Tesla - Brand Perception/Opinions

Will1991

Reactions
I was expecting a bit more to be honest, if you remove the 7.500USD from the FSD software that’s being sold for years with so many delays, it ends up being quite average IMO.

Considering also the latest price cuts it’s below average.

When you compare it with TMC it’s even worse because a big portion of TMC comes from cars that are so much cheaper than a base TM3 (All of those Yaris, Aygo’s, emerging market Raize, etc…).

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
I was expecting a bit more to be honest, if you remove the 7.500USD from the FSD software that’s being sold for years with so many delays, it ends up being quite average IMO.

When you compare it with TMC it’s even worse because a big portion of TMC comes from cars that are so much cheaper than a base TM3 (All of those Yaris, Aygo’s, emerging market Raize, etc…).
The take rate of FSD is very low (hence offered on subscription basis), so it's not yet a big deal from a margin standpoint.
Yes, to grow Tesla at a high rate (like way higher than industry average), margins will likely be average.

Last edited:

Levi

Expert
Reactions
Tesla can slash prices, so so can China, and I read in response to what Tesla did, Chinese makers did the same. If "China's" goal is to take over the car market as they took over the smartphone market (Android), they'll do the same regardless of initial financial losses.

LS500-18

Follower
Reactions
I can’t like the Kia EV6 GT is super impressive and makes me scratch my sometimes. It’s damn near a 600hp Kia EV….
I've owned two Teslas, it's hard to get excited about almost any gas engine mobile after that. The EV6 looks are not for me but I can imagine how it performs. Torque is the thing with EV's, not horsepower.

I test drove the BMW i4 and it was a very linear strong power delivery, gobs of instant torque (of course). Sport mode unlocked all the torque on that car. I would likely pick the BMW EV over a Lexus simply because BMW has a lot more EV experience, and the car has a LOT better software and features than the RZ.

If Lexus continues down the path they are going with the RZ, I'm pretty sure I will be switching brands next time.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
I've owned two Teslas, it's hard to get excited about almost any gas engine mobile after that. The EV6 looks are not for me but I can imagine how it performs. Torque is the thing with EV's, not horsepower.

I test drove the BMW i4 and it was a very linear strong power delivery, gobs of instant torque (of course). Sport mode unlocked all the torque on that car. I would likely pick the BMW EV over a Lexus simply because BMW has a lot more EV experience, and the car has a LOT better software and features than the RZ.

If Lexus continues down the path they are going with the RZ, I'm pretty sure I will be switching brands next time.
Ummm no. The i4 is a terribly engineered ICEV conversion that's as behind the average competition as the RZ, just in a different flavor.

If owning two TM3s were terrible experiences for you, expect every other EV experience to be just as bad or worse.

Will1991

Reactions
Ummm no. The i4 is a terribly engineered ICEV conversion that's as behind the average competition as the RZ, just in a different flavor.

If owning two TM3s were terrible experiences for you, expect every other EV experience to be just as bad or worse.

I don’t think the terrible experience was from the BEV ownership, but rather from lack of reliability.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
I don’t think the terrible experience was from the BEV ownership, but rather from lack of reliability.
Ancient reliability history on 2 early production Tesla Model S’s, (blah blah on and on, with occasional dug up internet hyperbole added in to resemble current events lol), no doubt those early experiences were horrible. Oh yeah, the low range RZ…

Will1991

Reactions
To be fair, I do think that the RZ is coming too expensive and not enough range for a car that’s coming in 2023…
And trust me, I’m making everything I can to get into a Lexus!

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
The competition in commercial EVs is tighter than the competition for consumer EVs.

There are multiple purpose built, highly streamlined solutions out there reusing existing homologated chassis and other parts, with millions of miles and plenty of units out in the field for a good while now. These companies are now finally getting through fleet-side validation

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
Nope. None of those.

Companies you havent heard of will have a few thousand fleet EVs delivered this year. To major, real fleets whose validation accelerates the land grab.

And they havent ever had their units broken down on the side of the road either.

Semis arent even the whole opportunity. Its not even necessarily the most exciting commercial EV class in my opinion.

LS500-18

Follower
Reactions

Have you driven the i4 or is your opinion from typical YouTube reviewers? I didn't own M3's. My Teslas the cars were awesome and super fun but the endless repairs and broken promises and declining service is just a few of the reasons I left the brand.

LS500-18

Follower
Reactions
Ancient reliability history on 2 early production Tesla Model S’s, (blah blah on and on, with occasional dug up internet hyperbole added in to resemble current events lol), no doubt those early experiences were horrible. Oh yeah, the low range RZ…
I keep giving current examples of brand new Tesla owner issues like steering wheels falling off and cars shutting down on the highway on the first day, but fanboys always like to point out that Tesla quality is constantly improving (ha!). That's clearly not the case in Fremont and it doesn't take much effort to see that's true. But this thread isn't about that company.

Here's an example from *yesterday* - My Tesla has needed service 5 times in 5 months - I feel for the guy, I can relate.

Last edited:

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Here's an example from *yesterday* - My Tesla has needed service 5 times in 5 months - I feel for the guy, I can relate.
Exactly, again digging up whatever you can find on any make/brand of car is easy on the internet, lol.
And that's exactly what you did with the Tesla Model S you tube guy from "yesterday". Did you even listen to the video? He bought a used Tesla 2021 Model S from CarMax with 23K miles and now has over 30K miles on it and keeps making separate service appointments (5 as you correctly pointed out) for door handles and seats. btw, he's happy with the car.

What this has to do with the RZ is a mystery. Don't we have a I hate Tesla off topic thread for this stuff?

Last edited:

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
^ Sounds like that OTA update needs to happen fast for the vehicles with FSD.