Toyota BZ4X

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
I saw one yesterday on the street, I thought it was a vehicle with unfinished bodywork because of the unpainted fenders. The styling will not make up for the mediocre range and performance. bz4x, what a name :rolleyes:, beyond zero I guess.

Gor134

Admirer
Reactions
I have only seen one on the street in Los Angeles so far, as opposed to the EV6 and Ioniq5 which are EVERYWHERE it seems. That said, those have been on sale for awhile, so I wonder if the BZ4X will be as popular too.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
I have only seen one on the street in Los Angeles so far, as opposed to the EV6 and Ioniq5 which are EVERYWHERE it seems. That said, those have been on sale for awhile, so I wonder if the BZ4X will be as popular too.
Ioniq5 is the ugliest EV made.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Pricing is ok, they started little bit of deliveries to dealers.

It is not as efficient as they hope in real life, and 20% bigger battery would do wonders long term.
Rest of the stuff in Europe they can fix, life adding charging stations to nav, etc

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
I guess you haven't been following Tesla too closely lately? They've raised prices something like 4 times in the last year, including just days ago https://jalopnik.com/tesla-raises-prices-significantly-across-model-lineup-1849069984
While my logic says who would pay that much for a NX sized crossover, I forget I have to embrace the Tesla mindset before commenting.

EV materials costs, supply shortages indicate that these prices are not the end of their increases. Its crazy though, that delivery timelines are 6 months out.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
While my logic says who would pay that much for a NX sized crossover, I forget I have to embrace the Tesla mindset before commenting.

EV materials costs, supply shortages indicate that these prices are not the end of their increases. Its crazy though, that delivery timelines are 6 months out.
The EV price explosion is just beginning. It will make the current car price inflation look like child's play.

Component manufacturers buy materials using futures contract so they weren't exposed to the commodity boom earlier. After those contracts expire we are going to see some wild prices.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
The EV price explosion is just beginning. It will make the current car price inflation look like child's play.

Component manufacturers buy materials using futures contract so they weren't exposed to the commodity boom earlier. After those contracts expire we are going to see some wild prices.
Western Europe will soon be a third world country.

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
The Tundra has a rear hub recall now as well, that toyota believes is unrelated to this BZ recall.

The fix on the tundra, is retorque, while the BZ is TBD/Drop off at the dealer and pick up a loaner.

Interesting times.

LarryT

Follower
Reactions
Ruh roh!

Toyota now offering to buy back recalled bZ4X EVs

Other remedies are available, but unsatisfied owners can give up the vehicle and walk away

The Toyota bZ4X is brand new and just hitting the streets, but there’s already a big problem for the EV. In June, Toyota advised owners to park their new electric crossover, stating that sharp turns or abrupt acceleration could cause the vehicle’s hub bolts to loosen, making it more likely that a wheel would fall off. Now, the automaker is sending letters to owners with the next steps, and the situation appears to have reached the point that Toyota’s ready to start buying back bZ4Xs from unsatisfied buyers.

Electrek reported that Toyota sent letters to buyers, advising them to continue avoiding driving their vehicles. The automaker also offered several remedies to affected owners, including reimbursements if the car was paid in full, continued access to a loaner vehicle and storage of the bZ4X, free charging, and extensions of factory warranties.

If none of those offers are satisfactory, Toyota is offering to buy back affected bZ4Xs. The terms and conditions of the buyback offer depend on the state and the particulars of each sale. That the automaker is moving to make the buyback offer is significant because the bZ4X is such a new and high-profile vehicle. It’s Toyota’s first dedicated EV, so the wheels falling off is even more of a disaster than it would be for a more anonymous model.

https://www.autoblog.com/2022/08/05/toyota-bz4x-electric-car-recall-buyback/

LS500-18

Follower
Reactions
Wow what an embarassment. TMC's first real EV attempt in North America and it went so badly, they might not live down this reputation. Anyone who is a BEV fan shits all over Toyota for being late to the party (which they're not), now this.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
And over something as simple as hub bolts... not even related to the "EV" part of the car. Simple mistakes that should never have happened but one of the consequences when you shorten development cycle by 30%.