Will Genesis hurt Lexus?

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Is there any data on how Genesis is doing now? A few years on, new G80, new G70, GV80, etc and it seems we should be able to gauge success at this point. Surely they need more SUVs, but what are the early results?

mikeavelli

Reactions
The figures I was able to find ( https://carsalesbase.com/us-genesis/ ) showed that June was their best month ever in the US, selling a little over 4,000 cars. (vs. 26,000 for Lexus and 66,000 for Audi. Or 73,000 for Tesla).

Nice lineup but it really shows how gutsy Toyota was with Lexus in 1989 and launching an actual brand. What a night and day difference in execution.

I think in 2 years Lexus was one of the top selling luxury brands in the USA.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
Nice lineup but it really shows how gutsy Toyota was with Lexus in 1989 and launching an actual brand. What a night and day difference in execution.

still, different times. germans were not that much better. only later they were really good when new marketing branding tools were used by them in the automotive industry extensively (before it was not branding but publicity). now again especially with the environmental agenda others are catching up in terms of product, but the image still gives them an edge.

RAL

Reactions

J Davis Illingworth, the reputed father of Lexus, recounts the 1980's 3-year story of launching Lexus in his devotional memoir. It is a long read, but very interesting.
Among other things, the story of the choosing of the name for Flagship 1 and the lawsuit with LexisNexis was especially intriguing.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
a-beautiful-green-tree-frog-sitting-on-tiles-tapestries.jpg

Levi

Expert
Reactions
The GV60 is the ugliest thing I have ever seen. I now cannot unsee the same ugliness in Mach-e and Model Y. These egg shaped bubble cars are not even CUVs.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
Infiniti has nothing to worry about. Their fate has already been determined a few years ago by Carlos Ghosn. Nissan can't even get out their first post-Tesla electric car before Toyota (late to the party?), so don't dream of an electric FX.