mediumhot

Follower
Reactions
Something we forgot about is that the new Tazuna interior concept was designed to look right with a yoke steering wheel.

It's a very angular design and the flow of the lines follow the yoke. A traditional round steering wheel breaks the harmony of the overall design. It's also limited by the flat panel screen as it's designed for curved OLED screens.

Another missing element are small "ear" screens around the MID for digital side mirrors. The AC vents are placeholders and in the future could become invisible vents like those in Tesla.

Tazuna is a very good future proof concept that will mature when technology catches up. I also personally like the 3GS's "button drawer" design. They could use similar concept in the shifter region to get both physical button access and a minimalistic look.

The RZ has the best implementation of the Tazuna interior especially with the yoke:
View attachment 8016
View attachment 8015

IMO RZ dashboard layout is not designed to accommodate the yoke at all. It was designed to accommodate regular steering wheel which is quote obvious as the wavy driver side of the dash gives it away. At the time of design stage they probably weren't even sure if yoke would be even a thing during the RZs lifetime. When yoke is attached to this already top heavy design dashboard its weight gets even more prominent. With regular wheel the actual upper part of the rim hides the upper part of the dashboard and directs your eyes through its opening straight into gauge display. With yoke there is no clear focus, it looks detached and the upper vents become prominent design element. They dominate against the yoke but they do not dominate against the regular wheel.

Hoop is there to divide the drivers display from rest of the dashboard. That's how it works. With no hoop they have to level the dashboard and make is the height smaller. Because of the central screen position it's impossible for them to do so in this design layout. Infotainment screen requires to have something on top of it unlike in RX but regardless of RZ or RX the infotainment screen has it's height and in order to integrate into the dash, the actual dash has to be thick especially on the left hand side of the wheel. That is why they have been putting big left hand side vents as an excuse for the design element to make it look like sum of all parts.

Take a look at the AFEELA. It's interior is made with yoke in mind. It's sterile but drivers focus is right where it should be while the actual center piece of the dash is thin enough not to dominate the yoke. Rule is simple but hard to pull off: You shave off the steering wheel, you need to shave the dash thickness/height too for balancing purposes.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Hi Mike I noticed that the 550h+ is not shown even though it was there at the event. Why is that? Do you see there being 7500 lease creds on the 550h+ bringing it in at under 70?

That one wasn’t a 550 but they were there. I will upload something soon.

I did ask about the credit, let me follow up for clarity.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Of course the Afeela design could accommodate the yoke better because it's a (fake) single piece screen design spanning across the entire cabin. I don't know the English terminology for that but in Chinese it's called "big connected screens". That approach is just easy to do anything so no wonder it's the trendy thing. Low effort, cheap to manufacture, looks modern, fits a lot of screens.

Toyota's problem is they are doing everything to resist the single piece screen trend, like how they used to resist the "tacked-on tablet" trend. The Tazuna concept will always run into these problems: 1) what do we out on the left of the MID if regulations still don't allow digital side mirrors 2) where do we put the vents if we can't (or don't want to) do invisible vents yet 3) how could we make the screen look natural without requiring a curved OLED 4) how do we reduce MID height before the necessary technology for HUD miniaturization become available (the height of their MID is NOT caused by the screen aspect ratio, but the size of the HUD unit behind it, if they make the MID flat there will be an ugly hump behind it).

So Lexus is stuck with unfinished designs of the Tazuna concept because of their reluctance to single piece screens and have to wait for a lot of technology to mature before having any interior resembling the LFZ concept.

Given how they got stuck with clumsy remote touch only to accept tacked on tablets (and created some of the worst interiors in recent years), I won't be surprised at all if they abandon Tazuna a few years later and just adopt the single piece screen when it's out of fashion.

Last edited:
Reactions
That one wasn’t a 550 but they were there. I will upload something soon.

I did ask about the credit, let me follow up for clarity.
Okay sounds great! Also I dont know if you heard (you probably did) but lexus said that they would make an electric truck if customers really want it. This would be sick (since it will likely be based on an all new platform) and I could see it underpinning the next LX, Truck, and if I'm keeping my fingers crossed maybe even an escalade fighter, making use of solid state. I know you have contact with lexus and it would be sick if you could pitch this idea to them.

Reactions
Quick look at the 550 again… If it had 7 seats it’s damn near a perfect family vehicle. And needs a cool box.

2024 Lexus TX 550h+ in Silver | Plug in Hybrid
And needs wood trim as at least an option...and definitely needs at least a tan interior option! 😀

Last edited:
Reactions
This is sad for us atleast. the sport lux is 70 so the phev lux will be 80. we were really hoping for a 73 tx550h+. We want decent MPG so we are now looking at a Grand Highlander hybrid.

Last edited:
Reactions
I'm loving it! I've been told Lexus is going to fully load up all TX Luxury package options, so I'd end up with 22" wheels which isn't a good thing in Minnesota. On the other hand, with every option including the 22" wheels, the MSRP would be $69,675.

I'm actually thrilled with that as a new X7 or GLS would be about $100k. I'll probably be just as happy driving the TX and keep the extra $30k in my pocket knowing I'll have less depreciation and maintenance costs as well.

The extra performance of the German SUVs doesn't matter though the TX won't likely be as quiet which is the only thing I may miss.

The F-Sport intrigues me but it only really gives speed and doesn't match some of the other characteristics in terms of handling compared to the German SUVs.

Reactions
Did Lexus drop Matador Red as a paint color? It was on the POG but not on the build and price or in the brochure.

Reactions
Imagine $80k for 550h+ without $7.5k EV credit. Lexus successfully priced themselves out for the plugin.
I dunno, $80k for the 550h+ sounds like excellent pricing in comparison to the competition. Looking at the competition that has an actually usable 3rd row and you're looking at the GLS/X7, which are both in the vicinity of $95k optioned around what the TX can have, or the BOF SUVs which are in that ballpark as well. None of 'em have a PHEV option to my knowledge.

If you compare it to the tweener competition--primarily MDX and QX-60, $80k would put it more expensive, but again, none of the competition have a PHEV in this class.

Unless there are some vehicles I'm drawing a complete blank on, the 550h+ at or around $80k puts it in uncharted territory in terms of the competition.

Reactions
Did Lexus drop Matador Red as a paint color? It was on the POG but not on the build and price or in the brochure.
Could be a supply chain thing. They were also supposed to make 22-inch wheels standard on the 350 lux. I would expect the matador red and the 22-inch standard wheels to drop when the 550h+ comes out.