internalaudit

Expert
Reactions

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
For me this will be the best move from Tesla, getting all the others to offer more for less with their BEV’s.

That's the beauty of competition.

Toyota providing industry leading warranty while Tesla possible providing industry leading battery cost. If Mr. Musk goes any more haywire, maybe he will start selling his cars at cost. That's probably after Tesla pays down its debt or secures better financial footing going forward.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Because 2000 km/1200 miles on a single charge is a crazy amount of range. That's very competitive with gas cars, assuming the charge rate isn't terrible.

just like you dont have 2000km single tank of gas cars, you will not have 2000km batteries... they will use it to lower the size of the battery, make cars cheaper and still have 600km range.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Interesting. I think 600 km between charging is mighty plenty. Toyota also going lithium sulfur route, correct?

Li-S is one of the many solid state solutions under development. We don't know which route each company is going for. All SSB chemistries have their own pros and cons, so we should see a real world sample first before making any judgement based on manufacturer's claims.

This company claims 500Wh/kg which is the average energy density we expect for first-gen SSBs. 2000km is not really possible with that kind of energy density (unless they are doing the completely useless 60km/h constant speed test). 1000km would be more realistic.

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
Yeah, I have come across a lot of articles/news on Lithium Sulfur.

Some other news:

Last edited:

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
It seems the Koreans concede Toyota is ahead but they doubt Toyota has working prototypes. Wondering how Toyota will show case its Li-S SSB or for how long has it been testing them in the lab and on the field.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Interesting to hear Koreans say they are behind here. If you look at research papers most progress on SSBs indeed come from Japan and USA.
I think Toyota does have working prototype for sub-1C applications like electric skateboard and scooter. They even have some ready for the Olympics. But for EVs 1C remains a barrier so far.

asoksevil

Fan
Reactions
I am pretty certain that my next car will be an electric or cleaner alternative versions to gas/diesel. However, it seems only Tesla is pushing the boundaries of maximum range, with the news Tesla Roadster earmarked with a ranged of 1,000 KM, c. 600 miles. I am huge fan of Lexus but if they can't compete in electric cars then I am afraid I'll no longer be their customer. Tesla of course, has other issues that more reasoned manufactures have managed better (interior and exterior quality, reliability, etc) but they seem to be catching up on this while offering really great electric engines.

Hopefully Lexus Electrified can catch up because in the infotaintment alone, they are just really behind not just Tesla but MB, BMW and Audi.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
Long range (+1000 km) is important to me. Even ICEVs have low range because they have small tanks.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
Long range (+1000 km) is important to me. Even ICEVs have low range because they have small tanks.

Literally nobody on earth cares about making a vehicle for you.

I'm really sorry but that is insane. You're saying you actively drive in a way where it is over 1,000km before you can refuel?

Why dont you start complaining the AC doesnt go below zero in the car or over 60 degrees Celsius.

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
Good to know that Toyota may introduce these SSB's, maybe even in late 2022 for that single Lexus BEV. Some of these Tesla fan boys / cultist were bashing me that we won't see anything by 2025 but even VAG says it may be ready to commercialize its SSB by 2025.

I am quite fine with 400 winter kilometers between charging and even below 300 HP will do for me. I'm not a Speedy Gonzales anyway.

I just want this newer solid electrolyte / solid state battery + three motors for electric rear wheel torque vectoring to future-proof this big purchase. I hope I am being a realist.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
I am pretty certain that my next car will be an electric or cleaner alternative versions to gas/diesel. However, it seems only Tesla is pushing the boundaries of maximum range, with the news Tesla Roadster earmarked with a ranged of 1,000 KM, c. 600 miles. I am huge fan of Lexus but if they can't compete in electric cars then I am afraid I'll no longer be their customer. Tesla of course, has other issues that more reasoned manufactures have managed better (interior and exterior quality, reliability, etc) but they seem to be catching up on this while offering really great electric engines.

Hopefully Lexus Electrified can catch up because in the infotaintment alone, they are just really behind not just Tesla but MB, BMW and Audi.

Go buy a Tesla. Make sure you splurge on the full self driving.

Enjoy all the empty promises.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Good to know that Toyota may introduce these SSB's, maybe even in late 2022 for that single Lexus BEV. Some of these Tesla fan boys / cultist were bashing me that we won't see anything by 2025 but even VAG says it may be ready to commercialize its SSB by 2025.

I am quite fine with 400 winter kilometers between charging and even below 300 HP will do for me. I'm not a Speedy Gonzales anyway.

I just want this newer solid electrolyte / solid state battery + three motors for electric rear wheel torque vectoring to future-proof this big purchase. I hope I am being a realist.

I think latest on something production ready for SSB is 2025. So I would not count on it just yet.
Standard lithium chemistries get improved all the time too.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions

there wont be a +1000km EV vehicle... it makes no sense, solves no issue. When they develop such battery, they will still make it 600km-700km range so it weights and costs less.

Problem is fast charging and availability of it.