The Gazoo Racing Super Sport WEC hypercar thread

Reactions
I am quite hyped for this car, and knew it would have made to production. They were extremely adamant on it, and now with the 2020 regulations, it makes perfect sense. I am waiting with open arms for this to come to fruition.

To the person who uttered that the power unit that is propelling the car won't be compelling enough for customers, I present you the Project One. Sold out from the get-go. What's even more interesting is that the Toyota will be significantly rarer than the Project One. Also, this power unit is vastly different than the one that is in the Formula One regulations. The only similarities are V6, Turbo, Hybrid, KERS and that's it. These engines go on their own tangents in terms of technology and development, so that comparison of yours is a moot point.

As a racing fan, it is important for me that Toyota presses on in such projects and to break barriers with their racing technology. I am really waiting for the day that the Toyota gives the Project One a good run for its money. Because those two are the only hypercars coming out that derive their technology from their own respective racing series (the Aston Martin Valkyrie counts too, but that is much more aerodynamics based than it is technology, because you know, Adrian Newey).

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
May be the best hyper car for now, but can we really have a chance to see it down to road?
The press releases on the Toyota Gazoo Racing and Toyota Global Newsroom sites contain this passage:

...at some point in the near future, customers will have a chance to get behind the wheel of this incredible machine and experience its astonishing power and driving performance

Which mega-moneyed customers and on what roads (or racetracks) is, of course, an open question...

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
Honestly the happiest part that it will be Toyota

Enough killing Toyota engineering efforts for Lexus brand

Now every brand have a unique management and everyone shall do his homework

ydooby

Follower
Reactions
Toyota is already seen testing the prototype with Akio Toyoda at the helm. The road-going version will have nearly 1000hp, while the race car will have 750hp.

According to the homologation rule for the WEC hypercar class:

At least 25 road cars equipped with the engine and 25 cars equipped with the hybrid system must be produced in the year coinciding with second year of the season in which they are raced. So for the 2020/2021 season, the powertrains need to be available in showroom models by the end of 2021. Those figures rise to 100 units after the end of the second season. Modifications to the engine are free, apart from the block and cylinder head, but the rules state that no modifications are allowed to the hybrid system.

Excited to see what the production car will be like!:D

Also hopefully this is going to be the first-ever "pure" Toyota-engineered sports car. (Hate that whenever a Toyota/Lexus sports car is brought up a troll would say it's partly done by Yamaha/Subaru/BMW/Mazda, etc., and that without their help Toyota isn't capable of doing it. )

jnuwoks2wv65cmnbxsru.gif

Last edited:

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
No way
I am against this way of thinking
Lexus & Toyota must be two different brands in the same corp
If Lexus made a powerful car and want to enter the WEC under the new modification with a totally new designed car it will be fine, otherwise it will be like Lexus ripping Toyota as brands

Reactions
No way
I am against this way of thinking
Lexus & Toyota must be two different brands in the same corp
If Lexus made a powerful car and want to enter the WEC under the new modification with a totally new designed car it will be fine, otherwise it will be like Lexus ripping Toyota as brands

Same. Lexus shouldn't have a hypercar that was actually supposed to be a product from all of Toyota's successful work with the TS050 Hybrid in the World Endurance Championship. Lexus had the LFA that was from their own seperate development and it was rightfully theirs. And Lexus won't take this away from Toyota (duh). They should stick to fixing their god damn lineup and stop having weak FWD cars and follow Mercedes' playbook. What the hell is with all these stupid reports from BestCar reporting that future Lexus vehicles having Mazda or BMW inline-six engines? BULLSH*T, BULLSH*T, BULLSH*T. For the love of christ why in the hell would they all of a sudden use inline-six engines if they have developed TTV6's and TTV8's? Sometimes I don't understand the logic from this forum and why they're justifying that it's such a good idea. Don't entertain dumb, unsubstantiated reporting websites with this idea. Dump it. Scratch it. Say no. Nada. I know Krew has to report anything that comes out regarding Lexus because that's what he does, but I expected everyone to say no in the comments section in response to the reports from BestCar. Seeing some people even giving a "shrug" worries me even more.

I'm rarely on this site anymore (you guys may see me more often on another forum 😉) because there's literally nothing to report about except the LC Convertible that's most likely going to come in Goodwood. And that's not Krew's fault or this site, but Lexus' stupidity for staying quiet on the development, keeping everything a secret (idfk why they do this).

These idiots don't even try to throw a bone to their customers with anything and just refresh 65 million year old dinosaur platforms by adding more textures, sharper headlights, and adding literally nothing substantial so they can get 3 years of more sales that probably won't do much for them anyway. They spend so much on so little (and these guys are famous for being frugal with costs), instead of actually focusing their priorities for better hybrids, better transmissions (and hybrid transmissions), more performance engines, more performance models, more RWD platforms, separate themselves from Toyota even more, make more luxurious looking vehicles inside and out introducing EV's, and ffs INNOVATE.

Rant over.

Anyways back to the GR Super Sport. This is super exciting for Toyota. They were actually going to build this regardless of the new hypercar regulations that now requires you to homologate a certain amount of cars (20 per year or per 2 years I don't remember). Go killem Toyota. See guys? Innovation.

Last edited:

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
@F1 Silver Arrows, you just said all what I kept saying

Only regarding Mazda Sky Active 6, I really see it a step in the right direction if it will be manufactured under Toyota restrictions and only for Toyota brand not for Lexus, Toyota has all the rights to build FR sedans and coupes, and we may see some Toyota engineering tech in the next rumoured Sky Active 6, it's like if Toyota want Mazda to be it's Audi to VAG, just let Lexus take the role of Porsche and give it it's own privacy

Reactions
Heck no. This is a Toyota effort. Not a Lexus effort like the LFA was. It was a Toyota badged car that won Le Mans in 2018 and 2019 after many years of striving and also being dominant and competitive in the World Endurance Championship. Lexus doesn't even do anything that massive other than IMSA/Blancpain/other series GT racing and Super GT right now. It would be insulting to Toyota to badge this as a Lexus. Want Lexus to actually do sh*t? Participate in a series like F1. Lexus shouldn't be getting their asses handed to them like Honda did to Acura. Hell, Acura is making a statement with the Type S Concept.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
If Toyota is ever going to take the idea of Lexus as a higher-end brand seriously than cars like this must be badged as Lexus. Period. One of the few things Honda/Acura does right is that the NSX is always an Acura in territories where the brand exists.

flexus

Admirer
Reactions
I was thinking
If Toyota is ever going to take the idea of Lexus as a higher-end brand seriously than cars like this must be badged as Lexus. Period. One of the few things Honda/Acura does right is that the NSX is always an Acura in territories where the brand exists.
Yeah but Honda NSX sounds more badass than Acura NSX. To me it's like if someone said Volvo NSX or Mazda NSX, Acura does not have the brand value of Lexus. Lexus LFA is a legend and it can be done again. LFA1000h would be sick.