maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
2 series to be FF especially only for the useless small coupe it will be FR, GTI just not after all late new decisions from VAG guys , I really don't trust any of their published numbers and of course their own electronics

Last edited:

MichaelL

Follower
Reactions
2 series to be FF especially for the useless small coupe, GTI just not after all late new decisions from VAG guys , I really don't trust any of their published numbers and of course their own electronics
Ok.... Honda Civic SI or Mazda 3. 2 series is more versatile than you might think, trunk is good sized, back seats go down, and rear space is better than you would think for passengers. I am quite familiar with it as I own one. Stick of course.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
Honestly when I want to drive stick currently I still own my father Toyota Cressida 85 and I still adore it as I was in my childhood, honestly it makes me feel alive, that's why I always wanted Toyota to return back to its roots in this era there were a lot of amazing machines , the best booming Hilux, Celica, Supra, Crown, even the Corolla was sporty

Will1991

Reactions
If you want a stick, get a GT86, it's simply amazing :)

But I do want to do something similar to @maiaramdan , planning to keep my fathers 1999 Avensis as I still love driving it as a daily driver when, eventually, go fully electric as soon as possible.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
I have around 5 times trials before to make a company with stocks to buy either Nasr which was old Egyptian car manufacturer or Lada and with the cheap R&D costs comparing to other countries than Russia or Egypt to take a licence from Toyota for the 2JZ and for either 84 - 86 Cressida or Bertone Jaguar B99 Concept and put the 2JZ on in after re constructed it matched with Euro Emission

I tried that in 04' - 08' - 10' with the Egyptian Nasr and 05' - 06' with the Russian Lada

Now Nasr with Nissan and Lada with Renault

flexus

Admirer
Reactions
If you want a stick, get a GT86, it's simply amazing :)

But I do want to do something similar to @maiaramdan , planning to ke. ep my fathers 1999 Avensis as I still love driving it as a daily driver when, eventually, go fully electric as soon as possible.
Totally forgot GT86. I'd like 2010 2.2 diesel Avensis as it has quite a kick.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
19-07-28-lexus-rc-mazda.jpg

Peter Lyon at Forbes is adding fuel to the fire regarding a recent rumor that Lexus will utilize Mazda engines in future models:

And now we are hearing that Toyota and Lexus will employ Mazda’s radical new engine technology as well as Denso’s 48V electrical system into its rear-drive saloons.
Expected to appear in the next generation Mazda6 in 2022, and Toyota and Lexus models after that, the 3.0-liter straight-6 SkyActiv-X unit will feature similar technology to the Mazda3’s new “X” powerplant including a diesel-like common rail system, a mild hybrid system and a supercharger with the 48V electric package. Power is expected to clear 300 horsepower...

Continue reading...

GNS

Follower
Reactions
Mazda doesn't exactly have a stellar reputation for awesome engine technology *coughrotary* but maybe it's because of the bad old Ford days, back when they made the subpar MZR engine lineup. I've heard good things about the SkyActiv engines and their fuel economy, but they're hardly sports car material either.

Maybe new, premium, upscale Mazda has changed for real. Either way, if I want a Mazda, I'll buy a Mazda, not a Lexus.

thtupid

Fan
Reactions
I sure would like a mazda engine over a BMW one. The new skyactiv engines are really nice and a Japanese inline 6 would complement a Japanese carmaker better than a German engine IMHO.

Having said that though, I do prefer either Yamaha or Toyota/Lexus engines for Lexus. For Toyota yeah I don't really mind if they use engines from other car makers to keep costs down etc so they can add extra stuff. But not Lexus please.

thtupid

Fan
Reactions
Mazda doesn't exactly have a stellar reputation for awesome engine technology *coughrotary* but maybe it's because of the bad old Ford days, back when they made the subpar MZR engine lineup. I've heard good things about the SkyActiv engines and their fuel economy, but they're hardly sports car material either.

Maybe new, premium, upscale Mazda has changed for real. Either way, if I want a Mazda, I'll buy a Mazda, not a Lexus.
Is mazda trying to move up a class also in the states as it is in Australia? It seems that it is trying to move from higher end run of the mill class (ie the usual Toyota class) into the prestige but not luxury class (eg non European Volkswagens and low end volvo).

GNS

Follower
Reactions
Is mazda trying to move up a class also in the states as it is in Australia? It seems that it is trying to move from higher end run of the mill class (ie the usual Toyota class) into the prestige but not luxury class (eg non European Volkswagens and low end volvo).

That's exactly what Mazda is trying to do - double dip into the econobox and entry level luxury market. People don't want to pay the BMW tax for the X1 or look like they are snobs / one-upping their friends and neighbors, so they get a Mazda CX-5 instead - at least that's the theory behind their strategy.

Reactions
That's exactly what Mazda is trying to do - double dip into the econobox and entry level luxury market. People don't want to pay the BMW tax for the X1 or look like they are snobs / one-upping their friends and neighbors, so they get a Mazda CX-5 instead - at least that's the theory behind their strategy.

I would say that Mazda is doing a good job moving into the upscale market. I love the SkyactivG 2.5L engine used in the 6. Paired with their Skyactiv Transmission, and you have a winner. It's a much better powertrain than what Toyota offered at the time and it still is. I'm actually looking forward to the new Mazda 6 if it does switch over to an RWD platform. The Lexus/Mazda collaboration sounds pretty interesting. Looking forward to more news about it.

Madi

Fan
Reactions
I think this is not going to happen due to the following reasons :
1- For the platform Lexus - like the other Japanese manufacturers - is joining the modular platform ship, which aiming toward facilitating parts sharing, easier to make variants and cutting production costs. So in general we have TNGA for FWD based vehicles and GA-L for RWD based vehicles and every future RWD model from TOYOTA- LEXUS will use the GA-L platform - other wise it will be pointless to enter the modular platform world.
2- The TNGA engine range is still young, so it's too early to dump it out.

Last edited:

GNS

Follower
Reactions
Why does Toyota need an I6 when they just developed a completely new twin turbo V6?

This is literally my first thought when I hear of partnership rumors with BMW and/or Mazda. The V35A-FTS is a TNGA component, probably built nearby, makes a lot of power, and even has turbos built in-house by Lexus.

suxeL

Follower
Reactions
Why does Toyota need an I6 when they just developed a completely new twin turbo V6?

The only reason is that an inline 6 vs a V6. I6s tend to have a better sound note and of course inherently balanced when compared to a v6. Whether the sound note and balance is the number one priority to ignore their recently launch V6 is a whole another discussion.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
The I6 is not a replacement for the V6. These are two different class of engines (one in the 300hp class and the other in the 400hp class) and two different generations as well.

The Skyactiv-X I6 will be used in a very restricted set of vehicles, while the V35A-FTS will be their workhorse for the next decade. The major advantage of I6 for next-gen ICEs is that it allows simpler integration with exotic technologies like electric supercharger, variable compression, and even camless valvetrain compared to V6. But these technologies won't see widespread use until late 2020s, so a simple twin-turbo V6 is here to stay.

The industry as a whole will likely move away from V6 back to I6 as V6s completely disappear in transverse platforms late next decade, so the ONLY reason V6s exist today is no longer valid.

Many of this article's predictions are pretty in line with what I expected, even including the numbers. The only part I didn't expect is the 48V mild hybrid part. Toyota doesn't like mild hybrids because they don't work (little gain for high cost) especially when they intend to completely eliminate the cost gap between full hybrids and pure-gasoline vehicles by 2025.

Maybe it's just a Mazda thing as they have been very stubborn in adopting hybridization. They have had access to THS for five years and we still haven't seen a fully hybrid Mazda.

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
Maybe it's just a Mazda thing as they have been very stubborn in adopting hybridization. They have had access to THS for five years and we still haven't seen a fully hybrid Mazda.

Actually, a few of us have. When Mazda launched the 3rd-generation Mazda3 in mid-2013, a hybrid version of the sedan was available, but only in the Japanese Domestic Market. Accounts appeared in Motor1, Auto Express and Autocar, among others. And, yes, it did make ample use of Toyota Prius components, including the CVT.

mediumhot

Follower
Reactions
Actually, a few of us have. When Mazda launched the 3rd-generation Mazda3 in mid-2013, a hybrid version of the sedan was available, but only in the Japanese Domestic Market. Accounts appeared in Motor1, Auto Express and Autocar, among others. And, yes, it did make ample use of Toyota Prius components, including the CVT.

Cause most likely the deal was restricted to Japan and some other Asian pacific countries or something. But there is one more problem I could see there as well, anemic Prius III hybrid drivetrain was no fit for Mazda marketing at the time so they didn't invest in it like they did with Skyactive engine, exterior sheetmetal and interior technology with fit and finish to position themselves where they are right now. And with upcoming Mazda 6 they are targeting right at the heart of the premium market - midsize sedans