5th Generation RX Discussion: Official Thread (RX 500h, 450h+, 350h and More)

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
2 piece like the gs350 F sports (initial product run)...nice

VP of marketing is ex Nissan right?

Last edited:

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
500h Comparison.png
Words are too complicated. Here is a diagram for new 500h system vs. old 500h system.

Performance-wise it certainly can't compare with multi-stage's crazy acceleration. But it's way simpler. Components are smaller and cheaper. But the most important thing about this system is scalability and adaptability. Change packaging to longitudinal and you get 550h for trucks. Change battery pack to 18.1kWh Li-ion and you get a 300kW 550h+. By 2025 swap out bipolar NiMH for solid-state Li-ion plus larger PCU and you get 350kW 600h. Most components are already sized for much higher output, for upgrades just swap out the limiting component like Legos (similar to existing A25-based 300h/350h/400h+/450h+ systems).

You cannot do the same with the multi-stage. An upgrade would require all components be changed.

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
View attachment 5914
Words are too complicated. Here is a diagram for new 500h system vs. old 500h system.

Performance-wise it certainly can't compare with multi-stage's crazy acceleration. But it's way simpler. Components are smaller and cheaper. But the most important thing about this system is scalability and adaptability. Change packaging to longitudinal and you get 550h for trucks. Change battery pack to 18.1kWh Li-ion and you get a 300kW 550h+. By 2025 swap out bipolar NiMH for solid-state Li-ion plus larger PCU and you get 350kW 600h. Most components are already sized for much higher output, for upgrades just swap out the limiting component like Legos (similar to existing A25-based 300h/350h/400h+/450h+ systems).

You cannot do the same with the multi-stage. An upgrade would require all components be changed.
Is the 6 speed purpose built for the new system, or repurposing of an old transmission?

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
RX 500h FSP is making clear why the LF-1 was cancelled, and you know that’s hard for me to admit.

Midsize, two row crossover with 367hp/406lb-ft and a performance AWD system is 95% of what the LF-1 would have been, and that would have required more R&D to bring to market with more compromises (weight, price, space, technology).
Exactly. The original rumored LF-1 with multi-stage 500h would cost at least USD 20k more for about the same performance. Possibly weigh as much as LX but not much more interior space than RX. Very little possibility for future upgrades. The RX lineup could be expanded if the need arises. We now know 550h+ is being developed for TX.

Is the 6 speed purpose built for the new system, or repurposing of an old transmission?
I'm not sure. They don't have any transverse 6-speed transmission with 550N.m torque capacity.

b.ba

Fan
Reactions
Does anyone know why only the rear overhang was shortened? In the pictures the front overhang isn't too noticeable due to it's better stance, but I can't rationalize why the front overhang wasn't touched while only the rear overhang was.

Reactions
VP of Marketing Vinay Shahani.. google him, the man is brilliant..View attachment 5910
Interesting background; he came from a Ford family then worked at Nissan and VW before making the move to Texas

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions
I really like the design minus the huge forehead in the front 3/4 view, perhaps a full grille would have helped it appear smaller.

Reactions: RAL

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Design is great, interior is best ever.

500h is awesome on paper, for Europe though, its efficiency is only 8% better than 350.
I hope in the future they add direct4 to the more traditional 450h+ setup.

Both 450h+ and 350h are significantly slower than in Rav4, i wonder how will the first drives look.

sl0519

Follower
Reactions
Design is great, interior is best ever.

500h is awesome on paper, for Europe though, its efficiency is only 8% better than 350.
I hope in the future they add direct4 to the more traditional 450h+ setup.

Both 450h+ and 350h are significantly slower than in Rav4, i wonder how will the first drives look.

Maybe it's just me but I kinda have mixed feelings about 500h, especially with this "FSP" designation. On one hand, 370ps, 400ish lb-ft certainly look promising on paper, but on the other hand, preliminary acceleration figure doesn't go along with "FSP" grade so well. Actually, if it wasn't the FSP naming, I would be totally okay for just a simple 500h. I hope it will get improved overtime because it feels like they are aiming the performance to traditional 6s, but it's rather closer to competition's 4s (Bimmer 30i / MB 300). Other than that I've really got nothing to complain.......it is leaps and bounds better than the past RXs.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Performance-wise it certainly can't compare with multi-stage's crazy acceleration.

The Multi-stage has crazy acceleration?

Considering weight and power differences, I think RX 500h will leave the LS 500h in the dust, and probably the LC 500h as well. Lexus drastically overstated performance numbers for those cars - they are slow.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Maybe it's just me but I kinda have mixed feelings about 500h, especially with this "FSP" designation. On one hand, 370ps, 400ish lb-ft certainly look promising on paper, but on the other hand, preliminary acceleration figure doesn't go along with "FSP" grade so well. Actually, if it wasn't the FSP naming, I would be totally okay for just a simple 500h. I hope it will get improved overtime because it feels like they are aiming the performance to traditional 6s, but it's rather closer to competition's 4s (Bimmer 30i / MB 300). Other than that I've really got nothing to complain.......it is leaps and bounds better than the past RXs.

Performance will be there, 350 is 7.1s 0-100kmh while 500h is 6.0.
Difference in overtaking will be bigger, plus direct4 will be giving you that rwd feel when needed.

CO2 is now not good anymore though, just like with german hybrids, so European pricing will be expensive, probably same or more than 450+

mikeavelli

Reactions
Koji Sato made it as well. We haven’t seen each other in 5 years. He was energetic and excited for the future and the transformation of the brand. When I asked about why the big change to the RX he stated Aiko said just make it very good and they kind of ditched Kaizen a bit to do that. Otherwise the 500h likely wouldn’t have happened.
71FBBC79-5DEE-4DEE-A772-1087FE58F91A.jpeg9CFECDE7-E6E7-4517-979C-E529763602CC.jpeg

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
The Multi-stage has crazy acceleration?

Considering weight and power differences, I think RX 500h will leave the LS 500h in the dust, and probably the LC 500h as well. Lexus drastically overstated performance numbers for those cars - they are slow.
As shown in that figure the LS500h AWD has merely 154hp/t. That's comparable power-to-weight ratio to:
ND MX-5
Civic SI
NX350
Cadillac Escalade
None of these cars can do 0-100km/h in 5.4s.

In that well-known Crown video it did 4.7s 0-100km/h. The Crown has 187hp/t, that's comparable to GR86, ES350, LS460. Again none of these can do 0-100 in 4.7s.

I think RX500h performance is understated, but also possibly real. Of course only real world tests will reveal its true performance. It comes down to how quickly the car switches from EV start to ICE on. When you test drive the RX500h it would be very helpful to see whether you can brake torque it like a conventional ICEV.