Reactions
I wonder how many people in a blind test could tell any difference vs the sustainability benefits
The average person probably can’t tell (hence probably why TMC strategically made a decision to go cheaper), but as an enthusiast it’s noticeable.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
My $.02: I’ve noticed this cheapening by Lexus through the years. Take for instance Nuluxe. Used to be where the Germans politely asked you to pay extra for leather whereas Lexus had it as standard; this helped to increase their value factor against their competitors. Nowadays, it’s either an up charge (taking a page from the Germans) or completely unavailable yet you are still paying $50k+ for fake leather seating for a new Lexus. Everyone has their opinion on Nuluxe, but if I’m paying $50k+ I’d want the real deal. /end rant

I agree completely. This is a slippery slope - when NuLuxe came on the scene, it was used in the CT first I believe? Then the NX and IS. A lot of the conversation at that time was that it's ok for $30k-something vehicles to use it as an entry-level option, but it shouldn't go beyond that. Now Nuluxe is on everything except for the flagship vehicles, with real leather being available in more expensive luxury or luxury+ packages on ES, RX, TX and GX. I feel like this transition with "trim" is similar.

I wonder how many people in a blind test could tell any difference vs the sustainability benefits

If there's a sustainability element, which makes sense, I think it would be great for Lexus to issue a press release or some sort of thinking behind the change. Otherwise it just looks like cost cutting.

It's hard to be making a case for purpose built, dedicated luxury vehicles with vinyl seating and plastic trim.

Reactions
Thank you, Overall I like the TX design except that it doesn't come with the hybrid in the base model (350 - 7 seat configuration), and I don't know if it's worth to wait another year!

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Real leather requires so much maintenance. It's incredible how little care most Lexus owners put on their leather interior. You can find 2018 LS with completely torn steering wheel seats and arm rest. If you look at the "all leather" era Lexus (2000-2014) on the user market, very very few have seats in acceptable condition.

The bigger problem is again Lexus USA's maximum volume approach of either getting the second-to-lowest cookie cutter trim, or expensive fully loaded trim in their inventory. So customers have no option of just getting better materials. In Japan you can always get leather interior with fully customizable colors with any car you buy.

Last edited:

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Real leather requires so much maintenance. It's incredible how little care most Lexus owners put on their leather interior. You can find 2018 LS with completely torn steering wheel seats and arm rest. If you look at the "all leather" era Lexus (2000-2014) on the user market, very very few have seats in acceptable condition.

The bigger problem is again Lexus USA's maximum volume approach of either getting the second-to-lowest cookie cutter trim, or expensive fully loaded trim in their inventory. So customers have no option of just getting better materials. In Japan you can always get leather interior with fully customizable colors with any car you buy.

Agreed. Nuluxe is great for 95% of owners and most people don't know the difference anyway.

Reactions
Next month’s Japan Mobility Show will set the stage for Lexus’ (and TMC in general) future as far as products are concerned in the near future and beyond. I can only ask for it to return our optimism in the brand… I’m sick of inhaling copium all the time…
I look forward to hearing updates on new vehicles following that show.

mikeavelli

Reactions
I don’t even know if it’s cheapening anymore. Apple dropped all leather products for carbon reasons. I rarely hear people talk about leather like in the past.

it just doesn’t seem to be on peoples lists unless the car is 100k

Brickhead

Fan
Reactions
I can careless whether it’s genuine leather or not. Because nuluxe looks and feels good enough. What bothers me the most is the trend that Lexus is cheapening its overall interior designs so much so that new models like the TX and GX scream CHEAP. I think some wood trim would easily make a difference in these vehicles. When it comes to interior design and luxury, today’s Lexus models are a far cry from those in the 1990’s and early 2000’s.

Last edited:

mikeavelli

Reactions
I’m not here to argue if it’s better or not. What I will say is people bitched constantly about remote touch and the wanted touch screen back. Lexus gives us a massive 14” touchsceeen and we are now complaining about the interior theme around it.

Lexus is pretty much one of the few brands integrating the screen and not just slapping on an ipad. It seems tho this might hurt the feel of luxury. The slap on screens in a Benz for example are surrounded by wood etc.

Overall maybe they should add more wood or aluminum or leather. I dunno. It’s harder to be original than to just copy someone.

Ima just blame Tesla lol

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I’m not here to argue if it’s better or not. What I will say is people bitched constantly about remote touch and the wanted touch screen back. Lexus gives us a massive 14” touchsceeen and we are now complaining about the interior theme around it.

Lexus is pretty much one of the few brands integrating the screen and not just slapping on an ipad. It seems tho this might hurt the feel of luxury. The slap on screens in a Benz for example are surrounded by wood etc.

Overall maybe they should add more wood or aluminum or leather. I dunno. It’s harder to be original than to just copy someone.

Ima just blame Tesla lol

Yup. Gotta pay for big screens, hybrid batteries and new platforms somehow 💸. Just a reflection of changing buyer preferences these days and Lexus is doing what they've gotta do.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Yup. Gotta pay for big screens, hybrid batteries and new platforms somehow 💸. Just a reflection of changing buyer preferences these days and Lexus is doing what they've gotta do.

Also the competition is fierce from even brands like Mazda. This isn’t 1998. Parity has been achieved as everyone has gotten better. It’s tough to get a bad interior anywhere. When I sat in the Q7, MDX, QX60 they all had really good interiors and good materials for the most part. Nothing to really complain about and just a preference on style. Only the QX60 showed signs it was gonna have issues later.

The TX does trump them with the massive screen.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Something we forgot about is that the new Tazuna interior concept was designed to look right with a yoke steering wheel.

It's a very angular design and the flow of the lines follow the yoke. A traditional round steering wheel breaks the harmony of the overall design. It's also limited by the flat panel screen as it's designed for curved OLED screens.

Another missing element are small "ear" screens around the MID for digital side mirrors. The AC vents are placeholders and in the future could become invisible vents like those in Tesla.

Tazuna is a very good future proof concept that will mature when technology catches up. I also personally like the 3GS's "button drawer" design. They could use similar concept in the shifter region to get both physical button access and a minimalistic look.

The RZ has the best implementation of the Tazuna interior especially with the yoke:
2023_Lexus_RZ_450e_Luxury_SbW_Thunderstorm_003-1024x676.jpg
2023-rz-450e-interior.jpg

Will1991

Reactions
LF-1 based ideas?

images

sl0519

Admirer
Reactions
Something we forgot about is that the new Tazuna interior concept was designed to look right with a yoke steering wheel.

It's a very angular design and the flow of the lines follow the yoke. A traditional round steering wheel breaks the harmony of the overall design. It's also limited by the flat panel screen as it's designed for curved OLED screens.

Another missing element are small "ear" screens around the MID for digital side mirrors. The AC vents are placeholders and in the future could become invisible vents like those in Tesla.

Tazuna is a very good future proof concept that will mature when technology catches up. I also personally like the 3GS's "button drawer" design. They could use similar concept in the shifter region to get both physical button access and a minimalistic look.

The RZ has the best implementation of the Tazuna interior especially with the yoke:
View attachment 8016
View attachment 8015

Well designed, true metallic (magnesium?) vents unlike the cheap glossy plastic-looking RX / NX / TX vents......

NomadDan

Follower
Reactions
I think the RZ has one of the best dash layouts of any current Lexus. I like the lower screen. It doesn’t look like an afterthought like some of the other Lexus/Toyota screen locations. LBX is the same way.

Reactions
2024 Lexus TX 350 | Matador Red Mica | Lexus Southern Area
Hi Mike I noticed that the 550h+ is not shown even though it was there at the event. Why is that? Do you see there being 7500 lease creds on the 550h+ bringing it in at under 70?