sl0519

Follower
Reactions
I posted the new episode of the RZ documentary, looks like they remove the video

It's been posted before there's even another one video on JP channel...not sure why they try to hide it because apart from different angles of interior and couple motor specs...there's not much left to discover

Levi

Expert
Reactions
I thought it could be Alcantara, myself.

The Japanese consider wool to be more luxurious than leather, in part because it is quieter than leather (when you sit down into a leather seat). I myself would prefer a fabric (wool?) -covered seat but unfortunately, Westerners equate leather with luxury.
When I see how fast driver's leather seat degrade, and how leather stearing wheel get gloss polished with hands fat/sweat, I find nothing luxurious about it. Somehow, leather clothes (shoes, coat, belt, bags,....) don't degrade as fast, at least not so noticeably.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
They’re going for lightness. Likely Alcantara/NuLuxe.

They’re also going for, understandably, a low cD.

That said, it seems like they’re adding more edge to the backend to possible make up for simpler, less exciting, more aerodynamic forms in the front.

From some angles, interior is quite NX like. I guess I expected more of a step up but seeing it in person will probably do it more justice.

To be honest, given the rear end of the car we have seen so far, the front end is a bit pedestrian.

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
lots of information to be revealed.

Powertrain setup and options
Pack size and charging rates
ADAS systems
Interior materials

Exterior design for all of Lexus models was revealed in Dec21

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
Of course, but some BEV advocates have double standards and distorted understanding. According to them, BEVs are more reliable because they have fewer parts, except if for Maserati and Alfa BEVs, because you know unreliability cliché based on ICEV get transferred to BEVs. They also are unable to make the difference between an appointment for maintenance and for a repair. They also seem to forget that the most ICEVs are not for repair because of mechanical issues, but electrical/electronic issues. They also forget that maintenance for an ICEV is oil changes and timing belt for those that they have to. All other maintenance is the same for BEVs (tires, brake pads/disks/fluid, air-con/filter, brushes, bulbs/leds,...).
Bad actors exist in both sides of the table to "nudge" popular opinion towards the "superior" propulsion system.
For instance, its disingenuous to leave out mfg service intervals and required services related to these items in EV vs ICEV comparisons. Its almost the same FUD Toyota saw when they launched the Prius.

sl0519

Follower
Reactions
And it all makes sense.
If ppl still recall watching the Direct4 video a year ago,
BEV crossover = RZ prototype.
Motor output: 150 kw / 300 Nm (mind you, 150 kw is around 201 hp)
Combined output: 300 kw / 600 Nm

mikeavelli

Reactions
Honestly I am not expecting any sort of Tesla beater with mileage or acceleration. I do expect Lexus luxury and a good drive and tech. And I assume Direct 4

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Most EVs have one pedal driving, not just Tesla.
And then most EV drivers prefer driving in that mode. In tesla you can also pick different modes.

Nissan was big on it on Leaf, long time ago, and i think I read that their new hybrids in Japan are also coming with one pedal driving now.

And @Sulu this is exactly my point, you and bz4x chief engineer are not EV drivers, so you don't understand why have one pedal mode, or frunk, or percentage display, or fast charging, or no start button, etc.

These things will be corrected in next few years, i am very sure.

Also, apperantly Soltera has adjustable regen mode via steering wheel paddles.

Nights

Fan
Reactions
The BZ4x from reviews has regen braking mode that slows you to crawling pace but you need to tap the brakes to come to a complete stop. That’s honestly easier for most non enthusiast drivers to come to grips with.

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
Most EVs have one pedal driving, not just Tesla.
And then most EV drivers prefer driving in that mode. In tesla you can also pick different modes.

Nissan was big on it on Leaf, long time ago, and i think I read that their new hybrids in Japan are also coming with one pedal driving now.

And @Sulu this is exactly my point, you and bz4x chief engineer are not EV drivers, so you don't understand why have one pedal mode, or frunk, or percentage display, or fast charging, or no start button, etc.

These things will be corrected in next few years, i am very sure.

Also, apperantly Soltera has adjustable regen mode via steering wheel paddles.
the new ariya is removing epedal/1pedal driving

Levi

Expert
Reactions
The BZ4x from reviews has regen braking mode that slows you to crawling pace but you need to tap the brakes to come to a complete stop. That’s honestly easier for most non enthusiast drivers to come to grips with.
Stop-and-go traffic/creeping/crawling is so much easier with pressing brake pedal and releasing (on automatic) than than slightly pressing accelerator and then brake pedal back and forth (on manual, nothing to do with clutch pedal).

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Stop-and-go traffic/creeping/crawling is so much easier with pressing brake pedal and releasing (on automatic) than than slightly pressing accelerator and then brake pedal back and forth (on manual, nothing to do with clutch pedal).

it is really not. You get used to one pedal driving and ask why is your AT creeping all the time? Of course, it is because of the technology, and EV makes one pedal driving easy.

So yes, in your stop and go, where you mostly stop, it is easier if you do not have to press anything while you are stopping.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
The car industry is changing.

Players are focusing less blindly on volume and market share, more on margins, capital efficiencies and fewer models in the lineup.

Car makers are going to begin catering to audiences more specifically.

I think going forward, now that people are heavily indebted and cheap cash is starting to dry up, you will see private vehicle ownership as a luxury even more so than now.

The cheap options will still be there, but they’re going to be basic. Everything else vying for attention, I feel is going upmarket.

New Cars are going to be less affordable going forward, especially alongside everything else getting pricier too.
505CFC56-CEEE-4A95-A1F5-BE11F00D7858.jpeg

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
Also, for many households, they will still have non-BEVs with no one pedal driving. It makes sense for consistency especially if family members use different cars based on distance and cargo requirements.

So to me, it's also a non-show stopper not to have one pedal driving.

There are many other priorities for me like making sure the Li-ion batteries do last at least 12-15 years in BEVs. That should allay any fears of resale values tanking steeply right after the eight year warranty ends for those who plan on selling (probably good time to buy them Toyota BEVs from these sellers) and/or peace of mind for those who are in the habit of keeping cars for as long as they're reasonably inexpensive to maintain.

With a Toyota BEV, it's probably worthwhile paying for the replacement battery knowing other components could easily last 20-25 years.