Toyota Yaris Master Thread (Sedan & Hatch Discontinued for USA)

b.ba

Fan
Reactions
I must say I am impressed...

I don't know if it is just me but I am in love with how this looks. The short overhangs and more cab back design (relative to the previous generation) do a lot to improve the stance of this car. I wonder if the North American market is missing out...

Below are some leaked photos that are floating through the internet as of now.

Last edited:

Will1991

Reactions
It's official!

Also, it seems this is a gigantic leap forward regarding car electronics!
""Advanced Park"*2, Toyota's advanced parking support system (a first on a Toyota vehicle), and the latest Toyota Safety Sense, which now detects oncoming cars (a first on a Toyota vehicle) when turning right at an intersection and pedestrians crossing the street when turning right or left, are standard*3. "

It gets E-Four as an option and it seems traction battery is LiON, on a YARIS!

The new 3-cylinder 1.5 Dynamic Force Engine for HSD applications is all new, should return a big improvement since our current one it's not all that good on fuel economy...

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
It's official!

The Toyota Europe Newsroom 4th-gen Yaris release is also worth reading:

https://newsroom.toyota.eu/new-toyota-yaris--designed-for-urban-life/

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
This is instant hit in Europe. BTW all electric range is 6.4km.

that seems rather large, where did you read that?
I see that they promise 80% on EV during city drives, and Prius and Corolla numbers were around 55%, so they did something quite different - regen much stronger and bigger battery?

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
The Honda Fit hybrid is stepping up the game as well. The death of small diesel cars in Europe could be coming soon?

well it wont happen in Europe because of Honda that barely sells any cars :)

But death of small diesels is happening because of the costs - with all emission regulations, they cost more and more... some new vehicles dont even have diesel options in B sector anymore.

Will1991

Reactions
Also, it's capable of doing up to 120km/h in EV mode, this is a revolution for the Yaris regarding efficiency!

This should put this new Yaris bellow 80g/km.CO2, and it also makes an amazing platform to make a compact crossover to go against Renault Captur.

Well done Toyota, very well done, congratulations!

flexus

Admirer
Reactions
Also, it's capable of doing up to 120km/h in EV mode, this is a revolution for the Yaris regarding efficiency!

This should put this new Yaris bellow 80g/km.CO2, and it also makes an amazing platform to make a compact crossover to go against Renault Captur.

Well done Toyota, very well done, congratulations!
Toyota's European line up is very strong: New Yaris, New Corolla, New CHR, New RAV4 and New Camry.

flexus

Admirer
Reactions
keep in mind Camry nobody cares about but Russians, and they lost Corolla Verso, Avensis and few other minor models in past year.

For new growth they need Yaris CUV, which is likely coming very soon.
Camry is great competition against Suberb and Passat. It's way better than Insignia or 508. I'd even argue that it's taken some customers from MB C. Only setback is that it doesn't have estate version but then it would lose it's luxurious image.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Camry is great competition against Suberb and Passat. It's way better than Insignia or 508. I'd even argue that it's taken some customers from MB C. Only setback is that it doesn't have estate version but then it would lose it's luxurious image.

I am looking at their announced sales for Europe, and it did not take anything from anyone really. I think they will be very happy with small growth in that market overall.

flexus

Admirer
Reactions
I am looking at their announced sales for Europe, and it did not take anything from anyone really. I think they will be very happy with small growth in that market overall.
Here is Jan-Sep

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Here is Jan-Sep

yes, you have to look at hybrid sales to see what new Camry is doing in Europe:
Camry Hybrid
5,870​

Rest of them are russian models produced at plant in Russia, might be older model still too. But they always sold well in Russia and have been assembled (kits) there for years.

flexus

Admirer
Reactions
yes, you have to look at hybrid sales to see what new Camry is doing in Europe:
Camry Hybrid
5,870​

Rest of them are russian models produced at plant in Russia, might be older model still too. But they always sold well in Russia and have been assembled (kits) there for years.
I know it's small number but compared to Avensis sedan sales it's quite good, keeping in mind that price is over 10000€ more. In Finland Camry is quite hit with 404 (Superb 998, Passat 877 both down -40% and 508 145 +300%)sold that's quite big quantity compared that Finland accounts 1% of TME sales.

Motor

Expert
Reactions
Hot Yaris is on the cards as Toyota aims to forge racing links
Toyota is highly likely to produce a performance version of the new Yaris, according to Toyota Europe’s executive vice-president Matt Harrison.

The decision is part of a greater desire within Toyota to connect the brand’s Gazoo Racing motorsport activities to its road car range to help customers better understand the link.

Harrison said: “This is the strategy of Gazoo Racing – not just the sports cars, like Supra, but to look at performance derivatives as well.”

Although he stopped short of officially confirming a hot Yaris GR, Harrison said: “We have some ideas about more aspiration opportunities for the car, but you’ll hear more in a couple of months.

“That’s more related to our desire to link Yaris to our success in motorsport.” “On selected vehicles we will look at a GR derivative, which is differentiated on these [performance] grounds – whether that’s displacement or whatever.”

Harrison refused to confirm whether or not a performance Yaris derivative would be a hybrid, adding: “Because of the strength of our hybrids in the sales mix [meeting fleet average CO2 regulations], it allows us the flexibility and scope to have lower volume performance derivatives like Supra.”