qtb007

Follower
Reactions
I think my overall thoughts are that the outside looks pretty but nothing else makes me feel even remotely excited. Are we really hyped up over stationary door handles? We were promised a "GAME CHANGER" "IT'S GOING TO DOMINATE". Like where? I'm confused! It's slow and has lack luster MPG.
Where do you get lackluster mpg? If fuel efficiency in a nice, comfortable, well-built package is your priority, the NX 350h and 450h+ are going to be hard to beat.

I feel like we have been waiting for something truly new from Lexus for a while now and this was their shot. When/ will we ever get a Lexus performance product from this decade?
Not sure why you would expect a hot rod NX at this stage. It has never been one in the past and none of the trims are named "F Sport Performance". And frankly I'm not sure who would even buy an NX F Sport Performance anyway. I'm taking my $55k over to the IS 500 if I want performance.

qtb007

Follower
Reactions
What I read was from the Autoblog review.

It's talking about the HP difference between the RAV4 and Venza to the 350h. But the 350h is going to recommend premium fuel?
I'd probably file that one under Autoblog doesn't know what they are talking about. What I'm seeing is that the NX 250, 350h, and 450h+ all run on regular and that the drivetrain is ported over from the Sienna and Highlander rather than the Rav4 or Venza.

Interestingly, the Venza hybrid transaxle shares the construction of the Sienna (MG1 and MG2 on separate axis) instead of Rav4 (MG1 and MG2 on the same axis), but it doesn't have quite as large MG1 and MG2 as the Sienna. This is based on the cutaway diagrams I'm seeing. Maybe mid torque versus high torque like we used to see back in the U760 and U660 days? Same basic construction, but lighter and lower capacity for the lower performance vehicles.

Last edited:

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
I'd probably file that one under Autoblog doesn't know what they are talking about. What I'm seeing is that the NX 250, 350h, and 450h+ all run on regular and that the drivetrain is ported over from the Sienna and Highlander rather than the Rav4 or Venza.

Interestingly, the Venza hybrid transaxle shares the construction of the Sienna (MG1 and MG2 on separate axis) instead of Rav4 (MG1 and MG2 on the same axis), but it doesn't have quite as large MG1 and MG2 as the Sienna. This is based on the cutaway diagrams I'm seeing. Maybe mid torque versus high torque like we used to see back in the U760 and U660 days? Same basic construction, but lighter and lower capacity for the lower performance vehicles.
No, all TNGA FWD hybrids are parallel transaxle. Only RWD hybrids are coaxial. The 300h system on RAV4/Harrier/Camry/ES uses a smaller MG2 (88kW) vs. 137kW on the 350h (Sienna/Highlander/NX/Prime). The 350h has 35% higher torque than 300h.

Actually the 300h system is the same as 250h system only with bigger ICE and battery.

Reactions
To me, the most compelling version is the NX 350h. But I'm not sure it's really dominant. Compare this to the Hyundai Tucson Hybrid Limited. Other than badge & projected long-term reliability & dealer-experience, are there any other areas that the new NX stands out against the Tucson?

Will1991

Reactions
No, all TNGA FWD hybrids are parallel transaxle. Only RWD hybrids are coaxial. The 300h system on RAV4/Harrier/Camry/ES uses a smaller MG2 (88kW) vs. 137kW on the 350h (Sienna/Highlander/NX/Prime). The 350h has 35% higher torque than 300h.

Actually the 300h system is the same as 250h system only with bigger ICE and battery.

I believe @qtb007 is mentioning the THS system evolution:

• From ICE+MG's in line:
images

• To multi-axis MG1+MG2:
05_02_en.jpg

But all the new FF-hybrids (Sienna, RAV4 and this new NX) uses the multi-axis setup.

qtb007

Follower
Reactions
I believe @qtb007 is mentioning the THS system evolution:

• From ICE+MG's in line:
images

• To multi-axis MG1+MG2:
05_02_en.jpg

But all the new FF-hybrids (Sienna, RAV4 and this new NX) uses the multi-axis setup.
Yep, that's what I was referring to. One note: Rav4 hybrid still has the single axis. Prime has the multi-axis.

Last edited:

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
To me, the most compelling version is the NX 350h. But I'm not sure it's really dominant. Compare this to the Hyundai Tucson Hybrid Limited. Other than badge & projected long-term reliability & dealer-experience, are there any other areas that the new NX stands out against the Tucson?
The NX exterior looks better, I bet the Tucson interior (at least in front of the driver) is better.

Now that the NX has a touch screen, besides the lopsided dashboard layout that isn't pleasing to the eye, there's probably not much to complain about.

I didn't check most reviews (one did complain about the noise level) but the NVH could be better on the Lexus since it's a premium/luxury model vs. regular Hyundai, non-Genesis model.

Had your question been different and asked if the NX was worth $10-15K more (I didn't check the pricing), then maybe the answer is IT's NOT. :)

Will1991

Reactions
@qtb007 , RAV4 Hybrid used the P710 transaxle and the Prime uses the P810 transaxle, but they’re both multi-axis.

I don’t recall any new FF TMC hybrid with in line MG’s.

This should be the same combination for the NX:

P710 for the NX350h
P810 for the NX450h+

qtb007

Follower
Reactions
@qtb007 , RAV4 Hybrid used the P710 transaxle and the Prime uses the P810 transaxle, but they’re both multi-axis.

I don’t recall any new FF TMC hybrid with in line MG’s.

This should be the same combination for the NX:

P710 for the NX350h
P810 for the NX450h+
Crap, I had the wrong doc up. Yes, the Rav4 Hybrid uses the P710. What I'm seeing for the NX 350h is the P810, though, same as Sienna and Highlander.

qtb007

Follower
Reactions

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Because performance matters to us, we set our sights on the mid-tier NX350 with standard all-wheel drive and an eight-speed automatic transmission powered by an all-new turbocharged 2.4-liter inline-four. With 275 horsepower, it's more powerful than rivals such as the Audi Q3, BMW X1, and Mercedes-Benz GLA. Pronounced turbo lag hampers this advantage, however.

So the 2.4T has "pronounced" turbo lag and so does the first iteration of the 3.4L TT V6. With the LX coming next week and Tundra in December, let's hope some strides have been made in this area.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
It's a 3.5 L TT V6. Yes it's laggy.

Lexus North America refers to it as 3.5L but the engine displaces 3,444cc so by rounding math, it really is a 3.4L and is referred to as such in much of the media and some non-US markets.

wyvern

Fan
Reactions
For those wondering what the NX's base screen of 9inch looks like
Base model looks really attractive, I really like the rims and I think the smaller touchscreen actually looks like it's more than enough. The level of standards equipment (in Japan at least) looks very generous.

Reactions
The NX exterior looks better, I bet the Tucson interior (at least in front of the driver) is better.

Now that the NX has a touch screen, besides the lopsided dashboard layout that isn't pleasing to the eye, there's probably not much to complain about.

I didn't check most reviews (one did complain about the noise level) but the NVH could be better on the Lexus since it's a premium/luxury model vs. regular Hyundai, non-Genesis model.

Had your question been different and asked if the NX was worth $10-15K more (I didn't check the pricing), then maybe the answer is IT's NOT. :)
Gecko had asked "how we were feeling" after the reviews. And the thing that struck me, in reflecting on what the new NX seems to be delivering, was how it seems to not really stand out. And for me, that feeling is accented in comparing with the Tucson Hybrid. And I don't just mean in terms of pricing.

A while back, when Jonas started complaining about Lexus having nothing interesting at the time, I suggested he wait, and see what happened. One of the things I suggested was a powertrain that included both hybrid and turbocharging. From what I've seen in the implementation of the hybrid into the Sienna & Highlander were problems with noise on full load (and braking), with the heavier vehicles, and I didn't think this met the refinement I would want in a Lexus. Others suggested that such a powertrain combination would be too costly.

Meanwhile, a few pages back in this Topic, there was a discussion of the lack of a mechanical AWD system, and with the conclusion that it makes sense to continue improvement of E-AWD. While this may work for some, I'm disappointed given my use conditions - in Minnesota, and living on a hill.

And yet, both of these developments (hybrid/turbo powertrain {and note with a pretty smooth 6 speed conventional transmission}, and mechanical AWD) were delivered by Hyundai on the Tucson Hybrid.

Lexus did well with the styling of the new NX and seems to have gotten the infotainment much, much better. And in these days, infotainment seems so key. But yet, I must say that I am disappointed that with all of its engineering resources, Toyota / Lexus did not deliver more on the NX. Now this is probably due to a strategic decision to focus on the new electric platforms. But again, for my use in a long-winter environment, I'm just not as interested in a full BEV. So I was hoping for more from the NX.

The new RX is coming in the next year or so, and maybe that will address my concerns.