Updated Lexus IS Debuts at Beijing Auto Show

Faisal Sheikh

Admirer
Reactions
On a bright note, I am glad they got rid of the "cleft" on both sides of the lower fascia. It did not look good at all and made the front bumper look too high. The lower front diffuser on the F-sport and the lower chin spoiler make it look more aggressive.

Hemi

Premium Member
Reactions
I'm also not so a fan. It's a little bit too much of different lines and shapes. No unity.
I did not like it too much to the fact that the lights are too busy, but this picture changed my mind a little bit :-D.

oem_is300

Founding Member
Reactions
From certain angles the headlights are reminding me of the 570S:
Large%20Image%2018_87.jpg

My first impressions are that its not as striking of a design as the previous, but I wasn't immediately drawn to that one either so I’ll let the design grow on me, as it likely will. I really like the aggressive front bumper on the F Sport and I think everyone agrees that the larger infotainment screen is a great upgrade. This is only a mid-cycle refresh so small improvements like that are nice to see.

We have members who are far more knowledgeable than I, but I would say probably at least 3 years. I am not certain about the first generation's run, model years 1998/99-2005? However, I believe the 2nd generation's run was model years 2006-2012.

The duration for 1st gen (also as a Toyota Altezza) is correct as MY06 was the first year of the 2nd generation IS. The last year model of 2nd gen was MY13. The 3rd gen IS was available sometime in 2013 as a MY14.

In the U.S. the 1IS was sold from MY2001-2005, although it was sold as the Altezza in other parts of te world from 1998-2005

Andyl

Founding Member
Reactions
From certain angles the headlights are reminding me of the 570S:
Large%20Image%2018_87.jpg

My first impressions are that its not as striking of a design as the previous, but I wasn't immediately drawn to that one either so I’ll let the design grow on me, as it likely will. I really like the aggressive front bumper on the F Sport and I think everyone agrees that the larger infotainment screen is a great upgrade. This is only a mid-cycle refresh so small improvements like that are nice to see.

In the U.S. the 1IS was sold from MY2001-2005, although it was sold as the Altezza in other parts of te world from 1998-2005

Thanks for the clarification. :)

MY2001 is the first year for 1st gen IS300 sold in North America and it debuted in early summer of 2000. IS200 was also sold since 1998 in Europe, Australia, etc. Basically that was a rebadged Altezza.

When IS300 was introduced to North America, Lexus has improved some minor details in the interior to make it more a Lexus than a Toyota. In fact, they continued to add some plastic coverings for the bottom of the seat in the 2nd year of North American 1st gen IS300. And they added HID to IS300 as well.

Best info is here: :p
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lexus_IS#1998.E2.80.932000

mikeavelli

Reactions
No wheel update it seems. Good :D

As for my impressions of the refreshed IS:

Exterior:
Base IS
- Front end is aggressive and a step up over the last. Rear valence is nicely sculpted with the subtle fins. With the new rectangular exhaust tips, the overall rear end reminds me of the LS. :thumbsup:

F Sport
- Headlights look too busy and the flat face into the bumper and fenders make them look more mainstream at a glance now. Night time, however looks stunning with some LC DNA poking through. :thumbsup: As for the rear lower valence, I prefer the base IS' fins over the rectangular mesh. Overall, front-end has gained in more bumper sculpting but has lost in headlight sculpting. Reminds me of the refresh the CT F Sport got (nice for the CT but not sure on the IS). I'll have to reserve judgment once I see it in person.

Overall exterior - The case to get the base model increased significantly. ;) Jury's still out for the F Sport.

2017-Lexus-IS-8FL.jpg

lexus-is-200-t-f-sport-2016-01.jpg

View attachment 1476

Interior:
+ F Sport trim appears to be the same aluminum trim found in the refreshed GS?
Improved console materials and look.
Huge infotainment screen! :waving::thumbsup:

- Cup holders still poorly placed. Was expecting a more forward/similar arrangement to the RC's. Lexus obviously wants to maintain some distinction between the two.
Convenient physical heated/ventilated and steering wheel buttons gone?

Overall interior - Welcome improvements give a more upscale look, but at the sacrifice of ergonomics. :no_mouth:

2017-Lexus-IS-12FL.jpg

View attachment 1475

Powertrain:
A little disappointed but not surprised they are carry over. :confused: Lexus is still very conservative in this area. Was hoping the recent trademarked NX 300 moniker was a sign of a new "3L V6" to be possibly introduced with the '17 "IS 300" but now my hopes are down also for the NX. Instead, it may likely remain the thirsty detuned 3.5L V6. We'll see.

OVERALL: The overall styling and interior enhancements might make for a case to trade in my '14 IS but the lack of any new (and efficient) powertrains is holding me back. For now will keep my current IS. Waiting to hear more on the next CT or UX.

Nice Summary!!!

Andyl

Founding Member
Reactions
That already looks much better in my opinion. Live photos give a much better impression of the car than the press release ones.
Indeed, the shots are much better. The new headlights look luxurious and sophisticated.

Additionally, when squarely looking at the front bumper, you can see the bottom is not a straight line. The treatment is more refined and interesting.

Just like the new RX and refreshed GS, the front bumper has more delicate elements (especially surrounding the grille) which may be a concern for stone chips from harsh winter and areas where there are construction trucks. The existing regular 3IS that I have already have some brutal ones on the black plastic below the grille. The new one may be worse. Clear bra those areas may also become difficult. However, the rest of the painted areas on the front bumper seems to be relatively easier for clear bra installation compared to the pre-facelifted 3IS.

Last edited:

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
Nice update in general. Makes it more visually consistent with the current GS and LS without really changing *that* much. I'm not so sure about the scoops on either side of the spindle on the F-Sport; I think the base model has the advantage there, although I think both of them already look better in the real photos vs. the press photos (Lexus' press photos are kind of awful lately, right?). The interior's definitely the star of the show, with that nice big screen and more luxurious-looking details.

Wicus Kriel

Premium Member
Reactions
We have members who are far more knowledgeable than I, but I would say probably at least 3 years. I am not certain about the first generation's run, model years 1998/99-2005? However, I believe the 2nd generation's run was model years 2006-2012.
According to the attachment from the following site, the new IS may be announced in 2018 as a 2019 model: http://www.autonews.com/section/fproductguide

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-04-22 at 13.10.22.png
    Screen Shot 2016-04-22 at 13.10.22.png
    73.5 KB · Views: 6
Reactions: RAL

Wicus Kriel

Premium Member
Reactions
The LS will be coming in two years, and 2019 is when a complete redesign is coming according to your reference.
That site is only indicative of course, but I've found it to be mostly accurate in the past. It was accurate for the IS refresh that we just witnessed on Monday :) I don't see an LS reference in 2019 in the screenshot. Is there one on the site now?

Wicus Kriel

Premium Member
Reactions
That site is only indicative of course, but I've found it to be mostly accurate in the past. It was accurate for the IS refresh that we just witnessed on Monday :) I don't see an LS reference in 2019 in the screenshot. Is there one on the site now?
It does look like their timeline only spans to 2019 though and that everything is crammed into that column ;p Anyway, the site makes for interesting forecasts. Perhaps worth comparing with other vehicle manufacturers to see how accurately it lines up...

James

Founding Member
Reactions
I'm confident we'll have a new LS next year.

If we don't, I'm jumping ship for Acura.

DON'T MAKE ME DO IT, LEXUS!
Understand the frustration...hopefully it is an empty threat...or they actually do release it...

Madi

Fan
Reactions
I'm confident we'll have a new LS next year.

If we don't, I'm jumping ship for Acura.

DON'T MAKE ME DO IT, LEXUS!

Some sources reported that, the ALL-NEW LS will be launched in May 2017 ....

It will be 2018 or 2019 model year ...