Tesla - Brand Perception/Opinions

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
The discount on new Model 3 sedans and Model Y sport utility vehicles is double what the company was offering earlier this month. It mirrors an anticipated change in how much of a tax credit certain consumers will be eligible for early next year. Free supercharging is small potatoes for Tesla (with an expiration date), but customers lap it up.

Tesla vehicles were expected to be in line for $3,750 tax credits starting in January as part of changes that the Inflation Reduction Act made to federal incentives for electric vehicles. That changed this week when the US Treasury Department announced it was delaying guidance on new battery content requirements. Postponing those restrictions likely will make certain EV models eligible for a full $7,500 credit early next year.

Many (upper income) CA customers are taking the discount and taking delivery in December, a sure thing when compared to qualifying for fed incentives.

Och

Admirer
Reactions
If you read up on the /r/electricvehicles, the public electric charging infrastructure is turning out to be a complete clusterpluck, and virtually useless in the cold weather. It will likely get even worse as things age.

Seems like only Tesla has the competence to provide adequate charging network, and while their cars are essentially poorly built Sentra level econoboxes, they are the most viable for many years to come.

Reactions

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
Wow tesla owner forums are quite a mess. What a maladjusted group, it seems quite a defensive bunch.

LS500-18

Follower
Reactions
If you read up on the /r/electricvehicles, the public electric charging infrastructure is turning out to be a complete clusterpluck, and virtually useless in the cold weather. It will likely get even worse as things age.

Seems like only Tesla has the competence to provide adequate charging network, and while their cars are essentially poorly built Sentra level econoboxes, they are the most viable for many years to come.
Yes you nailed it. I had Teslas from 2015-2021 and just had enough of the **** quality needing repairs way too often. Now have a RAV4 Prime and Lexus ES300h. Would rather be driving Teslas again but their quality is poor, customer service is lacking, service is much worse than dealerships, the cars don't look overly good other than the S, etc. Basically I want some of the Tesla tech (app) and the driving experience but with none of the other BS that goes along with owning a Tesla.

I would much rather drive like an Audi Etron GT or similar but at the end of the day the non-Tesla DC charging network really sucks. We get real winter and especially around Xmas the chargers quit because it's -30C.

I am overjoyed that Tesla is imploding right now, I feel vindicated for the **** I went through and the BS that Elon spewed for years that stupid people believed. I would like to see Elon in jail and Tesla go bankrupt but I know neither of those will happen.

Sulu

Admirer
Reactions

A new law in California is going to force Tesla to change the way that it advertises its Full Self-Driving feature. Beginning in 2023, the bill prohibits manufacturers from “deceptively naming or marketing” such features. That means that Tesla might have to rename the feature in California too.
Good, and about time this was done (and enforced).

The bill, SB No. 1398, signed by Governor Gavin Newsom specifically does two main things regarding autonomous driving technology and the automakers that offer it. Firstly, it requires any such automaker to provide the buyer or owner with a consumer notice that describes the functions and limitations of those features.

That’s in line with multiple studies that find consumers are regularly uncertain of the autonomous driving features in their own vehicles. The second part of the bill specifically prohibits “a manufacturer or dealer from deceptively naming or marketing these features, as specified.”
But will the notices be written in clear, concise, easily-understood language or will the automakers be allowed to get away with wishy-washy descriptions that really do not help?

Reactions
I am overjoyed that Tesla is imploding right now, I feel vindicated for the **** I went through and the BS that Elon spewed for years that stupid people believed. I would like to see Elon in jail and Tesla go bankrupt but I know neither of those will happen.
For Elon, its a December to Remember!

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Hello! Is this Tesla hate thread? lol.

I would like to see Elon in jail and Tesla go bankrupt but I know neither of those will happen.

why in the world would you want that, because of Twitter? And why would Elon go to jail? wtf.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
Hello! Is this Tesla hate thread? lol.

why in the world would you want that, because of Twitter? And why would Elon go to jail? wtf.
Because he actively lying to investors, making statements through Twitter manipulating markets and toying with the investments of millions of people? That's not to mention all the sociopolitical issues he is actively pushing.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions

you have to understand - public charging infrastructure is better than ever before. So it was worse before. Problems are bigger than that specific new charger from EA that had problems charging in really low temps, quite often you will simply not know if charger you are going to actually works or not. Especially if you are looking for newer >150kw chargers.

It is similar in Europe as well, you have to have 7 apps to check status of various chargers and navigate there manually since nothing is connected to your car, and your car knows ****.

Unless you have a Tesla. In Europe where I live, Tesla just added other public chargers to their nav and will navigate you there if better than Tesla SC.

Both build quality and autopilot are way better than what they were 1,2,5 years ago too.

I think it is simple enough - only EV manufacturers are EV manufacturers, and everyone else just pretends for now.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Because he actively lying to investors, making statements through Twitter manipulating markets and toying with the investments of millions of people? That's not to mention all the sociopolitical issues he is actively pushing.

you want people to go to jail because of "sociopolitical issues he is actively pushing"? People dont go to jail if you dont like them, sorry, maybe in North Korea, and only if your name is Kim Jong.

I do agree he either needs to let go of twitter or tesla, because negative light on him makes people dislike associated companies. Also his eccentricity and no person sparred way he runs his businesses, does not really lend itself to public light. Not to mention that Twitter is not going to change a world, one way or another, unlike his other companies.

Och

Admirer
Reactions
you have to understand - public charging infrastructure is better than ever before. So it was worse before. Problems are bigger than that specific new charger from EA that had problems charging in really low temps, quite often you will simply not know if charger you are going to actually works or not. Especially if you are looking for newer >150kw chargers.

Public infrastructure is growing, but often enough it is being built by companies that receive subsidies, and they give no flying crap regarding maintenance and repairs. If you read up in the comments, everyone is complaining that EA chargers are constantly out of order, and nobody bothers to repair them. It is typical in the US, and perhaps other part of the world, for any types of infrastructure being fully or partially subsidized by the government to quickly dilapidate and fall apart.

So if many of these public chargers are already plagued by issues, things will only get worse as they age.

It is similar in Europe as well, you have to have 7 apps to check status of various chargers and navigate there manually since nothing is connected to your car, and your car knows ****.

Yeah, thats another hilarious thing, I've read in the comments people complaining having to install a bunch of different apps, and having to go through convoluted process to register with each one etc.

I think it is simple enough - only EV manufacturers are EV manufacturers, and everyone else just pretends for now.

Yep, pretty much. Everyone besides Tesla just build half assed EVs for hype and compliance, and then they essentially abandon them and provide no support. They do not invest in charging infrastructure, and often cant even supply parts/body panels for repairs in any kind of timely manner.

Och

Admirer
Reactions
Both build quality and autopilot are way better than what they were 1,2,5 years ago too.
Perhaps, but they are still crap. Would be great if Tesla partnered up with say Toyota/Lexus - a Lexla Plaid-F sounds hot. :D

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
you want people to go to jail because of "sociopolitical issues he is actively pushing"? People dont go to jail if you dont like them, sorry, maybe in North Korea, and only if your name is Kim Jong.

I do agree he either needs to let go of twitter or tesla, because negative light on him makes people dislike associated companies. Also his eccentricity and no person sparred way he runs his businesses, does not really lend itself to public light. Not to mention that Twitter is not going to change a world, one way or another, unlike his other companies.
Actually you go to jail for anti social, destructive behavior all the time.

If any of our issuer CEOs did half the stuff he did, we would be working to get a new exec in before we get charged or sued.

This is not a joke.