ssun30

Expert
Reaction score
The new 2021 Sienna is superb. Makes me wonder what a Lexus version could be.
I think it's quite possible the next LM become Sienna based. 80-90% of the sales will be for China, and the size of the Sienna is not a problem at all since the larger GL8 could navigate most tight spaces. What dealers want has always been a GL8-size van not an Alphard rebadge. In fact the Alphard is too tall to fit in some underground parking lots making it less maneuverable than the Sienna.

The Alphard LM only allows for a spacious 4-seat config, or a tight 7-seat config. What is requested is a spacious 6-seat config so business people don't have to bring another car to squeeze their aide into.

spwolf

Expert
Reaction score
I think it's quite possible the next LM become Sienna based. 80-90% of the sales will be for China, and the size of the Sienna is not a problem at all since the larger GL8 could navigate most tight spaces. What dealers want has always been a GL8-size van not an Alphard rebadge. In fact the Alphard is too tall to fit in some underground parking lots making it less maneuverable than the Sienna.

The Alphard LM only allows for a spacious 4-seat config, or a tight 7-seat config. What is requested is a spacious 6-seat config so business people don't have to bring another car to squeeze their aide into.
I doubt it though, usually built for US TMC models are cheaper since they need to be sold for lower price. IE Alphard is already pretty expensive vehicle, Sienna is not. I think average Alphard price is around $50k, and it goes up to $75k, while Sienna is going to be sold at $10k less on average.

Plus, this is only important vehicle for Asian markets, they will want narrower LM so they can sell it in Japan as well.

spwolf

Expert
Reaction score
I wonder if they will actually try selling Sienna in some world markets where Alphard is a bit too expensive.
It would then make sense it is hybrid only since they can sell hybrid anywhere.

However, interior is still a little bit too plasticky for lets say European tastes.

For instance top grade looks good here:

but back seat does not

I might be picky, but so will be other Europeans.

Joaquin Ruhi

Expert
Staff member
Reaction score

I'm predicting a variant of this scenario: Next-generation Alphard/Vellfire (due in 2021 or maybe 2022) will essentially be a narrower and perhaps shorter version of the new Sienna, much as the relationship between Mazda CX-8 (sold in Japan, China and Oceania) and CX-9 (North America) large crossovers, or between the last failed North America Nissan Quest minivan and its narrower Elgrand JDM counterpart. Whether 2nd-gen Lexus LM is "narrow" or "wide" is an open question.

I'm also going to venture a guess that the Alphard/Vellfire duality for the next generation will happen only in China (to feed both GAC and FAW). By that time, Toyota in Japan should start consolidating its 4 separate dealer network thus eliminating the need for (probably) Vellfire there.

spwolf

Expert
Reaction score
I'm predicting a variant of this scenario: Next-generation Alphard/Vellfire (due in 2021 or maybe 2022) will essentially be a narrower and perhaps shorter version of the new Sienna, much as the relationship between Mazda CX-8 (sold in Japan, China and Oceania) and CX-9 (North America) large crossovers, or between the last failed North America Nissan Quest minivan and its narrower Elgrand JDM counterpart. Whether 2nd-gen Lexus LM is "narrow" or "wide" is an open question.

I'm also going to venture a guess that the Alphard/Vellfire duality for the next generation will happen only in China (to feed both GAC and FAW). By that time, Toyota in Japan should start consolidating its 4 separate dealer network thus eliminating the need for (probably) Vellfire there.
Consolidation of network is already done.

I am sure Alphard and Sienna will share TNGA platform with 50 other Toyota vehicles, but Alphard will certainly not be narrow Sienna.

Lexus LM will always be based on Japanese Alphard (hopefully next version less so), since their targeted markets are Asian, just like Alphard.

Basically we are talking about Tacoma vs Hilux thing here, and Tacoma will always be Tacoma, since NA has unique requirements (cheaper, bigger) than rest of the world.

ssun30

Expert
Reaction score
Also don't forget Alphard necessarily needs to be very tall to function as an accessibility vehicle.
The reason I believe LM doesn't need to be Alphard-based is that JDM doesn't really need it. LM is mostly a single market product, and for that specific market a Sienna-size MPV has always been requested.

spwolf

Expert
Reaction score
Also don't forget Alphard necessarily needs to be very tall to function as an accessibility vehicle.
The reason I believe LM doesn't need to be Alphard-based is that JDM doesn't really need it. LM is mostly a single market product, and for that specific market a Sienna-size MPV has always been requested.
I am pretty sure LM will do great in JDM as well, and everywhere where Alphard does well.
They just want to make it more distinct with next generation.

shizhi

Follower
Reaction score
The next generation LM is definitely based on Alaphard.
The birth of LM is obviously due to the achievements of Alaphard in the Chinese market. Without Alaphard's foundation, the Chinese would not consider LM as a flagship model. Although Sienna has not been officially introduced into China by Toyota, there have always been imported from the United States, so the Chinese obviously know the difference between Sienna and Alaphard. They will not recognize that the Lexus flagship car is based on a Toyota prototype car that has no symbolic meaning, while Alaphard is totally different.If Toyota want to build a Lexus MPV based on Sienna, it should be called "EM" or "RM".
This is an image made by Chinese media, a Lexus MPV based on Sienna.
238E1A3F-4BFF-4485-B083-22B0C6482D39.jpeg

Last edited:

ssun30

Expert
Reaction score
I didn't consider the fact that the Sienna will only be built locally in USA and China. All ChDM Lexus will be strictly made in Japan only so no Sienna LM.

Reaction score
It would sell very well in the US, in my opinion. So many Sienna's on the road. This would be a game changer and also challenge the Sprinter market!

suxeL

Follower
Reaction score
While the design really pops, I heavily doubt a large enough market exists for an uber luxury Sienna in the Lexus lineup.