LS500-18

Follower
Reactions
I think hydrogen makes the most sense in buses, semis, RVs, buses, ships, etc. It's not ideal for personal transport (cars). That's my North American perspective. I do think it may make sense in Japan for personal transport because their infrastructure is different.

Will1991

Reactions
About the ESU on the new eTNGA platform:

-> Electric diagram:
image.png

-> How it looks:
image.png

-> Comparasion between the normal 7kW AC charger and the add-on (see component bellow) 11kW charger (TMC is expecting only 20% going for he 11kW):

image.png

Another new thing, is that TMC is testing a 50% thermal efficiency T24 modified engine!
Disclaimer: It may need to burn H2 to comply with NOx regulations.

image.png

It uses two direct injectors:
image.png

And this is where TMC wants to go:
image.png

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Looks like the 2025 46.5% engine is pushed back for a new 50% engine.

Is it turbocharged lean burn or electrically supercharged?

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
So are we talking a revised T24, or is this a whole new engine?
It will change so much it might as well be a new engine.

As far as I know, there isn't any turbocharger developed for this kinds of lambda values (>2.5).
For this they're using a supercharger driven by a external motor.
Electric supercharger is kind of cheating though. The power consumed by the motor doesn't count as a parasitic loss to the engine compared to say SkyActiv-X which achieves 45% but has losses in the belt-driven supercharger.

I wonder why they moved from the previous 1.5 S/B (75 x 112.5) 500cc cylinder back to 1.2 S/B 600cc cylinder with this design. Maybe the 500cc design had too small bore (75mm) to package to center injector?

Ali Manai

Follower
Reactions
Another thing to note this has no port injection and compression ratio is pretty high for a turbo engine so a supercharger might make sense

Will1991

Reactions
It will change so much it might as well be a new engine.

Electric supercharger is kind of cheating though. The power consumed by the motor doesn't count as a parasitic loss to the engine compared to say SkyActiv-X which achieves 45% but has losses in the belt-driven supercharger.

I wonder why they moved from the previous 1.5 S/B (75 x 112.5) 500cc cylinder back to 1.2 S/B 600cc cylinder with this design. Maybe the 500cc design had too small bore (75mm) to package to center injector?

It’s pretty tight on the cylinder head:

image.png

sl0519

Follower
Reactions
View attachment 7039

Found this while scrolling through Pinterest. Unfortunately extremely low-res tiny photo, and reverse-image search can't produce a source.

Design proposals of next-gen Lexus IS? The top-right especially looks like a next-gen IS.

Upload it on CL and ask Carmaker1 what this is? I'm guessing it's just early design proposal of the heavily refreshed IS.

Gor134

Admirer
Reactions
Upload it on CL and ask Carmaker1 what this is? I'm guessing it's just early design proposal of the heavily refreshed IS.
Thanks, just uploaded it there! And the design language seems too wild and new to be the current "3.5IS" I feel.. ie, the RZ-esque taillights and new-style lower grille valances.. who knows !

Gor134

Admirer
Reactions
He responded.. turns out yeah it is an early design proposal but for the Toyota Mirai, based on the repurposed 5GS program.. explains why some of them look so similar to a Lexus design, and Toyota toned down those details a lot to look more Toyota.

Gor134

Admirer
Reactions
No word on when we'll hear more about the future of Lexus sedans beyond the ES yet huh? :/

Gor134

Admirer
Reactions
IS should have been released in 2024 but looks to be in 2025.

LS? Now that's a mystery.

You think we getting an EV IS for next generation? I mean, the current gen likely has another 2 years MAX and then it's out. Haven't had any trademark filings yet to imply anything new or EV like "IS450e" or whatnot :/

Levi

Expert
Reactions
There are three confirmed electric sports cars, the Porsche and Alpine and Lotus twins. Makes sense for Toyota to have one.