mikeavelli

Reactions

Nissan and now Honda have moved to offering 84 month loans. I remember hearing 144 month loans for exotics in Miami.

It’s honestly sad. And another reason it scares young people from cars or they are forced to buy older new ones.

We have Civics and Corollas at 30k plus. That was the price of a loaded Acura or an ES in the 1990s. Incomes have not kept up with inflation (waaaaay before this past year of it) making an entry level car damn near a luxury for someone.

Maybe VW saw this coming. Pierch tried desperately to move them upmarket in the 2000s to be a luxury Audi. It failed but maybe they saw the low end market they were known for was not going to be a great place to be.

Relating it to the RZ, the Leaf or Bolt were cheap but sell nothing like a Tesla The Model 3 and Y seem to be the sweet spot. We are talking 40-65k cars selling in high quantities.

On the other end the Lucid seems ridiculous being 180k loaded or whatever. Like why?

I think with people trusting the Lexus brand the RZ will hit its targets. I’m sure Lexus did their HW. Won’t be high volume but a nice first entry for them. The thought of an even more quiet Lexus with even less vibrations resonates with my chill side.

Sulu

Expert
Reactions
I wonder if those rear spoiler wings are there for aero, style, and/or adas?
I seem to remember reading somewhere that there is aero functionality, reducing the need for a rear wiper, but now I can't find the article.

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
If Thomas thinks the UX300e is one of the best handling Lexus vehicles he's test driven (I think he even mentioned the LC as a reference), I bet the RZ will be significantly better especially if it's going to be a RWD or AWD version.

It just goes to show Toyota/Lexus can build good handling BEVs without requiring jarring suspension like on many Teslas.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
If Thomas thinks the UX300e is one of the best handling Lexus vehicles he's test driven (I think he even mentioned the LC as a reference), I bet the RZ will be significantly better especially if it's going to be a RWD or AWD version.

It just goes to show Toyota/Lexus can build good handling BEVs without requiring jarring suspension like on many Teslas.

RZ might be comfy vs sporty, who knows. Like BZ4X leans on comfort side of things.

Which I think is good if it is not a pocket rocket anyway. LIke you say, Teslas are already on sport suspension side of things, it would be good to have comfy options.

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
RZ might be comfy vs sporty, who knows. Like BZ4X leans on comfort side of things.

Which I think is good if it is not a pocket rocket anyway. LIke you say, Teslas are already on sport suspension side of things, it would be good to have comfy options.
I don't know if Koji Sato, President, Lexus International, Chief Branding Officer was referring to the RZ when he talked about exhilarating handling and/or performance, maybe he was referring to the Lexus Sports Car BEV.

We will deliver a unique electrified Lexus that combines linear motor acceleration/deceleration, brake feeling and exhilarating handling to further pursue the joy of driving.

In particular, we believe that the battery EV will become the future symbol of Lexus as a model that most clearly expresses the evolution of the automobile brought about by electrification.

The latest of these models is the Lexus RZ.

The process of strengthening the fundamentals and pursuing the Lexus Driving Signature will not change even if it is a battery EV.

sl0519

Follower
Reactions
Haha, someone got impatient

https://www.completecar.ie/car-news/article/11600/Lexus-RZ-450e-revealed

original link? (google cache): https://webcache.googleusercontent....lectric-car-debuts/+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

308 hp, front biased, 250 miles range. Not so impressive on paper.
It’s weird the tires at the rear are wider than the front and it’s still front biased?
Also in one of Alex on Autos’s recent video he explicitly said the upcoming Lexus’s crossover will sport two of the same (201hp) motors from bZ4X’s FWD version, which got me thinking it will be a combined of 400 hp……
Ugh……

Last edited:

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
They should just call it 'NZ' to show its competitors as the EQC/Q4 e-tron/iX3. At least against those outdated ICEV conversion models it's moderately competitive. Lexus just needs to pray its competitors don't come up with anything new for the next 5 years. What a genius strategy!

If BZ4X's execution is between average and okay, the RZ shows that Lexus think they are in a vacuum. It's not competitive against other EVs, nor will they succeed at convincing any Lexus buyer to not go for the NX450h+ instead. Or maybe that is their plan all along.

If this is what they deliver after all the hype with LF-30, LF-Z and the Dec 14 event, I cannot be excited for any of their EV lineup before 2025.

sl0519

Follower
Reactions
They should just call it 'NZ' to show its competitors as the EQC/Q4 e-tron/iX3. At least against those outdated ICEV conversion models it's moderately competitive. Lexus just needs to pray its competitors don't come up with anything new for the next 5 years. What a genius strategy!

If BZ4X's execution is between average and okay, the RZ shows that Lexus think they are in a vacuum. It's not competitive against other EVs, nor will they succeed at convincing any Lexus buyer to not go for the NX450h+ instead. Or maybe that is their plan all along.

If this is what they deliver after all the hype with LF-30, LF-Z and the Dec 14 event, I cannot be excited for any of their EV lineup before 2025.

"The current U.S. manufacturer-estimated range is up to 225 miles with 18-inch tires."

Is this it? for all the hypes lol......

mikeavelli

Reactions

I didn’t expect a range killer so this is expected. Full of tech like Direct 4, e-axle, steer by wire, dimming roof and what looks like some sort of magnetic shocks or am i wrong?

This might be a hell of a driving car. Note there is a standard steering wheel as well.

I really like the design thus far. 3398FCDF-E0E3-4458-8C81-A8D153F83C90.jpegD05E70EC-D380-4E53-9410-40216A456497.jpegE77B7058-DC69-4CC1-BCBF-219BD2A37620.jpegEC804E7C-7BE4-479D-A92C-2BA4A09AC4B3.jpeg13BD7108-8421-44C3-BEBF-043F0AAF8231.jpegA7E73F29-6DD3-4EA5-8A20-C3509F6437FF.png

Attachments

• 10B46669-0E68-4252-9027-7E53C84E05D5.png
    10B46669-0E68-4252-9027-7E53C84E05D5.png
    7 MB · Views: 8

larryren

Follower
Reactions
Except the interior/exterior different......It seem AWD totall power output powerful than BZ4X, I guess it seem using BZ's FWD front axle motor with normal rear axle motor?(1XM+1YM) 🤔

sl0519

Follower
Reactions
Except the interior/exterior different......It seem AWD totall power output powerful than BZ4X, I guess it seem using BZ's FWD front axle motor with normal rear axle motor?(1XM+1YM) 🤔

motor setup (150kw + 80kw) suggested front biased awd
direct4 drive force (vary between 100/0 - 0/100 and 75/25 - 20/80 in corners) and staggered front and rear tires suggested rear biased awd

I'm very confused.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
It is hard to be impressed with the specs but I think it will sell to people specifically looking for a Lexus BEV... and considering their success with hybrids, I think there will be enough of them to make the business case. Probably also appealing for people who are sick of Tesla quality.

Lexus is late to the party, so, it is what it is. Lexus EVs must be on and up from here.

I do really like the interior - it's clean and simple, but elegant. I wonder if there will be an F Sport model, and how that will be differentiated?

Last edited:

Will1991

Reactions
Was expecting a bit more range for it, it should be on par with the EQC that was launched 3 years ago on a non-dedicated platform....

Mercedes just launched the new EQE SUV and BMW has the new iX for the same segment both with more 100 miles of range (EPA) and considerably more powerful.

Don't know what's the price expectation for it, it should be priced accordingly if Lexus wants to sell...

bogglo

Admirer
Reactions
I could be wrong but I Feel like the state of the supply market might be handicapping what they truly would have loved to achieve with both the BZ4X and RZ450. Also I won't be surprised if the range suggested is underrated. I agree the power is underwhelming. However, I don't think the people they made this car for would complain about the power considering how an electric car delivers it's power.

My final take on both the RZ and BZ is that this are not the electric vehicles intended to compete with Tesla, Mercedes, BMW, Porsche. These two car IMO were released to prevent the likes of Ford, Kia and Hyundai (Toyota released BZ4X to compete) or Genesis and Audi to gain too much ground on them. if you go and look at the paper specs of all these electric vehicles they are not leaps ahead of what Lexus is claiming for the RZ with the exception of their performance variant.

The two question that needs to be asked now is:
will the base model be priced accordingly?
Can we expect an F-sport performance variant (Especially if they are using a staggered setup on the wheels)?