16th Generation Toyota Crown (Sedan, Cross, Sport, Estate/Signia)

What do you think it is?

• Lexus GS

Votes: 4 10.0%
  • Toyota Crown

Votes: 32 80.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 10.0%

• Total voters

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
Current generation GS has the best ride quality in its class because it is also the smallest. If Lexus really wants to kill it, then bloating the IS will be the logical move.

The problem is, this IS-L will be even more expensive and become another victim of ES's success. It's just too hard to avoid collateral damage when the ES is too competitive at its price range.

Really, this looks like the solution moving forward. Shrink the ES, stretch the IS, introduce a new city car/CT in a couple years. CT/IS/ES/LS. Clear and concise, regardless of opinion on FWD vs. RWD.

(Looking at the pricing strategy of the LS, I wonder if we see similar pricing for the new ES & next-gen IS. I don't see it getting more expensive, that's for sure.)

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Is it for me or many of us? No. That said we are the minority here. The majority look at the badge first.
Problem is the Mark X IS a niche market vehicle that absolutely needs to be a RWD sports sedan to survive. That's what it is. Just like the 86 will not be a 86 if it had AWD. The sole fact that such a niche product even exists in 2017 is quite shocking to me. It used to be a viable option for people aiming at a certain tax bracket. But vehicle taxes in Japan are more streamlined (although still very complicated) today that it's not longer a valid reason to buy the Mark X.

I'm more towards Mark X converging with the next IS than believing this FWD BS. It makes sense, requires less engineering, and keeps the legacy. Why bother making a FWD vehicle from scratch (although not really) when you can just do some visual modifications to the IS? No matter how flexible TNGA is, engineering a new vehicle takes way more resources than simply modifying an existing design.

Really, this looks like the solution moving forward. Shrink the ES, stretch the IS, introduce a new city car/CT in a couple years. CT/IS/ES/LS. Clear and concise, regardless of opinion on FWD vs. RWD.

I didn't say they should shrink the ES. It's the exact opposite. ES needs to grow to compete with other full size executive sedans. The XV60 is too small by today's standards, and I certainly don't feel it's sufficient after having a ride in the E-class L.

Last edited:

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
I didn't say they should shrink the ES. It's the exact opposite. ES needs to grow to compete with other full size executive sedans. The XV60 is too small by today's standards, and I certainly don't feel it's sufficient after having a ride in the E-class L.

Sorry, didn't mean to insinuate you did! :D

I agree with you about the IS, but feel like the ES is too big in overall length to take over the mid-size sedan segment from the GS.

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
Wow, that will be turn down a lot of Mark X loyalists, might as well axe that vehicle. Mark X lives because of the enthusiasts and going FWD is suicidal.

Also from what you said the biggest TNGA-K vehicle will be the ES with no plans for new Avalon? (makes sense since the Highlander will just eat it for breakfast)

This info comes from Japan and I had first read about last year, but was too distracted about the new LS at the time to post on it. It may seem like BS, but not so far-fetched. Toyota is trying to massively cut costs on domestic products, which the new TNGA approach heavily assists with. Nissan nearly hit bankruptcy, because of JDM offerings costing them so much and providing little ROI. Toyota being much more affluent, just wants to increase profitability.

I never stated that about the Avalon, in fact the very utmost opposite.;) I have posted the development programme code, SOP date, internal design freeze period by quarter, and spy shots of that car, due for MY2019. The next Highlander begins production in November 2019.

The Mark X is a great car as it is though, especially a special edition I've seen.

supra93

Expert
Reactions
cITdh6s.jpg

eqd3Xzb.jpg

6pNygld.jpg

Last edited:

bogglo

Admirer
Reactions
Still, have not seen the full rear of the crown.

Last edited:

bogglo

Admirer
Reactions
I see some porsche panamera interior similarities with the gear selector design and the cup holder design

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
The design is a bit of let down. Easily mistaken with an E-Class if not for the Crown badge.

supra93

Expert
Reactions
New model moves to TNGA architecture.

Update: Check out live images of the new Toyota Crown concept from the Tokyo Motor Show floor.

The current, 14th (!) generation Toyota Crown was launched back in December 2012 and was slightly refreshed in 2015. The model is now almost five years old and is in a desperate need of a successor. During the 2017 Tokyo Motor Show, the Japanese manufacturer will present a near production prototype of the new Crown, which could be revealed sometime next year.

Definitely the most important thing about the new Crown is the switch to Toyota’s new TNGA platform, which should “offer customers the enjoyment of driving cars while pursuing a future mobility society.” That’s a pretty vague statement, but we expect the re-engineered model to be lighter, featuring better handling and improved driving stability, all tested at the German Nurburgring track. The automaker promises the driver will only have to “enjoy the driving experience.”

Preliminary details suggest the new Crown will be slightly longer than the model that’s still on sale - 193 inches (4,190 millimeters) versus 192 in (4,885 mm), with a bit longer wheelbase. This should result in more space for the passengers, as well as additional boot volume.

As far as the design is concerned, the Crown study, previewing the 15th generation of the sedan, comes with sharp styling, dominated by massive radiator grille at the front, flanked by sweptback headlights. The side profile is muscular with wide wheel arches and long rear overhang.

The production version of the concept seen here will be equipped with Data Communication Modules (DCM) as standard. The system will be gathering data for vehicles and traffic, and will process the information to solve “societal problems” by “reducing traffic jams in cities.”

More information about the study and, hopefully, about the production model will be released during the Tokyo Motor Show later this month, so stay tuned.

https://www.motor1.com/news/182393/toyota-crown-concept-tokyo-show/

Last edited:

supra93

Expert
Reactions
Did You Know? New Toyota Crown Has Oscillating Air Vents

They don't make them like they used to? Yes they do!

Among a multitude of concepts, Toyota currently has on display at the 2017 Tokyo Motor Show a couple of large premium sedans that sit on top of the range in the domestic market Japan. The retro-flavored Century is the crown jewel of the company’s JDM offerings and is being shown in its full road-going glory alongside this, the near-production Crown scheduled to be launched in final guise in the summer of 2018.

One of the oldest nameplates in the automotive business, the Crown has been around since 1955 and has now reached its fifteenth generation that has a rather interesting feature: oscillating central air vents. It should be mentioned this is far from being the first car in the world to boast such a function, but it’s nice to see the swinging AC vents are still alive and kicking in 2017.

Pretty much like your air conditioner at home, school or at work, the vents move from left to right to guide the air as seen on older models like the Lexus LS 430 and a couple of Mazdas, such as the 626 and 929. Going back in time, the MX-6 also had oscillating air vents.

Do you know any other cars that have this cool feature?

As interesting as these may be, the Toyota Crown’s air vents can’t hold a candle to the one inside this Pontiac Grand Am:

Getting back to the car at hand, the latest and greatest Crown rides on the Toyota New Global Architecture and that means it has one or two things in common with the latest Camry. To our surprise, Toyota says it has tested the stately sedan at the Nürburgring in Germany to fine-tune the chassis and make the Crown more fun to drive.

By switching to TNGA hardware, it basically means the next-generation model will be all-new and that should pay dividends in all areas. If the production model will retain the concept’s size, it’s going to be slightly bigger than the outgoing model and will boast a longer wheelbase for extra legroom.

While Toyota says the Crown shown in Tokyo these days is technically a concept, we are not expecting any major changes on the final car as this looks just about ready to hit the assembly line.

https://www.motor1.com/news/184815/toyota-crown-oscillating-air-vents/

2017-toyota-crown-concept.jpg

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
I was completely shocked when I had a ride in my boss's S130 Crown with oscillating air vents, digital dash, and Satnav (yes, they managed to put a miniature CRT TV in the car in the late 80s) for a first time. It was 1993, just two years after I graduated from college. Crazy to think how much impractical technology the Japanese crammed into their cars during the Golden Age; they were so rich they literally didn't care about the cost. That's when I became a fan of this brand. Water ran out of eyes when I saw them offering the oscillating vents again in the new Crown.

A perfect S130 Crown has always been one of my dream car projects that I'd like to do someday: a perfect S130 hardtop with a rebuilt 2JZ-GE engine, TEMS, all interior space-age electronics fully functional-including a hack of the CRT Satnav to make it display a modern infotainment system.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
In all it's Glory
Have much more presence than the LS
Hope it we see the shores of international markets as the GS is gone

Rob Grieveson

Follower
Reactions
The pic with the swirls on is old and was thought to be he new ES which has now been revealed.
Unfortunately the GS makes up such a tiny percentage of toyota group sales I think it quite likely it will be dropped.
The pricing of Lexus now is somewhat confusing for the new ES will probably be below the IS or a little above so there is a big gap between that and the GS. To my mind the current GS simply does not have the appeal of its predecessor which I think had more of a presence and sold well.
From another point of view the new ES looks so good all they need to do is offer a really top spec model with a bi turbo motor and you have your replacement even though it is fwd they also offer AWD so the GS?

Sakura

Fan
Reactions
The pic with the swirls on is old and was thought to be he new ES which has now been revealed.
Unfortunately the GS makes up such a tiny percentage of toyota group sales I think it quite likely it will be dropped.
The pricing of Lexus now is somewhat confusing for the new ES will probably be below the IS or a little above so there is a big gap between that and the GS. To my mind the current GS simply does not have the appeal of its predecessor which I think had more of a presence and sold well.
From another point of view the new ES looks so good all they need to do is offer a really top spec model with a bi turbo motor and you have your replacement even though it is fwd they also offer AWD so the GS?

The Lexus ES will start a tad under $40,000, which is above the Lexus IS.
^^ That's the rumor anyways... However - I believe its true. Based on business - Lexus knows their target demographic and would want the ES starting fairly cheap. They know if they price it similar to the old one, they'll be able to match and increase similar sales figures.