NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
My GX had some failed/snapped welds within the first ~4k miles, and you can imagine how unhappy I was with that on a brand new $68k vehicle.

Lexus really did not care, hauled it off to a local body shop for some welding work and brought it back to me 2 weeks later.

I can't imagine they'll do any more than that for the NX, unfortunately.

Pretty bad Lexus customer experience.
How did you figure out they had failed/snapped welds?

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Curious if you are pondering Carvana or Carmax at this point.

Honestly no... but I probably could. The problem would be getting another GX Luxury, which would be nearly impossible in this market. I got mine a year ago when 4Runners were first becoming scarce so I got a crazy trade-in value ($800 less than I paid 2 years prior when brand new), and there were still enough GXs to be had. I also got 0.9% financing.

Right now, GXs are scarce, selling over MSRP, and it seems most people are getting 3-4% APR even with excellent credit.

I'm really unhappy with the snapped welds and expressed major concern to Lexus about what this could mean for the rest of the car, but they had an FTS and several master technicians review the car and felt it was an anomaly only present in the passenger side C pillar. I also have the 100k mile extended platinum warranty, so if I hear so much as a peep or creak over the next 92k miles, it will be going right back and I will be asking to reopen the case that was created.

I have been using the same service advisor for many years now (he moved from Toyota to Lexus) and I also asked him for his honest opinion, and he told me it was a freak issue that he would not be concerned about. I also have friends and contacts in the southern area office who helped give me peace about it.

Overall, not happy with the issue and not particularly happy with how it was handled, but I do really love my GX and can't imagine anything better. I also dislike the 22+ tablet infotainment screen 😜

Reactions
Honestly no... but I probably could. The problem would be getting another GX Luxury, which would be nearly impossible in this market. I got mine a year ago when 4Runners were first becoming scarce so I got a crazy trade-in value ($800 less than I paid 2 years prior when brand new), and there were still enough GXs to be had. I also got 0.9% financing.

Right now, GXs are scarce, selling over MSRP, and it seems most people are getting 3-4% APR even with excellent credit.

I'm really unhappy with the snapped welds and expressed major concern to Lexus about what this could mean for the rest of the car, but they had an FTS and several master technicians review the car and felt it was an anomaly only present in the passenger side C pillar. I also have the 100k mile extended platinum warranty, so if I hear so much as a peep or creak over the next 92k miles, it will be going right back and I will be asking to reopen the case that was created.

I have been using the same service advisor for many years now (he moved from Toyota to Lexus) and I also asked him for his honest opinion, and he told me it was a freak issue that he would not be concerned about. I also have friends and contacts in the southern area office who helped give me peace about it.

Overall, not happy with the issue and not particularly happy with how it was handled, but I do really love my GX and can't imagine anything better. I also dislike the 22+ tablet infotainment screen 😜
How dare you no like the new GX infotainment system?😈It sucks right now that the market is what it is, otherwise, if a 22 was readily available and not marked up...

Will1991

Reactions
This should be as the eLatch system works:

image.png

image.png

1) It first makes the light on the mirror lit if it senses possible danger
2) If you try to open the door, the system buzzes twice and cancels the opening with the light flashing while getting a message
3) After the space is clear, it allows the door to open

To avoid stress on less aware owners/users about this system, you also get a warning saying "Watch for traffic".
This way, it's expected to reduce stress on less aware owners/users and avoid thinking they're trapped inside the car.

There is also another dimension, on busier roads it may be tricky, so you can click three times (because two could be accidental) in 3 seconds or continuously press the button during 2.5sec. You also get, of course, a manual override.

Reactions

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
Genesis trend aka honda trend back at it. The NX drove way better and sportier and still loses. lol

Seemed like the review came down to price mostly. Genesis can infinitely undercut the competition to gain glowing reviews if discussing MSRP. However the reality of the customer situation appears vastly different; NX can be had for some discounts, while the Genesis is ADMs all day.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Seemed like the review came down to price mostly. Genesis can infinitely undercut the competition to gain glowing reviews if discussing MSRP. However the reality of the customer situation appears vastly different; NX can be had for some discounts, while the Genesis is ADMs all day.

NX is sold out so not sure what discounts. F Sport and 450h+ truly tough to get.

Unless my math is wrong we are talking $3,000 or so difference on 50k cars which is nothing.

Again they moved goal posts. Don’t tell us it’s all about sport then suddenly the sportier car loses.

Few other notes.
I had no idea the GV70 is longer and wider. Looks small in person. Also much larger fuel tank. It is significantly faster.
NX is 300lbs lighter. NX actually has more torque.

Obviously both well done, you can’t lose with either. I expect the Sport GV70 to be sportier than the NX. I would get that victory. Don’t tell me a sportier NX suddenly loses to luxury and price.

Genesis Trend aka Honda Trend

Nights

Fan
Reactions
NX is sold out so not sure what discounts. F Sport and 450h+ truly tough to get.

Unless my math is wrong we are talking $3,000 or so difference on 50k cars which is nothing.

Again they moved goal posts. Don’t tell us it’s all about sport then suddenly the sportier car loses.

Few other notes.
I had no idea the GV70 is longer and wider. Looks small in person. Also much larger fuel tank. It is significantly faster.
NX is 300lbs lighter. NX actually has more torque.

Obviously both well done, you can’t lose with either. I expect the Sport GV70 to be sportier than the NX. I would get that victory. Don’t tell me a sportier NX suddenly loses to luxury and price.

Genesis Trend aka Honda Trend

Definitely no/minimal discounts in Australia for the NX. For the 350h and 450h+ models, wait times are 12-18 months on average for orders placed now. Lexus Australia cancelled all staff/family orders to try and get a few more units out to customers more rapidly.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Genesis matching traditional luxury brand quality is the biggest lie told in American car media. You pay less and you get a worse product. They are not the low-cost market disruptor that Lexus was in 1989.

Everything from switches, dials, surfaces, seat cushion are simply no match for BBAL. Genesis quality is comparable to Acura or Infiniti at best. No brand is comparable to Lexus when it comes to how switches and dials feel because these have been refined since the F-1 project (LS400).

I was really interested in Genesis quality before I came to U.S. and was eager to try them when I shopped for a car. I was deeply disappointed. The only Lexus products that have worse interior feel than any Genesis are the 'new' IS from 2013 and UX.

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
I'm no expert and far from knowledgeable but the GV70 is RWD-biased while the NX350 is FWD-biased, that alone tells me it's possible that the drivers liked the way the GV70 lacked understeer but then again the NX350 does have ACA, brake-based torque vectoring so maybe in corners at not at excessive speeds, it was a wash.

Good to know the 2nd gen NX handle much better. It hasn't always been the strong point for Lexus CUVs/SUVs.

Reactions
We have had our 450h+ for 10 days not. The CarPlay is not at all stable. Profiles some times load some times not. Basically that part of the infotainment system is buggy as all hell. We are going back soon for the 3rd time to see if they can figure it out.
We have had 2018 Lexus NX, 2021 highlander hybrid platinum, 2015 lexus lx 570. And a couple of BMWs (2017 and 2018). This is the worst infotainment issues we have ever dealt with. It’s maddening. The vehicle is brilliant otherwise.
Same problem with ours, connects 95% of the time when plugged in. Have to turn off car and restart, which usually allows a connection. Sometimes 3 restarts!

I spoke to a wireless CarPlay dongle vendor who claims the USB port is flaky on the RX450h and can be replaced. Talked to Lexus 'tech/genius' who handles CarPlay questions at our dealership. He suggested we bring it in and have it tested and maybe replaced. While he didn't say so, sounds like they know there's an issue.