Status
Not open for further replies.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
My point is, Toyota don't always make the soundest decisions with product planning and sometimes have to catch themselves, before making final commitments during development stages and even later after launch.

Absolutely, but being part owners of Subaru means nothing to these decisions... even with Daihatsu, they started operating as integrated company only when they folded it into Toyota greater last or year before that.

Cars like Yaris and Corolla have always had awd system in Japan, but product planners likely decided that it is not wanted outside Japan.

Just like for new TNGA platforms, they have now decides that it will be useful to have AWD sedans, I would guess to compete better with SUVs and make them more competitive vs other vehicles.

I wonder if this is something Akio spearheaded, considering how low AWD sales of vehicles like C-HR are in Europe for instance. More about brand image and good press than actually making money on it... I like it.

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
2021 is a perfect (for me) release date! My 2010 IS350 will likely need replacing by then or I can hand it down to my son who will be turning 16 then! C'Mon Lexus, don't let me down!

No, I strongly disagree (industry basis). 2021 is not a good release date nor is it the actual date, unless you live in a territory that gets staggered launches after JDM and USA. (Buying an XE40 6-9 months in, is not a bad idea, as it will not be Job #1 anymore.)

For a platform on its last legs, merely a heavy redo of a longtime aging platform that might even date back to 1991, Toyota needs to get this the hell out ASAP and is already pushing it, by allowing the facelifted IS to run 4 years without further aesthetic and major mechanical improvements. Should've been rushed for NYIAS reveal, then Q4 2019 launch as MY 2020 or Q1 2020 like LS in 2018. This car won't even be seen until Chicago 2020 or later, since no NAIAS in January.

The N platform just might even date back to 1991 via S140 cars, with New N being introduced in 2011-12 on the L10, 2013 for IS, and likely hindering the ability to introduce a TTV6 pre-2020 because of limitations.

A 2021 release means, the 2GR V6 only changed a smidgen (just once!) over a 16-year period for IS 350. That right there is pitiful and reeks of grossly resting on their laurels. The GS is suffering, as the actual customer for it can already perceive the lack of improvement in certain areas and made the choice to buy something else, until Lexus makes the necessary enhancements.

Some form of cognitive dissonance has allowed product planners to be blind to that and just cancel the GS redesign. The IS 350 suffers from that, where the existing and targeted customer base for such a vehicle, are not being motivated by the lack of changes to buy or lease another.

On a side note: It does annoy me when people try to make it seem as if, just because other Lexus customers and overall segment buyers, "don't care about numbers", doesn't mean this applies to buyers of the range-topping 350s, 3.0t RSes, M340is, and 450 AMGs. An IS 300 I4 RWD buyer is not a IS 350 buyer, who given consideration to spend more money for more performance and prestige in some cases.

These kind of buyers pay more attention to numbers and will not buy, unlike the IS300 RWD buyer, who just wants a good deal on a flashy car or strictly is being prudent.

A car with the once highly competitive engine in 2005, will NOT stand tall in 2018, just because of a suffix and Atkinson cycle changes, small increase in hp.

I am strongly highlighting this, to point out I disagree fervently that the IS will not come with a new twin-turbo V6 to replace the IS 350 or supplant it as a non-F variant range topper.

In advance, the LS offering this engine doesn't mean other Lexus vehicles cannot use it. Once upon a time, the IS had a petrol 5.0 litre V8 and flagship LS600hL similar to it. Not to mention even GS 460 and LS 460 for a brief spell.

Also, ES is irrelevant to whether or not the IS will benefit from such an engine. The ES does not compete with the 3-Series, C-Class, XE, and Q50. So, therefore the ES 350 suffices with 2GR-FKS. Honestly, a detuned AWD ES 400 would be a little better. In fact, back in late 2015 and early 2016, there were turbo ES mules running around New York and elsewhere.

When your competitors are offering TT 6-cylinders, don't bring a bat to a gunfight and show up with a NA V6 in use essentially for 2 previous generations into a 3rd one! I really cannot stomach nor entertain justifications, as to why they should keep the current 3.5L unchanged upon redesign.

I like and respect the Lexus brand, but I will never be an apologist for bad product planning.

Last edited:

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
2021 is a perfect (for me) release date! My 2010 IS350 will likely need replacing by then or I can hand it down to my son who will be turning 16 then! C'Mon Lexus, don't let me down!

No, I strongly disagree. 2021 is not a good release date nor is it the actual date, unless you live in a territory that gets staggered launches after JDM and USA. (Buying an XE40 6-9 months in, is not a bad idea, as it will not be Job #1 anymore.

Based on that Australian Performance Drive article and information previously posted here by Carmaker1, the 4th-gen Lexus IS (program code 400A) goes into production on July 2020 for a 2021 model year launch in the 4th quarter of the 2020 calendar year in major markets such as Japan, North America and Europe.

MichaelL

Follower
Reactions
Based on that Australian Performance Drive article and information previously posted here by Carmaker1, the 4th-gen Lexus IS (program code 400A) goes into production on July 2020 for a 2021 model year launch in the 4th quarter of the 2020 calendar year in major markets such as Japan, North America and Europe.
Thanks for the info. That is very late IMHO, good luck selling the current car until then. The current IS is uncompetitive with the market, and is far behind the A4 and C Class, and wait until the class leader 3 Series is released in a couple months... they will really not sell. Every car publication puts the IS behind their competition now, even Consumer Reports which usually loves the brand based on reliability. They had the IS300 AWD as the worst car in its segment. It is more than just the engines it is the whole car. Sorry to sound harsh but it is true. Research it and tell me you would buy the current IS over the competition.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
When your competitors are offering TT 6-cylinders, don't bring a bat to a gunfight and show up with a NA V6 in use essentially for 2 previous generations into a 3rd one! I really cannot stomach nor entertain justifications, as to why they should keep the current 3.5L unchanged upon redesign.

I like and respect the Lexus brand, but I will never be an apologist for bad product planning.

Thank you, dear sir, for this. You know, there is this almost religious defense for the 2GR on this forum that every time I suggest the next IS will not carry the 2GR I get defense like 'Americans like big naturally aspirated V6s' or 'Americans don't like turbos' when the best seller in the segment has a turbocharged inline-6.

I asked the same question again and again: how many new buyers or returning buyers would consider 'yet another IS350 carrying a 16-year-old engine'? What new capabilities would yet another naturally aspirated 3.5 V6 (which is not even guaranteed to surpass the 2GR's power in the first place) bring to the company?

People will NOT buy a 'big naturally aspirated V6' when it's no longer competitive. And it's even more ridiculous to suggest TMC should work on another 'big naturally aspirated V6' when there is already a capable engine aka the V35A-FTS at their disposal.

Last edited:

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Thank you, dear sir, for this. You know, there is this almost religious defense for the 2GR on this forum that every time I suggest the next IS will not carry the 2GR I get defense like 'Americans like big naturally aspirated V6s' or 'Americans don't like turbos' when the best seller in the segment has a turbocharged inline-6.

I asked the same question again and again: how many new buyers or returning buyers would consider 'yet another IS350 carrying a 16-year-old engine'? What new capabilities would yet another naturally aspirated 3.5 V6 (which is not even guaranteed to surpass the 2GR's power in the first place) bring to the company?

People will NOT buy a 'big naturally aspirated V6' when it's no longer competitive. And it's even more ridiculous to suggest TMC should work on another 'big naturally aspirated V6' when there is already a capable engine aka the V35A-FTS at their disposal.

i think you guys are confusing some things :)

There will be no 3.5TT engine as base for IS/ES/RX or if GS continues to exists.

Question is for base, if 2GR better than 2.0t? Yes, it is. Especially for US market... As we can see in Camry application, it is top of the class engine with latest upgrades.

Now for upgrade engine, now that they have it, you bet they will put it everywhere, and without decreasing the output either... this is why new LC300 is rumored to be with same 3.5tt doing same 4xxhp.

As to the competition, their best selling engine in the segment is 2.0t, even in the US.

LexiF

Fan
Reactions
Hello all I’ve just joined and is my first post in which I hope will be good news!

After breaking balls at lexus dealerships I’ve come into contact with an insider who has enlightened me to some very interesting news which we will see in the near future! For the next generation IS we will be seeing the LC’s hybrid system to take on the diesel competition as well as the established IS300h plus for those seeking a petrol variant there will be either a 200t or 300t (2.5TT V6) and a new IS400. A 400bhp+ 3.5TT V6 and is not an ISF as this is still in planing which “apparently” will return but am waiting for confirmation as to what engine will used. I have more information but will find the threads designated to what I know so far.

P.S the new IS generation will be coming the end of 2019 - beginning of 2020.

TheNerdyPotato

Follower
Reactions

As one of the Americans here, I have to clarify something. We don't necessarily prefer V6 or I6, so long as they're smooth and sound good. Yes, large NA motors are generally preferred over smaller turbo ones, but there's room in the market for both. Generally, it's the 4 cylinders that get the most flak over here.

I once read someone post something like "We Americans love V8s, hate 4 cylinders, and tolerate V6s as a compromise." This is mostly true, especially in the higher-end of the market. In the lower caste of automobiles, there's not much choice besides I4s.

Anyways, I'm a proponent of a naturally aspirated V35A, if only because it's the most practical option between both longitudinal and transverse mounting. In fantasy land, I'd love to see them build an inline 6 series for longitudinal platforms.

GNS

Follower
Reactions
Hello all I’ve just joined and is my first post in which I hope will be good news!

After breaking balls at lexus dealerships I’ve come into contact with an insider who has enlightened me to some very interesting news which we will see in the near future! For the next generation IS we will be seeing the LC’s hybrid system to take on the diesel competition as well as the established IS300h plus for those seeking a petrol variant there will be either a 200t or 300t (2.5TT V6) and a new IS400. A 400bhp+ 3.5TT V6 and is not an ISF as this is still in planing which “apparently” will return but am waiting for confirmation as to what engine will used. I have more information but will find the threads designated to what I know so far.

Will this rumored IS400 take the place of the current IS350 in terms of hierarchy and pricing?

Here in Canada, we have the IS300 RWD with the base 2.0T, then the IS300 AWD with a 3.5L V6, and topped by the IS350 AWD with the same 3.5L V6 but tuned to full power.

So basically you're saying that there will be a base 2.0T, a mid-range 2.5T for the IS300, and a 3.5TT V6 for what was formerly the IS350?

TheNerdyPotato

Follower
Reactions
So basically you're saying that there will be a base 2.0T, a mid-range 2.5T for the IS300, and a 3.5TT V6 for what was formerly the IS350?

Most likely that a 2.5T would take the spot of the 2GR and take the IS350 designation because they should have similar power output. What I don't get is that LexiF seems to be saying that an IS "400" would get the same powertrain as a LS "500."

Seriously, Lexus' model numbering is getting stupid.

GNS

Follower
Reactions
Most likely that a 2.5T would take the spot of the 2GR and take the IS350 designation because they should have similar power output. What I don't get is that LexiF seems to be saying that an IS "400" would get the same powertrain as a LS "500."

Seriously, Lexus' model numbering is getting stupid.

In this scenario, what price point would the range topping (non-F model) IS be? Would it be competing with the BMW 340i, Audi S4 at that point?

TheNerdyPotato

Follower
Reactions
In this scenario, what price point would the range topping (non-F model) IS be? Would it be competing with the BMW 340i, Audi S4 at that point?

Yeah, a starting price in the high 40s USD sounds about right, given that the starting price for a 300 is $38k and the 350 is about $42k.

Reactions

Welcome to Lexus Enthusiast @LexiF! First of all, these are very cool rumors in regards to the next generation IS. We hope you like it here and would be cool if you are also another insider like some of our fellow friends who have kindly given us some insights, notably @Carmaker1.

Now, the only part of your insider information that raises red flags for me is the 2.5 L Twin-Turbocharged V6. Why would they go for such a low displacement?? Isn't a four cylinder more suitable for that? More space per cylinder? We did have a 2.5 L Naturally Aspirated V6 but this is just weird.

And oh yes, please do find information in regards to the F model. Please be TT V8, please be TT V8......

bogglo

Admirer
Reactions
Welcome to Lexus Enthusiast @LexiF! First of all, these are very cool rumors in regards to the next generation IS. We hope you like it here and would be cool if you are also another insider like some of our fellow friends who have kindly given us some insights, notably @Carmaker1.

Now, the only part of your insider information that raises red flags for me is the 2.5 L Twin-Turbocharged V6. Why would they go for such a low displacement?? Isn't a four cylinder more suitable for that? More space per cylinder? We did have a 2.5 L Naturally Aspirated V6 but this is just weird.

And oh yes, please do find information in regards to the F model. Please be TT V8, please be TT V8......
Actually a 2.5L tt v6(if replacing 2.ot) looks like something lexus will do considering how they dont like to stress their engine. Although, I feel like a 3.0 would be better.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
2.5t and lately 2.4t have been rumored for quite a while... i assume it would be single turbo 2.4l from latest info, although it seems weird it would be 2.4l when their NA engines are 2.5l but indeed latest rumors from several spots say 2.4l. Weird.

300hp 2.5t seems quite ok engine to replace 3.5l GR outside of the US. IS500 would be also nice, and I dont see why not.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Looking at the numbers, the problem at this point is that with C43, Q50 3.0T Red Sport, S4, 340i and others, dropping the V35A-FTS into the IS basically has to happen just to remain competitive.

300hp 2.4/2.5T or TT I4 will likely be less desirable than a two decade old GR V6 for shoppers looking for additional performance, but it is fine for a base engine. 2.4/2.5L I4 makes little sense if a 2.0T will be more tax-friendly and can produce similar output. V35A-FTS might be a lot of engine for a car like this, but it's actually very competitive with other high performance engines in other compact/midsize cars.

Globally, they need ~270-300hp "IS 350" with 2.0T I4, ~215-220hp I4 hybrid "IS 300h" and ~400hp "IS 450" or "IS 500." IS F needs to be over 500hp, especially if GS F dies. If a 2.4/2.5L TT I4 could get to ~375hp, I think you could make the case that V35A-FTS isn't necessary, but that just seems really out of Lexus' character.

Status
Not open for further replies.