The Official "I'm Struggling with Lexus" Thread

Jonas

Fan
Reactions
I have done and experienced RC F, GS F and LC 500 as well as the SUVs NX and Rx 450h f-sport.

Is there - Gecko or other - in your opinion something in there for me?

Hope for a more performance oriented SUV or something else with more performance.

Is it worth waiting 2 - 3 years?

Jonas

Fan
Reactions
Oh, I thought Lexus Enthusiast was the closest there is to a crystal ball for information on Lexus plans and future 🙂

Jonas

Fan
Reactions
RC F and LC 500 was fine cars, but a bit heavy on their feet.

Found myself looking at Toyota (BMW) Supra.

Now, I am starting to consider bying an Alpine A110S...

Jonas

Fan
Reactions
Find myself drifting away from Lexus after almost 20 years... even Renault (Alpine) is an option...

James

Founding Member
Reactions
You know I was thinking about this is the other day and didn't want to sound like a broken record but looking at future cars I have a list of 15 non Lexus cars to look at for my next car and that is with the limited view point of needing a bigger SUV than RX/NX competition. I think it's just crazy how well the competition has grown in the SUV market where Lexus has been somewhat stagnant. That to me might be more disappointing then lack of GS or F models is the age of this SUV market. The once bread and butter across the entire SUV lineup is just missing right now.

BTW BMW has what an X4,X6, and a future X8 and we can't get one LF1 concept to come out???

Jonas

Fan
Reactions
Agree, looked for a SUV with some power. Ended up with RX f-sport. Fine car but not enough. Also want something sporty to have fun with.

Tested a Cayenne e-hybrid, looked at Jaguar SVR and Lamborghini SUVs etc. Should have taken one or the other. Will do the next time. Then you get a bit of both. Or I go for something economical and eco friendly and spice it up with a sports car like the Alpine. Lexus hybrids is not that good anymore. Hell drove my LC 500 in sport + all the time, my RX in sport + consumes the same fuel or almost the same... puhh...

Like you I do not see a Lexus next year or the year after when I plan to make my decision.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
2020 waiting for real news. Now 2021 and still waiting for something newsworthy...

This year, we will have new NX, new LXs, ES refresh and IS 500. So... I personally think the tides are starting to turn in our favor. Next year will be RX and TX.

It takes time, but I think there is positive momentum.

Reactions: RAL

James

Founding Member
Reactions
This year, we will have new NX, new LXs, ES refresh and IS 500. So... I personally think the tides are starting to turn in our favor. Next year will be RX and TX.

@Gecko I forgot did you mention is LF1 dead now?

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
@Gecko I forgot did you mention is LF1 dead now?

I think it must be. Point made here: https://lexusenthusiast.com/forums/threads/lexus-lf-1-limitless-concept-megathread.4075/page-30

But also, some rumors indicating that GA-L is seen internally as a failure... and outwardly, it is in some ways. So if they are not doing further development on that platform, LF-1 was probably a casualty. @ssun30's post here: https://lexusenthusiast.com/forums/threads/2021-lexus-is-megathread.5963/page-49#post-60529

Jonas

Fan
Reactions

NX, LX, ES and IS in not for me.
Maybe the RX if it includes inovation, new technology and more horsepowers than the current one.
So, forgive me of I am not so hopeful.
2022, thatˋs another year of waiting and still not sure of what to expect from Lexus.

Sulu

Admirer
Reactions
I think it must be. Point made here: https://lexusenthusiast.com/forums/threads/lexus-lf-1-limitless-concept-megathread.4075/page-30

But also, some rumors indicating that GA-L is seen internally as a failure... and outwardly, it is in some ways. So if they are not doing further development on that platform, LF-1 was probably a casualty. @ssun30's post here: https://lexusenthusiast.com/forums/threads/2021-lexus-is-megathread.5963/page-49#post-60529

Reading @ssun30's post again, I noticed this:
Apparently, the 3.5IS was meant to be a interim product before another FR platform is developed. ...

I don't know who carsensor.net "interviewed", but apparently within TMC there is this opinion that GA-L was a failure. It's too heavy because it was designed to handle the power of the V8 twin-turbo engine in development. It makes it very hard to scale down to cheaper and lighter products like IS/RC/GS. So the decision was to develop a new FR platform for future IS/RC/FR SUV products.
If the GA-L and related GA-N platforms are considered a failure, it makes sense that the 2021 IS is but another refresh. That gives Toyota another 3 years to develop a replacement for the GS and IS (and perhaps RC) on another, more efficient FR platform. In addition to the approximately 2 years it took to develop the 3.5IS, this gives Toyota a full 5 years to build a new FR platform and new vehicles on that new platform.

If this is true, there is hope still for new FR vehicles to come.

Last edited:

Jonas

Fan
Reactions
So, Lexus will continue refreshing ”old” sedans in this age of SUVs. But, no new SUVs in the near future to match the latest from other car makers. And no performance or F models. 😢

It seems Lexus has got their planning process completely wrong with both the failure with their platforms and no sense for the market etc. Time to let some senior management to get the foot for not managing their jobs...

Last edited:

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
ES was brand new for 2019 on an entirely new platform. It is not “old.” Same for LS in 2018.

TX and RZ will be all new models, and redesigns of existing models will be on all new platforms with all new engines and tech: hybrids, plugins, Direct4, larger screens, turbos, DTV AWD, etc.

Aside from LF-1 in production, what can you ask for?

Lexus has a lot coming in the next 3 years, both in terms of new models and redesigns of current models, and loaded with new tech, features and options.

If you just want to be mad, that is fine and this is the right thread to do it, but for the first time in a long time, it seems like there is good news and positive momentum at Lexus... it’s hard to deny.

Jonas

Fan
Reactions
Said this before, will say it again, but let my say it like this.

In my case I want a car with some power and more than the current Lexus hybrid. Pure electric will not do it for me. I am not a Tesla geek living my life in a city, just drivning to work. As I travel a lot (normaly) and not have the time or infrastructure, it also has to be independent of charging. So for me, I think a chargeable hybrid petrol car would be the best option.

Further, the taxes introduced on pure petroleum cars or even hybrids in my country is starting to impact my decision on what to chose next. The politicians in Greta country is crazy zelots, changing the incentives in real time. The current lineup with Lexus hybrids will be punished with extremly higher taxes, specially for corporate cars.

The next one has to be at least chargable, with MPG that is good on paper at least. Still I want the performance (more than 300+ horsepowers).

Time for Lexus to give me some real options. Nice talk will not be enough. Time is running up. Hell, for example Porsche and Range Rover have lover taxes. Due to new political decisions by spring this year 2021 the incentives to buy or even continue to own a Lexus in the current lineup will be even less appealing - even considring to get out of the current leasing contracts for our corporate cars.

Last edited:
Reactions
ES was brand new for 2019 on an entirely new platform. It is not “old.” Same for LS in 2018.

TX and RZ will be all new models, and redesigns of existing models will be on all new platforms with all new engines and tech: hybrids, plugins, Direct4, larger screens, turbos, DTV AWD, etc.

Lexus has a lot coming in the next 3 years, both in terms of new models and redesigns of current models, and loaded with new tech, features and options.

If you just want to be mad, that is fine and this is the right thread to do it, but for the first time in a long time, it seems like there is good news and positive momentum at Lexus... it’s hard to deny.
I think the world is waiting on the NX and RX to finally getting their total makeovers now, especially now moving to the TNGA platform since these will be the two most important models to the brand going forward; the ES and LS are only complimentary pieces now.

Last edited:

Jonas

Fan
Reactions

3 years is to long and will not do. At least for me. New NX no. New RX maybe. LF-1 good. Lexus has to speed up.

GoHuskers

Fan
Reactions
@Jonas , you keep saying New NX = NO but have you seen the actual New NX? Have you seen it's potential plug in power train? We assume it will grow in size so it might be similar to the current RX.