Status
Not open for further replies.

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
Why can't just Lexus announce the 4IS even if it's going to be out in 2022?

At least it's a cheap and effective way to throw a wrench in competitors' new / re-refreshed line up.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions

At least it's a cheap and effective way to throw a wrench in competitors' new / re-refreshed line up.

There's a media cycle that needs to follow with pictures, first looks, test drives, and comparisons... so if you debut something at a time when nobody can see anything other than press photos, it will drop into the abyss by the time it's actually available (when you want the most hype).

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
There's a media cycle that needs to follow with pictures, first looks, test drives, and comparisons... so if you debut something at a time when nobody can see anything other than press photos, it will drop into the abyss by the time it's actually available (when you want the most hype).
I didn't know these things still apply in the internet age but good (sad) to know that we may lose a few buyers to other brands in the meantime.

At least confirm the model year the 4IS will be out.

mediumhot

Follower
Reactions
I'm just worried that, as of April 2020, there still has been no mules, no prototypes or design concepts, no trademarks (I think) made for the IS. 3IS is older than the NX. Yet, the NX has been trademarked and confirmed to be out already was it next year? I know the NX sells a lot more nowadays but still...nothing confirmed for the IS. I just hope it's me being ignorant rather than a sign that the car is being phased out along with the GS...
As for engines, I still reckon a base 2L turbo or something equivelant to roughly 180kw, a more powerful 2.5L hybrid around 180kws, something arouhd 250kw in the guise of a 2.4L turbo or something and maybe, if the range stretches far enough, a detuned 3.5L twin turbo and or a more powerful hybrid/phev. The IS has always been 2-3 engines since first gen. With the GS gone maybe it can afford to go an extra one or two.

btw if i'm being ignorant, please direct me to some recent articles that proves i'm being worried over nothing.

There is nothing to trademark in IS case since both IS350 and IS250 trademarks are still valid. The only one that's gone is IS300.

Sebass

Follower
Reactions
Your profile picture is not a gecko, what gives?

Sulu

Expert
Reactions

Once you announce the imminent introduction of a new generation, you risk losing sales of the current generation, as prospective buyers give up on the current model, thinking that with the new model coming, they will just wait for the new car.

This has happened to the Camry. The Camry was once the best-selling car in the USA, maintaining the status for years on end, except for one year, when a new generation was imminent. Buyers decided to wait for the new model, giving up on the then current model. Learning from that, in the years when a new generation of the Camry was pending, Toyota would push the outgoing model, all in order to maintain best-selling sales of the Camry.

But if the wait is too long for the new generation, you risk buyers losing interest in the current generation, then also losing interest in the upcoming generation because they give up waiting so long for the new car.

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
Once you announce the imminent introduction of a new generation, you risk losing sales of the current generation, as prospective buyers give up on the current model, thinking that with the new model coming, they will just wait for the new car.

This has happened to the Camry. The Camry was once the best-selling car in the USA, maintaining the status for years on end, except for one year, when a new generation was imminent. Buyers decided to wait for the new model, giving up on the then current model. Learning from that, in the years when a new generation of the Camry was pending, Toyota would push the outgoing model, all in order to maintain best-selling sales of the Camry.

But if the wait is too long for the new generation, you risk buyers losing interest in the current generation, then also losing interest in the upcoming generation because they give up waiting so long for the new car.

So the Osborn effect?

I guess most buyers in North America or even in Europe have been switching cars every 5 to 6 years so most wouldn't really bother with the current IS when competition has already moved onto the next generation.

Those who keep cars longer will probably be smart enough to wait for the 4IS or if it comes too late, will opt for the competition.

Those who lease for 3-4 years won't bother with the 3IS.

Only ones I can think of who will buy a new 3IS are those needing a new entry-level luxury car and will be driving them to the ground.

I didn't know there were many falling under the last category but that's basically those buying 2019 and 2020 and 2021 IS. I sure wouldn't buy the 3IS new.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions

It's the risk you run when the entire industry has model lifespan that're shorter than yours. You're leaving for the last few years to be rife with rumor about "overdue" refreshes or new models.

Sebass

Follower
Reactions
View attachment 3851

Anyone else think this could be the new IS in the background?
Too short to be an ES and doesn't look like the current IS to me.....

Original image here.
Even though the lady has an image of our current IS on her phone, you are correct in the vehicle not being the current IS. It is however most likely the ES. I can tell firstly because of the wheels, which although blurred, look exactly like the ES's 18 inch split 5 spoke wheels. The IS doesn't have wheels like that in the slightest. The taillights also look very much like the ES, in that they wrap around to the side of the car far less than on the IS. The whole black shape created by the windows also looks very long and sleek, whereas it is shorter and stubier on the current IS. I do appreciate your guess though and if Lexus did tease future vehicles in their current marketing, it would be very clever and sly of them... in a good way.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
There is nothing to trademark in IS case since both IS350 and IS250 trademarks are still valid. The only one that's gone is IS300.

It depends if the new IS in an all new IS like LS and ES, or an extensive facelift like previous LS and current LX. In anycase the IS needs the new turbocharged I4 hybrid. The V6 turbo could be the F model. But if the IS is a facelift without and the F model gets V8, there needs to be a V6 hybrid. The IS should cover the IS and GS market, as does the VW Passat/Aerton.

Anyone else think this could be the new IS in the background?
Too short to be an ES and doesn't look like the current IS to me.....

If true, it is sad the IS went FWD also. No point in such a car.

Sebass

Follower
Reactions
Newest update: What I posted before may be wrong and IS is all-new on a TNGA platform. I don’t know which platform, but that’s what I was told more recently. I think 2GR is carryover though.

Y’all can light me on fire now.
🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥

Sebass

Follower
Reactions

On a side note, I watched the above acceleration video for the 2018 Toyota Crown 3.5L Hybrid (8GR-FXS) and I'm shocked at how fast it can move; it does 0 - 100km/h in 4.7s. I wouldn't mind at all if the next gen IS was on a similar TNGA platform with that engine + 10 speed auto + AWD.

Never mind the V35A-FTS twin turbo V6, put that 8GR-FXS in with 354hp and you can have your cake and eat it too.
Are you aware if the Crown with the 8GR-FXS and the hybrid setup uses the 10 speed? All lexus and toyota hybrids I am aware of just use a crappy CVT.

Sulu

Expert
Reactions
Are you aware if the Crown with the 8GR-FXS and the hybrid setup uses the 10 speed? All lexus and toyota hybrids I am aware of just use a crappy CVT.
All Toyota and Lexus hybrids use an eCVT, an electronic CVT, that is absolutely nothing like a mechanical "crappy CVT" that you would see on a Toyota Corolla.

And, in fact, that 10-speed hybrid transmission that you refer to is not a real 10-speed transmission, and is not related at all to the 10-speed transmission used on the LC 500 and LS 500; the transmissions used in the non-hybrid and hybrid LC and LS are 2 entirely different transmissions. The 10-speed hybrid transmission uses the eCVT (with 3 simulated transmission speeds) and a mechanical 4-speed planetary gear transmission, electronically-coupled together to produce a 10-speed transmission.

Status
Not open for further replies.