Toyota Yaris Master Thread (Sedan & Hatch Discontinued for USA)

Levi

Expert
Reactions
And remember it is a manual. Just crazy. Make that I3 an I6, put it in a light new Toyota GT3 road car, with AWD, and you have a 1000 HP AWD new Supra, GT-R and 911 Turbo killer and other supercar killer. Promising potential for eventual Lexus "LFA" II in terms of Toyota ability.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
And remember it is a manual. Just crazy. Make that I3 an I6, put it in a light new Toyota GT3 road car, with AWD, and you have a 1000 HP AWD new Supra, GT-R and 911 Turbo killer and other supercar killer. Promising potential for eventual Lexus "LFA" II in terms of Toyota ability.

I would definitely like to see GR breathe on some other engines in the lineup... maybe the 2.5L I4, 2.4L T I4 and 3.4L TT V6.

carguy420

Admirer
Reactions
I would definitely like to see GR breathe on some other engines in the lineup... maybe the 2.5L I4, 2.4L T I4 and 3.4L TT V6.
I don't want to be the party pooper, but knowing how specific Toyota can get, they probably wouldn't use their regular DF engines as their base for high performance engines, their their bore to stroke ratio just isn't meant for high performance and high rpm applications, some other mainstream car manufacturers would just throw whatever engine they have into engine bay of their performance cars as long as it reaches their performance requirements on paper, but that usually ends up with a car that might perform quite well but also has an engine that's feels very plain, doesn't have sharp throttle response, probably has a pretty low redline and just doesn't give you that feeling to encourage you to push harder and drive faster, that's pretty much how the engines in most modern affordable performance cars are like.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
I don't want to be the party pooper, but knowing how specific Toyota can get, they probably wouldn't use their regular DF engines as their base for high performance engines, their their bore to stroke ratio just isn't meant for high performance and high rpm applications, some other mainstream car manufacturers would just throw whatever engine they have into engine bay of their performance cars as long as it reaches their performance requirements on paper, but that usually ends up with a car that might perform quite well but also has an engine that's feels very plain, doesn't have sharp throttle response, probably has a pretty low redline and just doesn't give you that feeling to encourage you to push harder and drive faster, that's pretty much how the engines in most modern affordable performance cars are like.
UR wasn't meant as a performance engine. 2UR-GSE, based on 2UR-FSE (Lexus LS 600h) turned out to be a very good performance engine. 2GR could also have a good GSE version derived for the previously planned hybrid Supra. V35A was used in racing as is in Dakar. I think new Toyota engines are different and have modularity designed in them, as all current car makers now.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Back when they launched TNGA in 2016 their plan was having modular engines with same displacement per cylinder similar to BMW. They have completely abandoned that idea. The only two DF engines sharing same cylinder dimensions are M15 and M20. BMW is actually the only manufacturer left pursuing the modular engine approach. Everyone else moved back to engine dimensions optimized for their respective application.
UR wasn't meant as a performance engine. 2UR-GSE, based on 2UR-FSE (Lexus LS 600h) turned out to be a very good performance engine. 2GR could also have a good GSE version derived for the previously planned hybrid Supra. V35A was used in racing as is in Dakar. I think new Toyota engines are different and have modularity designed in them, as all current car makers now.
2UR-GSE still has a relatively short stroke (89.5mm) and is slightly oversquare so revving to 8000rpm is not a big problem for it. In the LS650 TMG the 2UR-GSE twin-turbo could rev to 9000rpm.

The Dakar V35A is almost stock. Most of the changes is the intake system for dust filtering. Its stock output is already above what's allowed by the 37mm restrictor. It's tuned like a diesel engine so it's perfect for the application.

G16E-GTS is another example of a specially optimized engine. It has very strong mid-range torque which is what's needed for rally cars. Its top end torque is actually very weak since rally cars have low top speeds. You see this in drag races where the GR Yaris has very fast 1/4 mi time but low trap speed.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
So strangely I agree with the above 2 opposite concepts

My guess is if we will see any new GR above the Corolla, it will be a 4 and it will be more towards desert than track , even Supra and 86 have more off-roading vibes than track based models

The F will be more track the GR more off-roading

Reactions
I am talking depending on the inhome models aka Yaris and Corolla

Oh, you're trying to say that because they're both (mainly the Yaris) are based on a rally car.

However what ssun30 is trying to say is that your logic is confusing (and flawed).

Instead, try thinking of them as road going models with different strengths and attributes. For example, GR Yaris and GR Corolla are AWD hot hatches that have a ton of rally credibility (especially the Yaris as it's a literal race car), but the GR86 and GR Supra are genuine sports cars where they are seriously capable anywhere. All of these cars are very potent on a race track.

All of these cars are GR products at the end of the day, but it doesn't make them "off-roaders" (I know you meant rally cars and not overlanding products like the 4Runner and the Land Cruiser) per se.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
Oh, you're trying to say that because they're both (mainly the Yaris) are based on a rally car.

However what ssun30 is trying to say is that your logic is confusing (and flawed).

Instead, try thinking of them as road going models with different strengths and attributes. For example, GR Yaris and GR Corolla are AWD hot hatches that have a ton of rally credibility (especially the Yaris as it's a literal race car), but the GR86 and GR Supra are genuine sports cars where they are seriously capable anywhere. All of these cars are very potent on a race track.

All of these cars are GR products at the end of the day, but it doesn't make them "off-roaders" (I know you meant rally cars and not overlanding products like the 4Runner and the Land Cruiser) per se.
Thanks for this

Yeah I meant a rally not overlanding

larryren

Follower
Reactions
Greeting LE's Friends. Here have some news for GR Yaris from Japanese media.....

Original post link here:https://car.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/1395167.html

The title mean "Toyota develops new sports-type 8-speed AT for GR Yaris Debuts with Vice Chairman Hayakawa as a development driver"

"At Akitakata, the first round of the TOYOTA GAZOO Racing Rally Challenge (hereinafter referred to as "Rally Chare") held on March 13, a development vehicle for the "GR Yaris" was brought in. This car No. 109 is different from the appearance, and the front mask is designed from scratch with a larger opening. An oil cooler and an AT oil cooler are arranged at the left and right openings. You might think it's an AT oil cooler, but yes, this GR Yaris is equipped with a newly designed AT. "
QQ图片20220315014155.png

the new AT gearbox purpose is to be fun and fast.

And media also take some closer shot for front grill modification, Two oil-cooled radiators replace the original fog lights. 030_o.jpg
(The right side from the front is for gearbox oil cooling)

032_o.jpg
(The left side from the front one is for oil cooling)

The last paragraph of the article, Vice Chairman Hayakawa said it still developing the gearbox and car, and the goal was to be able to drive fast in the "D" position. So they's team need more work to refine, setting the gear ratio and shift map etc.

IMO, if AT Version GR Yaris finally introduce to mass-production, it is a good chance for more people to experience this amazing little 4WD monster, It maybe no longer qualifies as hardcore. But with a better balance of everyday and track fun, I'm sure someone will choose the AT version as well.

Reactions
Greeting LE's Friends. Here have some news for GR Yaris from Japanese media.....

The title mean "Toyota develops new sports-type 8-speed AT for GR Yaris Debuts with Vice Chairman Hayakawa as a development driver"

"At Akitakata, the first round of the TOYOTA GAZOO Racing Rally Challenge (hereinafter referred to as "Rally Chare") held on March 13, a development vehicle for the "GR Yaris" was brought in. This car No. 109 is different from the appearance, and the front mask is designed from scratch with a larger opening. An oil cooler and an AT oil cooler are arranged at the left and right openings. You might think it's an AT oil cooler, but yes, this GR Yaris is equipped with a newly designed AT. "
View attachment 5629

And media also take some closer shot for front grill modification, Two oil-cooled radiators replace the original fog lights. View attachment 5630

View attachment 5631

The last paragraph of the article, Vice Chairman Hayakawa said it still developing the gearbox and car, and the goal was to be able to drive fast in the "D" position. So they's team need more work to refine, setting the gear ratio and shift map etc.

IMO, if AT Version GR Yaris finally introduce to mass-production, it is a good chance for more people to experience this amazing little 4WD monster, It maybe no longer qualifies as hardcore. But with a better balance of everyday and track fun, I'm sure someone will choose the AT version as well.

Well damn. Go get em Toyota! Hope we see this better 8-speed in more Toyota and Lexus products!

Last edited:

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Only problem I see is whenever AT is offered on a performance car, MT take rate drops to the point it's no longer financially viable, so the MT model gets cancelled.

carguy420

Admirer
Reactions

View attachment 5629

And media also take some closer shot for front grill modification, Two oil-cooled radiators replace the original fog lights. View attachment 5630

View attachment 5631

So this is the automatic transmission that gets mentioned in the rumours about the GR Corolla, I wonder if it's based on the high torque direct shift 8 speed auto currently paired with the T24A-FTS.