mikeavelli

Reactions
Did anyone noticed those sweetly designed and placed door handles?

2021-03-01-lexus-nx-interior.jpg

There is something special about the door handles :)

DOC4Lex

Fan
Reactions
I think Lexus should have added the IS F prime or + a full EV sendan to compete with Tesla sedans

GNS

Follower
Reactions
Came to say this. Remember everyone this was a leak. So that ain’t everything. It was also a Euro leak. Again when things do debut, I think the forum will absolutely love it.

Twin turbo V6 NX please

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
I think Lexus should have added the IS F prime or + a full EV sendan to compete with Tesla sedans
It probably will in a few years and with a 10-year 1 million km warranty backed by Toyota's reliability reputation and after warranty support, I wouldn't mind the lowest rung with dual motors and rear electric torque vectoring (ala Taycan's PTV Plus).

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Screen-Shot-2021-02-24-at-8.08.04-AM-1024x511.png

By most accounts, “NX 450h+” was the most interesting trademark among those filed for the next-generation Lexus NX crossover, but let’s take a moment to consider another that may have even broader appeal: NX 350h.
We are speculating, but it’s not hard to make educated guesses when tracing the lifecycle and product execution of the Toyota RAV4, the NX’s lesser cousin. The fourth generation RAV4 Hybrid and the Lexus NX 300h shared the same 2.5L I4 hybrid system generating a total 194 horsepower. When it evolved for the fifth generation, the RAV4 received the newer, fourth-generation Toyota hybrid system making a combined 219 horsepower, so it would be logical to assume that the NX 350h might receive the same one. Or… could it be different?
We know that Lexus names hybrid models...

Continue reading...

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
It would add a lot of value if you could include this as a rough estimate of the 350h system's performance:
HSD.jpg
The "350h" E-Four system has 22% higher torque output and 18% more battery energy storage than the 300h system. So the performance of the two systems should be very different despite the seemingly modest power increase (11%). The 350h system has 4535N.m at the output axis. RX350 with 2GR-FKS has 6300N.m in 1st gear and 3650N.m in 2nd gear (not counting transmission loss). NX300 with 8AR-FTS has 4750N.m in 1st gear and only 2740N.m in 2nd gear.

Lexus usually rates their hybrids as "PS/0.7" so a 350h system should have ~245PS. The only difference vs. the Highlander hybrid could be the battery pack: instead of the 288V NiMH it could get Li-ion with either 266V (72s) or 296V (80s). Considering the ES is now Li-ion only it shouldn't be a surprise NX also gets Li-ion instead of NiMH.

It's amazing how far ahead of the media this forum is. When they are still speculating on what system the NX350h will use we already had a rough idea of the kind of components and estimated performance since a year ago.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
It would add a lot of value if you could include this as a rough estimate of the 350h system's performance:
View attachment 4677
The "350h" E-Four system has 22% higher torque output and 18% more battery energy storage than the 300h system. So the performance of the two systems should be very different despite the seemingly modest power increase (11%). The 350h system has 4535N.m at the output axis. RX350 with 2GR-FKS has 6300N.m in 1st gear and 3650N.m in 2nd gear (not counting transmission loss). NX300 with 8AR-FTS has 4750N.m in 1st gear and only 2740N.m in 2nd gear.

Lexus usually rates their hybrids as "PS/0.7" so a 350h system should have ~245PS. The only difference vs. the Highlander hybrid could be the battery pack: instead of the 288V NiMH it could get Li-ion with either 266V (72s) or 296V (80s). Considering the ES is now Li-ion only it shouldn't be a surprise NX also gets Li-ion instead of NiMH.

It's amazing how far ahead of the media this forum is. When they are still speculating on what system the NX350h will use we already had a rough idea of the kind of components and estimated performance since a year ago.

I knew you would have this chart! I tried searching for it on the forum but couldn't find it. Thank you!

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
i wish someone drove Sienna or Highlander Hybrid here and let us know what is the difference in feel between them and Rav4.

Rav4 is 700lbs lighter than Sienna and 0.8s faster 0-60 - 7.1s vs 7.9s according to MT.

I expect it to be a lot faster in-gear than Rav4 under 50mph, and noticably faster afterwards. More refined because engine runs at lower rpm.

I see it more as around the city and refined gains, 0-60 still wont be anything crazy, mid-6's at best?

Will1991

Reactions
@Gecko , I believe it was here.

March 26th for the online presentation?

20210310_NewNX.jpg

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
i wish someone drove Sienna or Highlander Hybrid here and let us know what is the difference in feel between them and Rav4.

Rav4 is 700lbs lighter than Sienna and 0.8s faster 0-60 - 7.1s vs 7.9s according to MT.

I expect it to be a lot faster in-gear than Rav4 under 50mph, and noticably faster afterwards. More refined because engine runs at lower rpm.

I see it more as around the city and refined gains, 0-60 still wont be anything crazy, mid-6's at best?

I have driven both. We have a '20 RAV4 Hybrid Limited and I recently drove a '21 Highlander Hybrid Limited. I would say the weight difference offsets the power gain in the Highlander... they drive pretty similar day-to-day to me. I would actually say that the RAV4 is a bit quicker, which is probably understandable based on the weight. Above "70%" or so, the Highlander runs out of steam quickly but the RAV4 feels pretty quick on its feet when you get on it.

Reactions
Will the 2022 Lexus Prime be a constrained availability? Currently in the State of Florida, Toyota has no RAV4 primes for sale. I've been told it's because they are not a Carb State. You have to go out of State to buy one(NY). South East Toyota does not participate. Will Lexus be the same?

Sulu

Expert
Reactions
The reason for low supply of the RAV4 Prime is because Toyota cannot produce enough batteries so they are selling them in places that have highest demand and/or have stricter fuel efficiency requirements (in other words, the CARB states).

If Toyota can overcome the battery shortage, supply of the NX PHEV models should not be constrained.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
The reason for low supply of the RAV4 Prime is because Toyota cannot produce enough batteries so they are selling them in places that have highest demand and/or have stricter fuel efficiency requirements (in other words, the CARB states).

If Toyota can overcome the battery shortage, supply of the NX PHEV models should not be constrained.

right, they also reserve it for markets that need it more - like some EU countries, where Prime is now a best seller.

A bit of this is also they dont want to do it since it cost them too much, which was always their problem with EVs anyway.

Reactions
it's discouraging to hear. I think the Carb states is a political thing. Something about Toyota gets credits for selling in Carb States. New York has more Primes than they sell thus all of the out of state sales going on.

Is Lexus mixed up in this CARB stuff?

Sulu

Expert
Reactions
it's discouraging to hear. I think the Carb states is a political thing. Something about Toyota gets credits for selling in Carb States. New York has more Primes than they sell thus all of the out of state sales going on.

Is Lexus mixed up in this CARB stuff?
The California Air Resources Board (CARB), like the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) sets vehicle fuel economy standards in an effort to control air pollution; the CARB, however, is older than the EPA and so has been allowed to set its own, different (stricter) emissions standards than the EPA. States other than California also have the choice to follow the CARB's stricter vehicle emissions standards or follow the EPA's standards.

All automakers that sell vehicles in the CARB states have no choice but to follow those stricter standards. It is because of the stricter CARB standards that some low-polluting or zero-emissions vehicles (like the fuel-cell powered Toyota Mirai) are only available in CARB states.

In the late 1960s and 1970s, California's air was very polluted, but thanks to CARB, its air is much cleaner now. It is because of CARB, with its strict diesel pollution standards, that the air quality in large North American cities is cleaner than large European cities.

I believe that you have confused the CARB fuel economy / emissions standards with California's greenhouse gas emissions cap and trade system, where a cap (upper limit) has been placed on the emissions that an organization is allowed to emit, and organizations that emit under the limit earn credits that they may sell to organizations that emit over the limit (for example, Tesla, which sells zero-emissions vehicles, earns many credits that it sells to companies that emit over the limit). I do not know if Toyota (which probably includes Lexus) buys (emitting over the limit) or sells (emitting under the limit) emissions credits.

If this is political, it is because certain politicians have made it so.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Here goes a spy shot:

169823564-486634799142660-6668837937567705319-n.jpg

I know we already know how it looks, but it's the first "real" photo I see, and it looks good with nicely done proportions.

The leak that wasn’t to be a leak doesn’t show the full production car. Even the non F SPORT is a looker. People will be really surprised.

The interior tho...... magnifique