GR-FKS replacement. If the same exact tune is used for RX350 it will be worse than current gen RX.

I am a little worried about what this motor will be like in the RX/TX, if I am honest. Those should be a bit heavier than the NX, especially the TX, and the performance right now does not look to be as good as the ~17 year old V6.

qtb007

Follower
Reactions
I'm not worried. You had to wring out the 2GR-FKS to get those 300hp; the RX and Highlander will have power where people normally drive them and will feel better to most drivers. The 8AR to T24 saw a bump in fuel efficiency and better acceleration. I expect that the fuel economy bump will be there for the RX/HL while the acceleration stays steady versus the 2GR HL and RX. For the TX, I see the T24 acting like the base engine much like the A25 is in the NX 250.

Will1991

Reactions
I am a little worried about what this motor will be like in the RX/TX, if I am honest. Those should be a bit heavier than the NX, especially the TX, and the performance right now does not look to be as good as the ~17 year old V6.

We know about the RX500h trademark, which is in line with what we’re seeing in this new NX, TMC is pushing for hybrids.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
I'm not worried. You had to wring out the 2GR-FKS to get those 300hp; the RX and Highlander will have power where people normally drive them and will feel better to most drivers. The 8AR to T24 saw a bump in fuel efficiency and better acceleration. I expect that the fuel economy bump will be there for the RX/HL while the acceleration stays steady versus the 2GR HL and RX. For the TX, I see the T24 acting like the base engine much like the A25 is in the NX 250.

exactly

performance in these car has nothing to do with 0-60, this is where turbo will be better, and where 500h will be better than any other engines.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
The RX buyer is definitely not someone who is going to often be flooring it and feeling the frustration of turbo lag, but they do prioritize smoothness and NVH a lot. I hope T25A + extra weight of RX + more weight for TX can deliver the type of smoothness/linearity those buyers want.

No doubt that 500h with 2.4T + hybrid will be the best choice for those who like to drive.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
The RX buyer is definitely not someone who is going to often be flooring it and feeling the frustration of turbo lag, but they do prioritize smoothness and NVH a lot. I hope T25A + extra weight of RX + more weight for TX can deliver the type of smoothness/linearity those buyers want.

No doubt that 500h with 2.4T + hybrid will be the best choice for those who like to drive.

Well v6 you have to floor all the time to get performance out of it.

It is not that super simple.

In theory, you should be able to cruise in turbo easier.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Well v6 you have to floor all the time to get performance out of it.

It is not that super simple.

In theory, you should be able to cruise in turbo easier.

My point is: how many RX owners are “flooring it”? Not a lot or they wouldn’t be buying an RX. These buyers prioritize smoothness and I’m hoping that something 4200-4400lbs with a turbo 4cylinder can provide the NVH and smoothness that RX buyers expect.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
My point is: how many RX owners are “flooring it”? Not a lot or they wouldn’t be buying an RX. These buyers prioritize smoothness and I’m hoping that something 4200-4400lbs with a turbo 4cylinder can provide the NVH and smoothness that RX buyers expect.

Well it probably wont, but it should be peppier at low revs.

As long as it does not have to shift 7 gears down when you hit gas.

I just drove 2018 e43 and between turbo lag and shifter hugging tallest gear, car is not fast at all. Or maybe i am too used to tesla by now.

Real enemy is trying to get best mpg even in sports mode.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
I think Lexus just needs to get one thing right: make sure the transmission and ECU knows what the driver wants. I recall your frustrations with the V35 has always been that the software is confused about how much boost you request and thus sometimes it's unresponsive while sometimes it's violent and jerky. RX owners don't care about speed but drivability since the 2GR was the golden standard for daily drivability for a NA engine. A car with good drivability also happens to be both fast and smooth, because it doesn't get confused about what the owner wants with throttle input. A frustrated driving experience always comes from a disconnect between driver's mind and vehicle's behavior.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
I think Lexus just needs to get one thing right: make sure the transmission and ECU knows what the driver wants. I recall your frustrations with the V35 has always been that the software is confused about how much boost you request and thus sometimes it's unresponsive while sometimes it's violent and jerky. RX owners don't care about speed but drivability since the 2GR was the golden standard for daily drivability for a NA engine. A car with good drivability also happens to be both fast and smooth, because it doesn't get confused about what the owner wants with throttle input. A frustrated driving experience always comes from a disconnect between driver's mind and vehicle's behavior.

so far i have seen Tundra reports that say there is lag and there are reports that say engine is very responsive.... With NX, there were reports how turbo feels faster than it is, and reports that it is not responsive enough.

I think at this point, people are just better of with 450+ version due to extra 100 hp electric power at any time. It is best of both worlds, and yes, faster cars have always been expensive - so it is expensive.

People today want hybrids/phevs to be:
a. same price
b. faster
c. more frugal

Two of those will work, three never.

GoHuskers

Fan
Reactions
People today want hybrids/phevs to be:
a. same price
b. faster
c. more frugal

Two of those will work, three never.
In case of a Mach-E...ALL 3 work but it is not HV nor PHEV.

I've owned a NX 200T Fsport and RX350. Both are AWD. The NX has "better" torque range and lighter but it is not faster or better at low speed than the RX. Once you're rolling the NX is nice to drive but the same is for the RX once you're in the 25+ mph range. The NX is NOT fuel efficient than the RX neither and it drinks Premium. Of course the RX is quieter and smoother. Owners reported issues with the NX while idling at traffic light or stop signs since it vibrates/shakes while the RX does not.

2.4T + Battery will be a great ride since the battery took care of turbo lag / low speed driving while the turbo is awesome once we got rolling.

Will1991

Reactions
We finally have some pricing for Portugal, and around here, the NX450h+ is a no brainer.

The 350h starts at 64.800€ and the 450h+ starts at 68.500€ (MSRP).

Also, for companies, we can deduct VAT so it can be cheaper than a average built UX250h.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
We finally have some pricing for Portugal, and around here, the NX450h+ is a no brainer.

The 350h starts at 64.800€ and the 450h+ starts at 68.500€ (MSRP).

Also, for companies, we can deduct VAT so it can be cheaper than a average built UX250h.

TMC hybrids are so good, that they can easily make PHEVs with little effort and sell profitably. In one swipe TMC can makes the best PHEVs.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
i could mistake that for an NX F

Lexus-NX-Design-reimagined-exterior-Mobile-750x448-LEX-NXG-MY22-0033.jpg