Toyota Yaris Master Thread (Sedan & Hatch Discontinued for USA)

Motor

Expert
Reactions

• Toyota’s trend-setting Yaris hits global sales milestone in 25th year of production
  • Yaris joins Corolla, Camry, RAV4, Hilux and Land Cruiser in excess of 10 million global sales
  • Four generations of Yaris set new safety and technology standards for B-segment cars
  • The 10 millionth car, a Yaris GR SPORT, was produced at Toyota’s plant in France, home to Yaris production in Europe since 2001 and with an impressive environmental track record

carguy420

Admirer
Reactions
Once again Europe getting all the newer hybrid powertrains

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Once again Europe getting all the newer hybrid powertrains

it is due to price... this Yaris will probably be easy >$30k now.

carguy420

Admirer
Reactions

First real minor change for the GR Yaris, 300 hp, the option of an 8 speed AT plus apparently some upgrades to the chassis, suspension and brakes.

qtb007

Follower
Reactions

First real minor change for the GR Yaris, 300 hp, the option of an 8 speed AT plus apparently some upgrades to the chassis, suspension and brakes.
Good to see the Yaris get the bump. I hope they are developing some sort of hybrid max style drivetrain for the GR Corolla. G16 + ~50hp electric motor + 150hp e-axle. I think we could see a net 400hp pretty easily with the right battery. My GR Corolla is one of the best cars I've ever driven; it is truly a masterpiece. But, the writing is on the wall that HV and PHEV are going to need to be involved in the next generation somehow.

JustADude

Follower
Reactions
Only downside to hybrids as of now is weight. To make the GRC/GRY hybrid it'll take away the lightweight aspect. Hopefully as tech gets better we see battery tech become more lightweight.

qtb007

Follower
Reactions
Only downside to hybrids as of now is weight. To make the GRC/GRY hybrid it'll take away the lightweight aspect. Hopefully as tech gets better we see battery tech become more lightweight.
The weight increase from the T24 + mechanical AWD to the T24 + 1MG + 6AT + eAxle + battery is around 350lbs in like-for-like trims of the Grand Highlander. The parallel hybrids tend to gain less weight because they replace the multigear hydraulic transaxle with a 2 motor transaxle, drop the transfer case, and replace the prop shaft and rear drive with a low output rear motor. The bump from a Rav4 hybrid over a Rav4 is only 160lbs.

I would expect that a performance hybrid as small as the Corolla would almost necessitate a light weight, LiIon battery versus the heavier, larger, lower cost NiMH that they use elsewhere. For a performance hybrid, I think you would want the drivetrain style from the hybrid Max. If the weight goes up to 3475lbs but power jumps to 400hp, I don't think many would complain about the weight gain.

qtb007

Follower
Reactions
Unless it is like the 4 cylinder C63 AMG, where it weighs +2000 kg, more than TTV8 and is still not faster and not more fuel efficient.
The C63 picked up 700lbs by adding AWD, 2 speed gearbox, electric motor, and a 6kWh battery. There's no reason to think the Yaris or Corolla would gain that much with a much smaller battery (~1.5kWh, I expect).

The C63 being able to go 8 miles on electric only probably makes it significantly more fuel efficient depending if you can charge at work. It is rated in the mid 30s (which I don't know if that includes the PHEV element) versus the old model that was in the mid-low 20s.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
The simplest way to do it is P2 and keep the GR-Four AWD system. Add RX500h's 64kW 1ZM motor and a scaled down 230.4V 250A bipolar NiMH battery (the NiMH actually has higher power density than their best Li-ion). That's about 57kW of extra power and 1.15kWh capacity for 100-150kg of extra weight. The only problem would then be where to find the space to package all the hybrid components.