Tesla - Brand Perception/Opinions

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
And a more stud-ly brand (Peterbilt) than this rig.

Attachments

• 472806BD-7A7A-4AFF-8194-5C29F27AA2F6.jpeg
    472806BD-7A7A-4AFF-8194-5C29F27AA2F6.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 67

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
Truly ive been owned. The tesla semi is truly the perfect response to argue Tesla's ability to execute.

How many miles have these done? Do we know? Have they been spotted testing on roads? Feels to me validation with fleets is yet to wrap. Genuinely curious.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
As someone who literally works partly in the field we are discussing, those photos mean nothing.

Validation with fleet customers is idiosyncratic and done individually per fleet, and even before that there needs to be millions of on road miles of validation. I think we would have reams of footage of them testing, going through torture tests etc. Especially given how promotional the company is.

Also they arent electrifying a proven, homologated frame. They are designing and homologating from scratch. Then they have to convince a fleet manager to go with them vs the efforts from incumbents, or other more focused entrants using proven existing platforms adaptes for eletric drive trains.

They would likely be their own biggest customer. Thats serious concentration risk.

Last edited:

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
As someone who literally works partly in the field we are discussing, those photos mean nothing.

Validation with fleet customers is idiosyncratic and done individually per fleet, and even before that there needs to be millions of on road miles of validation. I think we would have reams of footage of them testing, going through torture tests etc. Especially given how promotional the company is.

Also they arent electrifying a proven, homologated frame. They are designing and homologating from scratch.
Lol 🤪. smfh
As someone (me) that actually and literally worked recently full time in this field we are discussing for several years, these are photos I took.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
Lol 🤪. smfh
As someone (me) that actually and literally worked recently full time in this field we are discussing for several years, these are photos I took.
Well then id love to know how far along they are in validation. Are they working to grab market share with other fleets or internally focused? The packs for these need a lot of nickel too, right? How many are out there, have you seen many?

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Well then id love to know how far along they are in validation. Are they working to grab market share with other fleets or internally focused? The packs for these need a lot of nickel too, right? How many are out there, have you seen many?
Wouldn‘t you love to know, listen to Q4 2022 call, you know the drill in a publicly traded company

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
Wouldn‘t you love to know, listen to Q4 2022 call, you know the drill in a publicly traded company
Yeah if people could trust any guidance from management thatd be great

Nice deflection though, real concerned about privacy is the logistics employee posting photos on a forum ;)

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Yeah if people could trust any guidance from management thatd be great

Nice deflection though, real concerned about privacy is the logistics employee posting photos on a forum ;)
Lol, smfh as usual
btw, who’s the “logistics employee“?
These rigs (photographed) shown are regularly driving on public roads in greater Bay Area of CA.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
Logistics employee isnt a dig dude wtf, those are important jobs, short staffed and overworked

It seems theyre testing with a few companies and first units for testing inhouse at the fleet are being delivered.

Heres hoping it materializes at scale, but this is not an uncrowded space behind the scenes, globally.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Logistics employee isnt a dig dude wtf, those are important jobs, short staffed and overworked
Agreed, I’ve worked with plenty of them in my past corporate roles.
Just not sure of “logistics employee“ you were referring to.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
472806bd-7a7a-4aff-8194-5c29f27aa2f6-jpeg.6619

If this is the real final truck, it is the first time I noticed this, and question if this is not a big fatal mistake: center driver seat.

I am no lorry/truck driver, but when I driver panel vans, I absolutely do not see myself being able to drive precisely, a truck being much larger and sitting even higher, I imagine this to be even worse.
It is a truck that drives on two-way roads, and if on the highway, overtaking can be done only from one side. This is not a McLaren F1/racecar or a train the drives on track in only one direction. One can better feel where the wheel is on the road, when it is on the closer side to the driver, and this side defines the taken trajectory.

Did Tesla allow real semi driver to test if they were fine with center seat position? Or is Tesla so sure the semi will have level 5 autopilot? Tesla always trying to reinvent the wheel, but the only products that sell are those where they did not invent/reinvent anything.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Even slashing prices to move cars is presented as an advantage
That's correct, as long as they can maintain decent margins and profitability (tbd). Aggressive move (not forgetting all the previous price increases when Tesla was paying premiums to get parts on time), competition has certainly noticed.
The 4 factories need to be running near capacity to absorb manufacturing overhead, no different than any other major automaker.
Note: Tesla is not heavily burdened with debt like the other top automaker companies.

Last edited: