16th Generation Toyota Crown (Sedan, Cross, Sport, Estate/Signia)

What do you think it is?

• Lexus GS

Votes: 4 10.0%
  • Toyota Crown

Votes: 32 80.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 10.0%

• Total voters

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Production Crown spotted.

HulCA5nNYD1528079873397579152807987339.jpg

20180604103551695173071487432.jpg

20180604103548231344364635859.jpg

20180604103533064392903001277.jpg
sweet... it starts sales in 2 weeks.

NVlaar

Follower
Reactions
The production Crown will be the first 'Toyota' branded model to be built on GA-L platform. Available powertrain options are
(1).8GR-FXS 3.5L hybrid from LC and LS
(2).A25A-FXS 2.5L hybrid and
(3).8AR-FTS 2L turbo with 8speed auto.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
The production Crown will be the first 'Toyota' branded model to be built on GA-L platform. Available powertrain options are
(1).8GR-FXS 3.5L hybrid from LC and LS
(2).A25A-FXS 2.5L hybrid and
(3).8AR-FTS 2L turbo with 8speed auto.

do we know their outputs in Crown yet?

Spunky D

Founding Member
Reactions
Good. They are happy. Now lets hope Lexus use this Crown and bring the GS back!
Forget the GS.If it was brought to Oz I would buy it.Love the cup holders and it doesn't have that stupid track pad!!!
Don't like the tablet screen, never have.And I love the grill.Prefer it to the spindle.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Interesting to see they are using the low output version of the A25A for the longitudinal hybrid. I wonder if the battery pack is also the same as the transverse version. This could mean the two '300h' systems have the same output (well, they are just the same system with different orientation).

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Interesting to see they are using the low output version of the A25A for the longitudinal hybrid. I wonder if the battery pack is also the same as the transverse version. This could mean the two '300h' systems have the same output (well, they are just the same system with different orientation).

hopefully they can do more hp via battery pack, they can still do more.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
hopefully they can do more hp via battery pack, they can still do more.

It's amusing that they are still using the Li-ion pack exclusively on the Camry Hybrid LE, with the reason being 'cost concerns', on the cheapest hybrid trim.

And now they just invested in a NiMH battery plant in China. Looks like those outdated technology from last century isn't going away anytime soon. Toyota is all the way up there with the U.S. military for the philosophy of 'if it ain't broke don't fix it'.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
It's amusing that they are still using the Li-ion pack exclusively on the Camry Hybrid LE, with the reason being 'cost concerns', on the cheapest hybrid trim.

And now they just invested in a NiMH battery plant in China. Looks like those outdated technology from last century isn't going away anytime soon. Toyota is all the way up there with the U.S. military for the philosophy of 'if it ain't broke don't fix it'.

indeed, i think chief engineer mentioned that now they produce lions for less than nimh :)

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions

Something that intrigues me no end is whether Toyota will continue its present "triple Crown" strategy (SWB "sporty" Athlete, SWB "luxury" Royal and LWB Majesta) or just go to a single Crown for the 15th generation. An image at around the 4:35 point of the video above implies the latter strategy (though I don't know for sure since I don't understand the Japanese explanations alongside the images), while running a couple of foreign-language articles through Google Translate suggests that there will still be Athlete and Royal versions for Crown15.

I guess we'll know in a few days...

spwolf

Expert
Reactions

Something that intrigues me no end is whether Toyota will continue its present "triple Crown" strategy (SWB "sporty" Athlete, SWB "luxury" Royal and LWB Majesta) or just go to a single Crown for the 15th generation. An image at around the 4:35 point of the video above implies the latter strategy (though I don't know for sure since I don't understand the Japanese explanations alongside the images), while running a couple of foreign-language articles through Google suggests that there will still be Athlete and Royal versions for Crown15.

I guess we'll know in a few days...

Single crown only, unified vehicle similar to athlete since that sold the best.

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
Also worth noting is that Crown15 echoes the engine lineup strategy of the 3rd-gen Auris in Europe: A single turbocharged gasoline engine; a smaller, economy-oriented hybrid powertrain; and a larger, performance hybrid powertrain.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Also worth noting is that Crown15 echoes the engine lineup strategy of the 3rd-gen Auris in Europe: A single turbocharged gasoline engine; a smaller, economy-oriented hybrid powertrain; and a larger, performance hybrid powertrain.

i was very excited by the fact they added new performance hybrid, not old one... maybe the cost is not that crazy? Also it will be interesting to see performance stats in much lighter vehicle.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions

I think a recurring theme in the future will be base gas, base hybrid, power hybrid, and optional performance gas type of lineup.