Will1991

Reactions
I'm really liking this new 2NX, it would be an awesome replacement for my wife’s A-Class.

But I must be very careful about the subject… There’s a strong possibility I’m ending up on the hospital if I talk to her about replacing her beloved Mercedes before I replace my 22 year old Toyota, I don’t think I currently have enough credits for it 🤣🤣🤣

Jezza819

Follower
Reactions
I thought I read in one review that the 239hp rating for the 350h was only on premium fuel and it's 219hp if using regular fuel. Is that right?

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Nope. See above. Same old tech and limited capabilities from mid-2000s RAV4. For Toyota the future is clearly E-AWD so we shouldn't expect them to come up with any fancy mechanical AWD systems.

well, old Rav4 would turn off "awd" after 40kmh and also it would overheat if you used it much.
So pretty sure always having 25% at back is nice improvement.

As to the NX450h+ - i actually dont think they will have THAT much problem with availability. Because right now Rav4 Prime is selling around 3000 units per month in USA, and plus Europe/etc... they managed to increase production a lot.

For Lexus, 3k/mo units would be more than enough.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
I assume because of Toyota's preference to tune powertrains for reliability and longevity... especially for an all-new turbo motor.

That generally means: less aggressive throttle tip-in, transmission shifts and turbo tuning/power delivery. Not ideal for those of us who drive more spirited.

it cant compare to 450+ anyway, torque you instantly get is never going to be comparable. Only better thing would be adding phev to this turbo motor :)

qtb007

Follower
Reactions
I thought I read in one review that the 239hp rating for the 350h was only on premium fuel and it's 219hp if using regular fuel. Is that right?
That seems unlikely because the 350h has the same engine and transmission as the Sienna which makes 245hp on regular. The Rav4 hybrid makes 219hp but is listed as a different hybrid transmission.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions

Not be to rude, but Autoblog really employs some bottom of the barrel types.
So on paper the NX makes sense, and it's definitely improved
over its predecessor. It's just hard to get very excited about it

The looks are almost identical to the old one and although better to drive, it's just not as compelling an effort as the various rear-drive Lexus models

It’s not just me right? These auto journalists give me some weird vibes. It’s almost incel-critiques-a-game-console.

Adrian

Fan
Reactions

Not be to rude, but Autoblog really employs some bottom of the barrel types.

It’s not just me right? These auto journalists give me some weird vibes. It’s almost incel-critiques-a-game-console.
I read this article earlier and it reminded me of how much autoblog hates on Lexus. Ever since the 3IS came out, they have just been negative and barely positive with any Lexus review

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Now that we have probably all read many of the reviews, how are we feeling?

Seems to me that this NX was an evolutionary step forward and Lexus didn't stray too far from the current generation while trying to incorporate more electrified options.

The comments on performance and handling seem to be "It's ok," which is a bit disappointing to me after so much pre-marketing hype on the Lexus driving signature for this car. I am also a little disappointed in the reviews of the 2.4T and hoped for something with a bit more punch. It seems it is an incremental performance update over the 8AR-FTS but not an underrated sleeper like the 2.0Ts from Audi or BMW, despite much stronger specs. Then again, I think Lexus knows their audience and prioritizes longevity and reliability over performance.

I read mostly good things about Lexus Interface with a few reviews nothing that it seems a little "beta" and should be better with more OTA updates.

In summary, it seems like Lexus incrementally improved the current formula but didn't really take any risks to increase the performance or enthusiast appeal despite stronger specs on paper.

I'm also not at all in the audience for a FWD-biased crossover, so maybe my thoughts aren't surprising. If the NX 350 had come out cracking off sub-6 second 0-60 times with a performance-biased AWD system, I might have been somewhat interested in one, but it seems that isn't the case.

Adrian

Fan
Reactions
The Drive wrote a pretty solid article about the new Lexus Interface. Overall its a solid UI and the biggest gripes are the loss of temperature animation from prior Lexus models, temperature knobs doesn't feel as tight and luxurious as it should be, and the voice assistant can use some work.

If those are the only big complaints then the new Lexus Interface is a home-run. I cannot wait to see how this will look on future Lexus models!

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
No.
They did just enough to make it one of the most competitive in the segment. It is a product that the mass market wants. This is the perfect product for almost everyone, although its value proposition isn't as dominant as the RX.

The hybrid system is a major step forward. The old '300h' system is pretty underwhelming. Doesn't deliver '3.0L-like' performance and efficiency gain over the 2.0T is questionable and the 2nd-gen E-Four it had was almost useless. This 350h is by far the best powertrain option for most people shopping for a luxury compact crossover. The disappointment with the 350 might just be that isn't the priority for them. For most of the world the 350h will be majority of the sales.

I watched Alex on Auto's review of the 450h+ and he made a good point about that product: other than not being the most powerful/fastest, it is superior in almost every way imaginable compared to competitor's PHEVs. To many internet people the best car is whichever wins the 0-60 race but in reality it's very low on an actual buyer's priority list.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Sorry y’all been super slammed. To me it’s a home run product. The last NX was good but this one is Lexus at its best. They really were focused to me. Really no faults. Drives great. Note it’s lighter and more powerful.
Hope to have my videos up soon. I drove this one over an hour away up a small mountain lol. Handled fine.

F8F7037D-744B-4D29-90B9-71ECE73F30B5.jpeg

Attachments

• BE4D1FFC-9E26-4F3E-B28D-F9BD1D3B63A5.jpeg
    BE4D1FFC-9E26-4F3E-B28D-F9BD1D3B63A5.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 14
Reactions

Seems to me that this NX was an evolutionary step forward and Lexus didn't stray too far from the current generation while trying to incorporate more electrified options.
I'm also not at all in the audience for a FWD-biased crossover, so maybe my thoughts aren't surprising. If the NX 350 had come out cracking off sub-6 second 0-60 times with a performance-biased AWD system, I might have been somewhat interested in one, but it seems that isn't the case.
I think my overall thoughts are that the outside looks pretty but nothing else makes me feel even remotely excited. Are we really hyped up over stationary door handles? We were promised a "GAME CHANGER" "IT'S GOING TO DOMINATE". Like where? I'm confused! It's slow and has lack luster MPG. They really took the Rav4 slapped some makeup on it and called it a day. When Audi is handed a VW based architecture they at least change it up with better driving dynamics, aluminum suspension components, jeez at least give me 4piston brakes. WHERE IS THE LEXUS ENGINEERING? I don't want to hear anything about you don't know anything this is going to sell, ok great this is Lexus enthusiasts not Lexus executives I don't give a hoot about their sales numbers. They are not giving us anything to be enthusiastic about.

Is my understanding correct that the NX isn't getting the new dynamic torque vectoring??? It's just an upgraded version of the last one?? How does that make sense?

I feel like we have been waiting for something truly new from Lexus for a while now and this was their shot. When/ will we ever get a Lexus performance product from this decade?

Levi

Expert
Reactions
For business the NX is a very good job, can't think of much better, except maybe GLC, for the badge primarily. For enthusiasts, the Alfa Stelvio QV is the deal in the class, or now the X3 M. But how many buy those? Those that want a badge, will get a badge, however crappy that car is, compared to something ten times better without badge. The NX fulfills its purpose. I am trying to rationalize high-performance CUVs, I can't. I prefer Lexus focus their enthusiast efforts on next IS/RC and low riding BEV, where is really belongs.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
I am trying to rationalize high-performance CUVs, I can't. I prefer Lexus focus their enthusiast efforts on next IS/RC and low riding BEV, where is really belongs.
Right. The mass market doesn't want a "high performance" NX, they want something that'll look good en route to whatever the latest wine mom obsession is. It's like the ES - there's a formula, it sells well, and if you want big changes to it to compete with AMG or whatever, you're going to be disappointed.

Jezza819

Follower
Reactions
That seems unlikely because the 350h has the same engine and transmission as the Sienna which makes 245hp on regular. The Rav4 hybrid makes 219hp but is listed as a different hybrid transmission.

What I read was from the Autoblog review.

The new hybrid powertrain in the rechristened NX 350h is similar to what's in RAV4 and Venza, but produces 239 total system horsepower versus 219 (possibly due to its premium fuel recommendation). Fuel economy is basically the same at an estimated 39 miles per gallon combined.

It's talking about the HP difference between the RAV4 and Venza to the 350h. But the 350h is going to recommend premium fuel?