16th Generation Toyota Crown (Sedan, Cross, Sport, Estate/Signia)

What do you think it is?

• Lexus GS

Votes: 4 10.0%
  • Toyota Crown

Votes: 32 80.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 10.0%

• Total voters

Sulu

Expert
Reactions
I wonder how much more expensive the Crown Insignia will be. My guess is $5-8k?
I don't remember the price of the Venza but given the high (Lexus ES-level) price of the Crown crossover, I would not be surprised to see the Crown Signia priced quite (outrageously) high.

carguy420

Admirer
Reactions
I am going to miss the Venza -- I think it's one of Toyota's best products. We have two in the family so I drive them regularly and am always impressed by what a great package it is: Same money as a RAV4 Limited but 3x nicer interior, hybrid only, nice design, AWD standard, premium features. Dealers also mention Venza being an easy sale because it's such a great package.

I wonder how much more expensive the Crown Insignia will be. My guess is $5-8k?

I guess Toyota is trying to build out the Crown name here, but with the Venza now in its 4th model year, why not just cut it short and call this the 3rd gen Venza? People are familiar with that name vs. trying to differentiate between "Crown Crossover" and "Crown Insignia," which I doubt will ever happen.
The current Venza is a Harrier after all, a Japan-centric luxury grade Toyota, of course it's gonna feel nice. The 1st and 2nd gen RX are basically rebadges of their equivalent generation of Harrier. If the Harrier and RX never became separate models, the current Venza would be a Lexus RX. Kinda silly that for a higher trim level RAV4, they are asking the same price as a Venza/Harrier. It seems to be a thing with the globalized Toyota models, where what you get for your money isn't quite as nice as a similar Japanese market focused model.

Sulu

Expert
Reactions
The current Venza is a Harrier after all, a Japan-centric luxury grade Toyota, of course it's gonna feel nice. The 1st and 2nd gen RX are basically rebadges of their equivalent generation of Harrier. If the Harrier and RX never became separate models, the current Venza would be a Lexus RX. Kinda silly that for a higher trim level RAV4, they are asking the same price as a Venza/Harrier. It seems to be a thing with the globalized Toyota models, where what you get for your money isn't quite as nice as a similar Japanese market focused model.
That is the difference between the American and Japanese (and, to a greater extent, Asian) markets. The American have very stubborn thoughts about automotive prices -- generally, the smaller the model, the cheaper must be the price, and mass market brands cannot sell premium vehicles at premium prices.

The North American Venza, despite the fact that it could be the RX, is a small vehicle and it is sold by a mass-market brand; so it cannot be expensive because it is small and it cannot seem premium because it is sold as a Toyota. (Volkswagen America ran into this problem with the Phaeton, a premium car from a mass-market brand, which people refused to buy.)

The Japanese market does not have that problem. The Venza can exist as a premium-like model from Toyota, and demand higher prices.

Gor134

Admirer
Reactions
See I would agree with you but IMO the market has changed. People are out here paying ADMs on the new Prius Prime and Rav4 Prime, neither of which are cheap by any means

Sulu

Expert
Reactions
Looking at some of the initial impressions and I learned that this car will come in 2 trim levels in the USA (XLE and Limited) but only in the single Limited trim here in Canada. No doubt it will be expensive!

Unless Canadians really need a wagon, it may be better to wait for the next Lexus ES, at similar prices.

Sulu

Expert
Reactions
See I would agree with you but IMO the market has changed. People are out here paying ADMs on the new Prius Prime and Rav4 Prime, neither of which are cheap by any means
Ah, yes, I had forgotten about the Prime models but those may be special cases.

carguy420

Admirer
Reactions
Previously I've talked about Toyota kinda eating back some of their words about “no more boring cars” and now Akio Toyoda talks about worrying Toyota will become boring again lol.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Cars are getting boring in general. Even if your cars are relatively not boring, they will still be boring compared to before.

It's very hard to make not boring cars when both regulations and customer taste prefer boring products.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
It is a while cars have been boring, it isn’t getting any worse really, except that they are just not getting better.

carguy420

Admirer
Reactions
With a big part of Toyota's sales coming from developing countries, just catering and “optimizing”(downgrading) for those markets alone will ensure Toyota will have boring cars in their lineup. Unless they are willing to become a bit less stingy, which they won't.

carguy420

Admirer
Reactions
Cars are getting boring in general. Even if your cars are relatively not boring, they will still be boring compared to before.

It's very hard to make not boring cars when both regulations and customer taste prefer boring products.
Speaking of customer tastes, so more and more people want boring vehicles, is it because the majority of car buyers are getting older and older or is it because the newer generations just don't care that much about cars and driving anymore or is it some other reasons?

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I guess we can say that sedans are maybe getting more boring, which would make sense as the market is shrinking, but I wouldn't say this applies to "cars" overall. For the Camry, losing the V6 sucks but 300hp in FWD form wasn't optimal... 232hp, batteries and AWD are an awesome package in a different way, and I have heard word of GR Camry packing the hybrid max powertrain. That would be awesome.

Toyota's BOF SUV and truck lineup has never been better or more exciting, and the new 4Runner is just around the corner. I'm not excited by CUVs, but Toyota has a pretty solid lineup of them. The diversification here is of course a reflection of the market and we can't blame Toyota for that.

GR Supra, GR Corolla, GR86. Rumors of Celica and MR2 revival

IS 500, LC 500, RC F. LFA II on the way.

RX 500h. GX 550, GX 550h, GX Overtrail, LX 700h coming, LX Overtrail.

This is a pretty good time to be a Toyota and Lexus enthusiast...

I do think all automakers are going to have to figure out how to make EVs exciting because no ICE = no intake, no exhaust, headers, no noise, etc. and those are a lot of the things that make car ownership exciting for people like us.

Ali Manai

Follower
Reactions
Watching the crown sedan reviews they really love it specially the fcev and manu claim it has a smoither drive than the LS and way better than crossover and sport. Japanese really love cushy rides like those of old Cadillacs and Lincolns they had made the previous gen stiffer and more in line with german which was one of the biggest complaints now they brought back the cushy ride and everyone is happy. Cons were mainly no high output powertrain options, engine noise can be a bit loud as the interior is well insulated but for the engine noise. The reason people are loving the fcev is mainly it has a drive reminiscent of older luxury diesels with lots of torque from the get go although low on horsepower

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Watching the crown sedan reviews they really love it specially the fcev and manu claim it has a smoither drive than the LS and way better than crossover and sport. Japanese really love cushy rides like those of old Cadillacs and Lincolns they had made the previous gen stiffer and more in line with german which was one of the biggest complaints now they brought back the cushy ride and everyone is happy. Cons were mainly no high output powertrain options, engine noise can be a bit loud as the interior is well insulated but for the engine noise. The reason people are loving the fcev is mainly it has a drive reminiscent of older luxury diesels with lots of torque from the get go although low on horsepower

you mean the ev drive in fcev?

Hydrogen engine powers the battery and the car drives like lower power EV.

Ali Manai

Follower
Reactions
you mean the ev drive in fcev?

Hydrogen engine powers the battery and the car drives like lower power EV.
Yeah, the hydrogen is proving to be more popular although full tank is still half the range of the hybrid but it doesn't suffer from efficiency loss like bevs.
Hydrogen is proving to be more popular in Europe and japan.