Status
Not open for further replies.

bogglo

Admirer
Reactions
What if there is indeed a surplus of unused 2UR-GSE engines and they want to get rid of them quickly? Currently the engine is used in only three low volume models, and even these underperform sales expectations. They originally expected 4000 LC500s a year, but only sells 30% of that, so I think the engine line is underutilized and possibly losing money.

Can somebody enlighten me why some on this forum insist the V35A-FTS needs to be detuned for the IS? There is no cost benefit for detuning the engine. And the current 310kW version is already "detuned" compared to its full potential. Its potential competitors (M340i S4 and C43AMG) do not use detuned engines. I am very, very confused everytime I see this.

you are right matter of fact the next LS500 might see a power bump to allow the IS500 shine. Also its only right for the RC especially to get the customer that the supra is loosing due to using BMW engine.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
Offering non full F V8 versions of cars would be pretty interesting. If only for giving Lexus' a distinct association with V8 engines, who would've thought.

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
Given that it's more likely than not that we're about to see a heavy facelift to 3IS, as opposed to a full-on 4IS (as originally mentioned in this thread's title), I've taken the liberty of retitling it.

Reactions
I work at a lexus dealership on the west coast and I was told that the new IS will be arriving at the end of the year, hopefully, if covid doesnt mess everything up. From what I was told the new IS will be bridging the gap between current IS and outgoing GS with a slightly longer body over current 3IS. New power trains as well including the V6TT at top trim (ie: IS500) no IS-F confirmed as of yet but there was some indication that it could be coming soon. This is all I was told about the new IS. In the same meeting there was talk of the new NX as well as a few other vehicles (LC convertible, LX redesign, LS refresh)

Reactions
IS500 having the TTV6 makes sense.

What about BEV's @Trismegistus , any news?

No talk of electrification. However this may be market specific USDM as I asked about the UX300e and was told there are no concrete plans to bring the compact bev stateside. This meeting was a few months ago, and as we all know plans change. Im hoping for a BEV or HFC vehicle soon myself but i feel that in typical TMC style they will play it safe until charging is widespread and fast enough to be a suitable replacement to traditional ICE vehicles

MichaelL

Follower
Reactions
I work at a lexus dealership on the west coast and I was told that the new IS will be arriving at the end of the year, hopefully, if covid doesnt mess everything up. From what I was told the new IS will be bridging the gap between current IS and outgoing GS with a slightly longer body over current 3IS. New power trains as well including the V6TT at top trim (ie: IS500) no IS-F confirmed as of yet but there was some indication that it could be coming soon. This is all I was told about the new IS. In the same meeting there was talk of the new NX as well as a few other vehicles (LC convertible, LX redesign, LS refresh)
Thanks for the scoop. Any word about the RC since it is related to the IS?

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
if they are putting 3.5tt into it, they are investing a lot of money into this "facelift" (if that is what it is), so I wonder what else will they change?

Reactions
Thanks for the scoop. Any word about the RC since it is related to the IS?
No word on anything RC, honestly I see it going the way of the GS if there isn't significant work put into it. Hopefully the LC convertible sells well so they green light the RC convertible. I can see that being a huge win for Lexus.

But back on to the IS,
if they are putting 3.5tt into it, they are investing a lot of money into this "facelift" (if that is what it is), so I wonder what else will they change?
By the sounds of it we are in for a true 4IS with a slightly longer mid section giving more room for rear seat passengers. My guess would be it being built on the Mirai frame due to the 5GS rumors and the knowledge that the GS is done. I also can see lexus moving to the "sedans are not entry level" i seen someone else say this earlier and it resonated with me. On my lot our lowest cost vehicles are all UX, these are the entry level Lexus vehicles. And with this talk of a new smaller crossover it would only make sense for it to be around 30k USD thus putting 2 vehicles under the IS making it a mid tier vehicle.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
No word on anything RC, honestly I see it going the way of the GS if there isn't significant work put into it. Hopefully the LC convertible sells well so they green light the RC convertible. I can see that being a huge win for Lexus.

But back on to the IS,

By the sounds of it we are in for a true 4IS with a slightly longer mid section giving more room for rear seat passengers. My guess would be it being built on the Mirai frame due to the 5GS rumors and the knowledge that the GS is done. I also can see lexus moving to the "sedans are not entry level" i seen someone else say this earlier and it resonated with me. On my lot our lowest cost vehicles are all UX, these are the entry level Lexus vehicles. And with this talk of a new smaller crossover it would only make sense for it to be around 30k USD thus putting 2 vehicles under the IS making it a mid tier vehicle.

I think we already have some size numbers for IS, from leaks before - it will be only slightly larger, basically same IS as always.
What will likely happen is that they will extend its difference between base and loaded model, as well as lower LS little bit down to the lower starting price with that 2.4tt, etc.

I am sure @Gecko and @Joaquin Ruhi have much better imagination/information but I can see IS500 with full semi-aniline leather dash, 420hp engine, huge screens, and everything else that makes car expensive, take a spot that GS350 never really held. It still wont sell great in Europe or USA, but that is the sign of times. At least we will have another car to win comparos.

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
I think we already have some size numbers for IS, from leaks before - it will be only slightly larger, basically same IS as always.
According to MagX via CarSensor, the 2021 IS will be 4720mm (185.8") long, 1810mm (71.3") wide and 1425mm (56.1") high. That makes it 55mm (2.1") longer and 5mm (0.2") lower than the current IS, while the width remains the same. No word on whether the wheelbase will be any longer (I highly doubt it) or if the extra length goes into added overhang (most likely).

It still wont sell great in Europe or USA, but that is the sign of times. At least we will have another car to win comparos.
Agreed.

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions
The news of a new 4IS this year is exciting, but I wonder why no spy shots have been seen yet? 🤔

Sulu

Expert
Reactions
With the rumours of an available V8 and a longer car, this new IS would seem to me to be an all-new, TNGA model. Otherwise, why invest engineering resources into retrofitting a V8 and lengthening an old platform that may only serve for another 2 or 3 years?

So why no more leaked information about this new IS, including spy shots?

Could it be that Toyota/Lexus (and all of its engineering employees) is really good -- really very disciplined -- at hiding its new vehicle development, and then only intentionally leaking bits and pieces when the corporate bosses want to (and not allowing any employees to leak any new product information)?

Could it be that Toyota/Lexus has top-secret development and test facilities that auto-critics are not aware of (like that jokingly rumoured secret test facility under Mount Fuji)?

Could it be that the auto media (including the spy photographers who lie in wait for new test models to drive by their hiding spot) really do not care about new, upcoming Toyota and Lexus models?

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
With the rumours of an available V8 and a longer car, this new IS would seem to me to be an all-new, TNGA model. Otherwise, why invest engineering resources into retrofitting a V8 and lengthening an old platform that may only serve for another 2 or 3 years?

So why no more leaked information about this new IS, including spy shots?

Could it be that Toyota/Lexus (and all of its engineering employees) is really good -- really very disciplined -- at hiding its new vehicle development, and then only intentionally leaking bits and pieces when the corporate bosses want to (and not allowing any employees to leak any new product information)?

Could it be that Toyota/Lexus has top-secret development and test facilities that auto-critics are not aware of (like that jokingly rumoured secret test facility under Mount Fuji)?

Could it be that the auto media (including the spy photographers who lie in wait for new test models to drive by their hiding spot) really do not care about new, upcoming Toyota and Lexus models?
This is so well-written and accurate it hurts. Especially that last paragraph, just wow! I have touched on this before, but it's great to see someone else point it out.

(Hey everyone I haven't logged in because I've been very busy)

Status
Not open for further replies.