Ali Manai

Follower
Reactions
After the management change ev policy seems a bit too rushed, hybrids are the best of both worlds and it is already evident but toyota is still facing some competition from diesel in Europe, if they crammed in the 2.4l 2gd engine into the camry and es and paired it up with a hybrid i guess it would be an instant success

Levi

Expert
Reactions
I assume most EV’s will adopt some form of a teardrop shape for better cD…..
The only good looking car with teardrop shape is a Porsche. I'd prefer losing some range in favor of better shape, that is also the point of a sedan over a CUV.

mikeavelli

Reactions
The only good looking car with teardrop shape is a Porsche. I'd prefer losing some range in favor of better shape, that is also the point of a sedan over a CUV.

Oh I agree. Im the guy that puts wider wheels and tires on em 🤣. I’ll exchange range and mpg for individuality and better performance.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
A BEV IS coming in 2025 when Lexus just said next-gen EVs will start rolling out in 2026? I think Best Car has some things wrong.

Based on timing, it feels like IS will either skip a year (2025) and show up for 2026, or not necessarily be the "all new BEV" that Best Car is expecting.

IS could...
- Be eTNGA-based for the next generation, with new batteries/tech optimized over RZ (this would coincide with rumors of a 2025 heavy powertrain refresh for the RZ)
- Be TNGA-K based but AWD and all-hybrid with PHEV and BEV powertrains optional (IS 350h, IS 450h+, IS 500h?)
- Share a RWD platform/powertrains with the new Crown sedan (IS XXXh?)
- Be something different?

dylanfoos

Follower
Reactions
Also, the new powertrain that is going to in the LFR... We have had some hints that the powertrain will be in other models.

Gor134

Admirer
Reactions
A BEV IS coming in 2025 when Lexus just said next-gen EVs will start rolling out in 2026? I think Best Car has some things wrong.

Based on timing, it feels like IS will either skip a year (2025) and show up for 2026, or not necessarily be the "all new BEV" that Best Car is expecting.
If we're expecting a new IS by 2025/2026.. it's direction should be getting finalized if not already this year, so prototypes can start hitting the road this year or next year... and insiders start leaking more info to media.. man, wish we could at least know what direction it's taking.

I REALLY REALLY hope we get one final ICE gen but it's looking really unlikely probably?

JustADude

Follower
Reactions
I REALLY REALLY hope we get one final ICE gen but it's looking really unlikely probably?
SAME I NEED A LAST ICE VERSION
IS could...
- Be eTNGA-based for the next generation, with new batteries/tech optimized over RZ (this would coincide with rumors of a 2025 heavy powertrain refresh for the RZ)
- Be TNGA-K based but AWD and all-hybrid with PHEV and BEV powertrains optional (IS 350h, IS 450h+, IS 500h?)
If they make it share with the FR Crown that would be amazing. But sadly we'd get an EV version I think, even though a FR IS which would be expensive would still return more sales than a EV IS

ssun30

Expert
Reactions

IS could...
- Be something different?
BestCar post Scoops for public view three months after initial magazine publication. People who have a physical copy or eBook of the magazine already reported on this stuff.

The 2026 BEV news from Lexus came out last week. BestCar was basing their scoops on information before that, so don't read too much into the dates. Next IS will debut the new EV platform.

David Koichi from Automotive Press does a quick overview of the BestCar magazine for every issue. But he keeps his videos pretty short so he rushes through quickly without sharing details. He probably collaborates with Kirk Kreifels and let the full info drizzle over time.

Last edited:

Levi

Expert
Reactions
There could be an ICEV Lexus IS. It all depends on when BEVgate happens. If it does not happen early enough, ICEV IS could be rebadged as a Crown, same thing that happened with GS being rebadged as Mirai/Crown Sedan (but for other reasons).

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
ABSOLUTELY NOT. 💀💀

Would an IS500h similar to the RX 500h FSP be that bad? I know FWD-biased IS seems like sacrilege, but as Lexus winds down investment in RWD ICE platforms, there's not much else to work with and Direct4 has been praised in the RX 500h FSP...

Gor134

Admirer
Reactions
If we have a next-gen ES500h(only makes sense since we have a Crown Hybrid Max), I don't see where that leaves room for an IS500h on the same platform.

Ali Manai

Follower
Reactions
If we have a next-gen ES500h(only makes sense since we have a Crown Hybrid Max), I don't see where that leaves room for an IS500h on the same platform.
-If lexus really moves to bev for 2025 it wouldn't make sense to launch an all new es they might just facelift the current gen and add the 500h f sport performance.
-As for the powertrain for the upcoming crown sedan we have to wait another half a year it is rumoured to be unveiled around September alongside the mirai facelift. Hope they've done a good job with the interior cause the crossover didn't feel premium at all.