16th Generation Toyota Crown (Sedan, Cross, Sport, Estate/Signia)

What do you think it is?

• Lexus GS

Votes: 4 10.0%
  • Toyota Crown

Votes: 32 80.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 10.0%

• Total voters

LarryT

Follower
Reactions
According to best car initial plan for crown sedan was to share fr platform with the mazda 6 however due to some delays in development and issues it was quickly scrapped but toyota still intends to use the i6 engine in it's cars and crown being the obvious choice

Simply pathetic! Utilizing a Mazda specific powertrain/platform for mid-range Toyota/Lexus vehicles is sacrilegious & lazy.

Reactions
Better than using bmw

Disagree. This is such a stupid bandwagon to be on. The B58 is the most superior 6-cylinder engine on the market. It is the JZ that all of us have been asking for. It's reliable, stupidly powerful and torquey, yet unlike the JZ, it's lighter, and it's insanely fuel efficient. The B48 (which is basically the B58 with two cylinders lopped off albeit with some other differences) is not that much more fuel efficient, and it's a turbocharged 4-cylinder for crying out loud.

B58 > Mazda inline-six

I don't care. Nothing beats the B58. Period.

Ali Manai

Follower
Reactions
Disagree. This is such a stupid bandwagon to be on. The B58 is the most superior 6-cylinder engine on the market. It is the JZ that all of us have been asking for. It's reliable, stupidly powerful and torquey, yet unlike the JZ, it's lighter, and it's insanely fuel efficient. The B48 (which is basically the B58 with two cylinders lopped off albeit with some other differences) is not that much more fuel efficient, and it's a turbocharged 4-cylinder for crying out loud.

B58 > Mazda inline-six

I don't care. Nothing beats the B58. Period.
It is said that toyota engineers were also involved in the development of the i6 engine by mazda as initial plans were to also use it in the is and rc but there were significant changes in plans last year

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
I couldn't recall Mazda even developed a Skyactiv-G version of the 3.0L I6. I will be very surprised if the Skyactiv-X gets over 300PS. That mysterious sporty I6 Mazda RWD car exists in people's imagination. In that case what is the point of using it over say a T24 P2 hybrid that we know is under development?

Unless Toyota scrapped development of future ICEs (that's still possible), I don't see them using a Mazda engine.

LarryT

Follower
Reactions
I couldn't recall Mazda even developed a Skyactiv-G version of the 3.0L I6. I will be very surprised if the Skyactiv-X gets over 300PS. That mysterious sporty I6 Mazda RWD car exists in people's imagination. In that case what is the point of using it over say a T24 P2 hybrid that we know is under development?

Unless Toyota scrapped development of future ICEs (that's still possible), I don't see them using a Mazda engine.

Bookmarked. 😁

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
BestCar's "latest info" on the Toyota-Mazda FR collab claims "the line is thin" (i.e. the connection is uncertain) as Mazda itself has backed off from developing a FR sedan and coupe.

Ali Manai

Follower
Reactions
BestCar's "latest info" on the Toyota-Mazda FR collab claims "the line is thin" (i.e. the connection is uncertain) as Mazda itself has backed off from developing a FR sedan and coupe.
True but people are speculating toyota might use this instead of the v35 to seperate ls and crown (althogh with Ls potentially becoming full ev in 2025 would negate that) and also since mazda is developing the hybrid version of i6 with toyota (that makes it a more sensible choice than a b58 since it would be costly to implement a toyota hybrid system onto that engine)

JustADude

Follower
Reactions
True but people are speculating toyota might use this instead of the v35 to seperate ls and crown (althogh with Ls potentially becoming full ev in 2025 would negate that) and also since mazda is developing the hybrid version of i6 with toyota (that makes it a more sensible choice than a b58 since it would be costly to implement a toyota hybrid system onto that engine)
hopefully they can use this new I6 in other products rather than just the Crown, like IS or GS but IS is probably electric sadly.

Ali Manai

Follower
Reactions