Toyota Yaris Master Thread (Sedan & Hatch Discontinued for USA)

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
I can understand the decision not to offer such a vehicle in the U.S. *Too* many buyers either want it cheap & depreciated or expect small to mean "cheap".

Ford withdrew the ST & RS hatches from USA, because dumb dealers overpriced each initially at launch and then eventually the actual new buyers wanted everything at invoice or below, to the point it was too negligible to be profitable.

If you want something nice, be prepared to pay retail+TTL, not all the way down to invoice. That said, I don't support ADMs, but nor do I support stingy customers ruining a business case for niche product.

Last edited:

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
^ I call them badge snobs. They mostly buy Golf and 3 Series.
Exactly. BS always reverts to, "but-but what about da GTI or Golf R"? In the luxury class, of course the M3/M4 whether or not actually the best. Only reason I chose a BMW M3 6MT, was because I wanted a high performance manual and was willing to pay enough to get a well equipped 6-8 cylinder with a stickshift. A modern IS-F like that would have ticked the box.

If Giulia Quadrifoglio was available in US and UK like that, I would have gotten it preferably. But alas it wasn't meant to be.

Last edited:

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
I can understand the decision not to offer such a vehicle in the U.S. *Too* many buyers either want it cheap & depreciated or expect small to mean "cheap".

Ford withdrew the ST & RS hatches from USA, because dumb dealers overpriced each initially at launch and then eventually the actual new buyers wanted everything at invoice or below, to the point it was too negligible to be profitable.
I'll go on a side rant here. What you just said is crystal-clear and obvious as far as the Yaris GR and your Ford Fiesta and Focus hot hatches example. Yet even so-called car journalists can be cluelessly naïve at times. One of the local ones (who shall remain nameless) is a nice enough guy who I get along with personally. He enthusiastically posted a photo of Yaris GR on his Facebook page. One of his followers asked if this was coming to the U.S. "Yes, of course" was the so-called journalist's reply. WTF?! Someone in his position should know that this clearly wasn't happening. I politely set him straight and reminded him that with North American Yaris as facelifted Mazda2 there was, sadly, no way we'd be seeing this here. 😡

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
I'll go on a side rant here. What you just said is crystal-clear and obvious as far as the Yaris GR and your Ford Fiesta and Focus hot hatches example. Yet even so-called car journalists can be cluelessly naïve at times. One of the local ones (who shall remain nameless) is a nice enough guy who I get along with personally. He enthusiastically posted a photo of Yaris GR on his Facebook page. One of his followers asked if this was coming to the U.S. "Yes, of course" was the so-called journalist's reply. WTF?! Someone in his position should know that this clearly wasn't happening. I politely set him straight and reminded him that with North American Yaris as facelift Mazda2 there was, sadly, no way we'd be seeing this here. 😡
I wish that general media would not make such gaffes all the time. I had to learn the hard way of taking them with a grain of salt, because even myself who is not accurate in several cases, I watch my back on what I'm saying as much as possible.

I have unfortunately had to lay into a number of media outlets for poor reporting and getting the hopes up of people in an official capacity essentially.

The problem with this vehicle arriving in North America is because of the stigma paying for a compact vehicle above $30,000. The minute I saw the Mazda 2 rebadge earlier last year, even before then veiling of TNGA-B, I knew it was a mess.

I can forgive Toyota for not wanting to lose money on a fickle public. Same way I feel about RC-F vs DCT M4, not getting respect.

Will1991

Reactions
I'll go on a side rant here. What you just said is crystal-clear and obvious as far as the Yaris GR and your Ford Fiesta and Focus hot hatches example. Yet even so-called car journalists can be cluelessly naïve at times. One of the local ones (who shall remain nameless) is a nice enough guy who I get along with personally. He enthusiastically posted a photo of Yaris GR on his Facebook page. One of his followers asked if this was coming to the U.S. "Yes, of course" was the so-called journalist's reply. WTF?! Someone in his position should know that this clearly wasn't happening. I politely set him straight and reminded him that with North American Yaris as facelift Mazda2 there was, sadly, no way we'd be seeing this here. 😡

Well, inside car journalism subject Toyota has a big problem... The HSD's gearbox, the eCVT... Almost every single one of them keeps saying CVT gearbox, when mechanically they can't be further apart...

In my view this is such a big problem even I, sometimes, post a comment or two on Youtube car "reviewers"...

spwolf

Expert
Reactions

If you want something nice, be prepared to pay retail+TTL, not all the way down to invoice. That said, I don't support ADMs, but nor do I support stingy customers ruining a business case for niche product.

Japanese media has been talking about this 1.6l 260hp engine going into many different vehicles (if I remember correctly Corolla, C-HR and some Lexi too), i wonder how true is that and if it is actually the case, some of them might actually end up in US market.

But otherwise, as you know, in US market value vehicle by size, so something like this would never fly - nor did Euro Yaris/Fiesta, etc.

Reactions
giphy.gif

Will1991

Reactions
Correct me if I'm wrong, but, isn't GR the second best performance brand? Isn't the GRMN moniker the top of the range? But, I've got to admit, I'm not seeing how is it possible to improve on this ahahah

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
depending on which middle eastern state

It will be sold on all the ME Mediterranean states
Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia, Libya, Egypt, Israel, Lebanon, Syria & Turkey

Other states not yet
I have a confirmation from Turkish & Egyptian dealership

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
depending on which middle eastern state

It will be sold on all the ME Mediterranean states
Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia, Libya, Egypt, Israel, Lebanon, Syria & Turkey

Other states not yet
I have a confirmation from Turkish & Egyptian dealership
Thanks for that information. I had assumed that all those markets sold the newer but less sophisticated "Third World" (XP150) Yaris, as opposed to the outgoing XP130 "Euro-Japanese" Yaris/Vitz. Boy, was I wrong! The majority of those markets sell the "Euro-Japanese" XP130, so it stands to reason they'll start selling the new TNGA-B (XP210) Yaris in due course. The exceptions could be Libya, Lebanon and Syria, which currently sell the XP150 "Third World" Yaris sold in Asia (outside Japan) and Latin America as opposed to the "Euro-Japanese" XP130.

XP150 Yaris launched just over 2 years after XP130, so I'm very curious to see if the world (outside North America if it persists with its "Yaris as rebadged Mazda2" strategy) will eventually coalesce around a single TNGA-B Yaris (much as under TNGA, myriad Camrys and Corollas were eventually consolidated) or if the diverse Yaris models for different global regions strategy will continue.