5th Generation (2018+) Lexus LS 500 & LS 500h Megathread

mikeavelli

Reactions
I was hoping the auto-translated captions would help, but I tried it and it didn't do so well.

In other news, my local dealer found a 2021 LS that meets my specs (Nightfall Mica exterior + Luxury Package, which there's apparently one of in the entire US). Vs. my '18 it adds the HUD and LSS+A (and of course all of the '21 updates like the touchscreen). It's currently being shipped cross-country, which apparently will take a few weeks.

nice mahn!!

TurboLag

Fan
Reactions
New improvements and orange brake calipers for the 2022 F-Sport in Japan :
003.jpg
Also new small updates and improvements in the USA :

Reactions
If only they came out with a short wheel base + lightened LS. I would seriously consider it as my GS replacement especially an F-Sport version.

Sulu

Admirer
Reactions
If only they came out with a short wheel base + lightened LS. I would seriously consider it as my GS replacement especially an F-Sport version.
A lighter, shorter-wheelbase LS would have to be a completely new model on a new (or heavily-revised) platform. The current GA-L platform is known to be heavy and it also has dictated the long front-end look that reduced passenger cabin size compared to the last (Gen4) model; shortening the wheelbase of the current model would reduce the rear seat legroom to even less than the current model's already cramped rear seat.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Shortening the LS's wheelbase by just 10cm will reduce cabin size to be less than the IS...the packaging efficiency of LS is similar to a coupe.

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
So can anyone clarify whether the lexus safety suite 2.5 includes teammate Level 2 Driving, or is that seperate from the Safety Suite?

I ask because the LS-H has the teammate available, but for 22, LS comes standard with the 2.5 upgrade.
NX gets 3.0 but no availability of teammate

#confusingmarketing

Smychavo

Follower
Reactions
Seen a few of these out on the road, they look so neat, god it must be so great being in the seat of one of those. I'm particularly a fan of the glass and pleated fabric trim, it's so striking.

Smychavo

Follower
Reactions

A review from a Toyota technician.
Ooh, I've gotten around to watching this vod. I can understand the qualms about the tech being a little below par compared with the German counterparts, though regarding his ding on the infotainment being a reskin of the Toyota, it's honestly no different to what everyone else does. MBUX is almost exactly the same from an S-Class or GT coupe compared to the A-Class, or from the 2 Series up to the 7 Series.
Even then it evidently manages to give a run for their money in comfort/refinement/style for thousands less than the competition.

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
Ooh, I've gotten around to watching this vod. I can understand the qualms about the tech being a little below par compared with the German counterparts, though regarding his ding on the infotainment being a reskin of the Toyota, it's honestly no different to what everyone else does. MBUX is almost exactly the same from an S-Class or GT coupe compared to the A-Class, or from the 2 Series up to the 7 Series.
Even then it evidently manages to give a run for their money in comfort/refinement/style for thousands less than the competition.
Luxury products are about feeling that the product you own is bespoke. Logic and value play second fiddle to owners wants and demands. While I agree with your sentiment, the luxury market buyer does what they want to do.

Smychavo

Follower
Reactions
Luxury products are about feeling that the product you own is bespoke. Logic and value play second fiddle to owners wants and demands. While I agree with your sentiment, the luxury market buyer does what they want to do.
I can see that to an extent, and that falls more onto the nature of the buyer themselves. If they really wanted something 'bespoke' they might as well step up to something well beyond this class of vehicle. But for those that don't, I only see those that are sticking to what they already know, or perceive to be 'the best'. I can only speak to what I would want, and that is something unique, and stylish inside and out. That's what the LS does for me, and the only alternative in the segment that truly speaks to me in this small segment would be the Quattroporte, wack switchgear and all.

mordecai

Follower
Reactions
I can see that to an extent, and that falls more onto the nature of the buyer themselves. If they really wanted something 'bespoke' they might as well step up to something well beyond this class of vehicle. But for those that don't, I only see those that are sticking to what they already know, or perceive to be 'the best'. I can only speak to what I would want, and that is something unique, and stylish inside and out. That's what the LS does for me, and the only alternative in the segment that truly speaks to me in this small segment would be the Quattroporte, wack switchgear and all.

Those that get the S-class/LS/7 series probably cannot afford a car that is truly “bespoke”, but at least the German brands are better at selling the fantasy that they are bespoke.