spwolf

Expert
Reactions
It is pretty common that at start of new model year, they are sourced from multiple factories.

So they don't have to wait for rampup of factory to introduce NX, they will likely get them from Japan until production is in full swing.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
i very much doubt it will happen... what could happen is direct-4, giving more power to the rear than in Rav4.
it is dumb of Lexus not not give the ES more performance, when the IS 500 is just a stopgap. once the IS 500 is gone no more performance sedans at all? of course sedans don't sell if they have less performance than CUVs. CUVs never were cool, and never will be.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Related but I’m driving a Prius Prime and if the Rumored NX is a step up on this, it will be amazing. It charged up in 5 hours, right now I’m at 97 MPG.

FYI the RAV4 prime is leaving the lot as soon as it arrives.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
it is dumb of Lexus not not give the ES more performance, when the IS 500 is just a stopgap. once the IS 500 is gone no more performance sedans at all? of course sedans don't sell if they have less performance than CUVs. CUVs never were cool, and never will be.

I think something like 5.5s 0-60 with RWD bias would be nice for both NX and ES.
They will be mainstream vehicles, that will be primary sellers in most of the countries.

mikeavelli

Reactions
I know Acura tries to make the tlx sporty but I still see it more ES competitor. For around 52k the Acura has the superior power train, brakes and awd. Makes our F-Sport seem really behind for near the same price.
Hoping the next ES wakes up a bit here. Because I find it superior to the Tlx most everywhere else.

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
I didn't even know Honda's Agile Handling Assist is brake-based torque vectoring until I read it today in one article that popped up in my Google app. Some variant of the Toyota Highlander (non-hybrid) does have it but how come most Toyota or Lexus sedans don't even have it?

Even the Civic seems to have it lol. It does lead to slightly more frequent brake pad changes but for HEVs, PHEVs and BEVs with regenerative braking, maybe it won't be as bad.

I wonder why Toyota is so loathe offering any kind of torque vectoring. I doubt it results in less overall reliability but will add a lot more to driving dynamics.

Last edited:

Sulu

Admirer
Reactions
Why won't Toyota offer torque vectoring? Perhaps it is not really needed and there is no demand for it?

There may be some demand for it and it may help on truly sporty cars like the 86 or Supra (that are more likely to travel fast on winding back roads, where torque vectoring would really help), but there is really no need for it on family cars such as the Highlander, Camry or Corolla. What is the need for torque vectoring on city streets where cars travel relatively slowly or freeways which are engineered for safe high-speed travel (large-radius curves)?

Is there a need for torque vectoring on mass-market, family-oriented cars?

mikeavelli

Reactions
Why won't Toyota offer torque vectoring? Perhaps it is not really needed and there is no demand for it?

There may be some demand for it and it may help on truly sporty cars like the 86 or Supra (that are more likely to travel fast on winding back roads, where torque vectoring would really help), but there is really no need for it on family cars such as the Highlander, Camry or Corolla. What is the need for torque vectoring on city streets where cars travel relatively slowly or freeways which are engineered for safe high-speed travel (large-radius curves)?

Is there a need for torque vectoring on mass-market, family-oriented cars?
I believe the RAV-4 offers it and it will continue to expand on new offerings not older ones.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Active Cornering Assist is available on most TNGA vehicles already. It's also standard on RX facelift. I don't know about USDM but ChDM TNGA models all have ACA standard. Toyota just doesn't market it at all because it's not a very fancy feature to talk about; It's like nobody brags about ABS or ESP anymore. There is zero hardware cost to implement it because it's just an extra block of code in the ESP software.

BTW these are not torque vectoring at all because they do not change torque distribution on the driving wheels. They just mimic the effect by applying negative torque with brakes. The widespread use of ACA is part of the reason today's FF cars are not that distinguishable from FR cars in the hands of regular drivers.

Last edited:

shizhi

Follower
Reactions
Chinese dealers say the new generation NX will make its debut at the Guangdong-Hongkong-Macao Greater Bay Area International Auto Show in June.
Recently, there have been some Covid-19 cases in Guangdong Province, so the auto show is likely to be cancelled. Lexus can only choose to release the all new NX online.1920x1080_1.jpg

Last edited:

Andyl

Founding Member
Reactions
Interesting to see the orientation of the rear wiper blade is different than the one in the leaked photos. What the official photo shows is the same as the current generation.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
the leaked NX images have logo? last minute change?

LC300 reveal also this month.