Toyota Yaris Master Thread (Sedan & Hatch Discontinued for USA)

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
I am pretty sure it has been like that for a while. On that page it says "While GR Yaris isn't coming to the U.S., perhaps it's time the U.S. got a Toyota hot hatch to call its own" referring to the GR Corolla
Exactly! This is just one big teaser / setup for the upcoming GR Corolla.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
It's probably also market research to judge bringing the GR Yaris or a future version of it to NA. They have a thing you can sign up for to show interest.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
also, something to understand - new Yaris at its base, is a lot more expensive than before... it is now within 10% of Corolla price, as such it would not make sense in USA.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
As I told you years before that the Yaris and Corolla will always be more in the luxurious side than before taking the place of the CT

We already start seeing this with the current new TNGA-B Yaris and we will see it more with the next generation TNGA-C Corolla within another 2 or 3 years from now

Dare I say that the next Corolla may turn to be 1 / A3 / A class competitor!

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Toyota just took over Tommi Makinen Racing and is now directly managing the WRC program. Let's hope the new leadership can maintain their dominance.

I don't really know the true meaning of this change. We can't really tell whether Toyota and Makinen got along well after he lost Tanak to Hyundai. But to be fair his bet on Ogier and Evans delivered and we may finally see another British world champion after two decades.

According to the press release, Makinen will serve as their motorsport advisor. Presumably he will move to other programs and help GR develop better road cars. I'm not aware of other premier level championship series Toyota is joining that could use Makinen's expertise.

Reactions
Toyota just took over Tommi Makinen Racing and is now directly managing the WRC program. Let's hope the new leadership can maintain their dominance.

I don't really know the true meaning of this change. We can't really tell whether Toyota and Makinen got along well after he lost Tanak to Hyundai. But to be fair his bet on Ogier and Evans delivered and we may finally see another British world champion after two decades.

According to the press release, Makinen will serve as their motorsport advisor. Presumably he will move to other programs and help GR develop better road cars. I'm not aware of other premier level championship series Toyota is joining that could use Makinen's expertise.

Wtf is he not the head of the team anymore? Tommi Makinen was one of the greatest things that has happened to Toyota's WRC team.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Wtf is he not the head of the team anymore? Tommi Makinen was one of the greatest things that has happened to Toyota's WRC team.
That's why I don't know if this news should be taken positively or negatively. Toyota didn't remove Makinen from the team, they bought his entire team. We don't know if this is to sideline him, or to move him to road car development.
Having him with GR road car development is actually a good thing, like how he helped development of the Evo 6.5 which is the pinnacle of the entire Evo series, and how Senna was crucial to the immense success of gen 1 NSX.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions

Yaris destroys new Fit in fuel economy tests. The 1.5L gasoline version is actually very close to the Fit hybrid!

Yaris hybrid: 32.3 km/L (3.1 L/100km)
Fit hybrid: 25.8 km/L (3.9 L/100km)
Yaris 1.5: 23.4 km/L (4.3 L/100km)
Fit 1.5: 21.1 km/L (4.7 L/100km)

The Fit hybrid is such a disappointment...i-MMD is better than THS in most aspects on paper, but fails to deliver in real world. I wonder if it's due to SOC management. The Fit hybrid is slightly faster in acceleration tests but depletes charge too quickly. In Chinese tests Honda hybrids usually go into limp mode after 3 0-100km/h runs while Toyota hybrids can last about 10 runs.

I still prefer the exterior and interior design of Fit over (non-GR) Yaris though.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions

Yaris destroys new Fit in fuel economy tests. The 1.5L gasoline version is actually very close to the Fit hybrid!

Yaris hybrid: 32.3 km/L (3.1 L/100km)
Fit hybrid: 25.8 km/L (3.9 L/100km)
Yaris 1.5: 23.4 km/L (4.3 L/100km)
Fit 1.5: 21.1 km/L (4.7 L/100km)

The Fit hybrid is such a disappointment...i-MMD is better than THS in most aspects on paper, but fails to deliver in real world. I wonder if it's due to SOC management. The Fit hybrid is slightly faster in acceleration tests but depletes charge too quickly. In Chinese tests Honda hybrids usually go into limp mode after 3 0-100km/h runs while Toyota hybrids can last about 10 runs.

I still prefer the exterior and interior design of Fit over (non-GR) Yaris though.

good find.

French papers also compared Yaris Hybrid vs Clio e-tech and Yaris was a bit better, but both Clio and Fit are certainly contenders.
IMHO main problem in Europe is that Clio is like $3k more expensive than Yaris, for no good reason... that is going to be big distractor, tech being 10% worse not so much, imho.

Will1991

Reactions
It seems Toyota was able to enter a new championship with this new HSD system.
They’re getting so efficient they are almost cheaper to own than a BEV for the long therm.

This Yaris next to a e208 is cheaper until 300.000km or something like that.