Second Generation Toyota Mirai

Gor134

Admirer
Reactions
How does rear seat compare to the IS?

I know Mirai has unusable rear seats but the toyota.jp spec sheets suggest the legroom (800mm) is less than 3IS (840mm) but I think it's a typo and should be close to S220 Crown (900mm)
It might be wrong. According to Toyota USA and Lexus USA, the Mirai has 33.1 inches of rear legroom and the current-gen IS has 32.2 inches.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
How does rear seat compare to the IS?

I know Mirai has unusable rear seats but the toyota.jp spec sheets suggest the legroom (800mm) is less than 3IS (840mm) but I think it's a typo and should be close to S220 Crown (900mm)

Honestly I think those numbers might be right. The rear seats did seem a bit tighter to me than the 3IS.

Reactions
HFCV: dispenser unavailable!!! what shall I do?
BEV: don't worry, you are not alone. that's my every day life....
For those in California, there are plenty of EV chargers, versus those FC stations. You can charge your EV at home albeit slower.

Last edited:

BenzCity

Fan
Reactions
Toyota has been supplying their long time partner Caetano of Portugal with Mirai fuel cell stacks for their fuel cell buses. They're now also co-branding their electric buses. First buses are already on European streets. It is nice to see the Toyota logo on buses in Europe.

toyota-caetanobus-e-city-gold-h2-city-gold-elektrobus-electric-bus-portugal-2021-01-min.png

csm_Caetano_H2.City_Gold_2021_733680b432.jpg

Motor

Expert
Reactions

Levi

Expert
Reactions
S0-a-paris-la-toyota-mirai-ne-va-pas-fermer-l-oeil-de-la-nuit-726893.jpg

Industrial gas giant Air Liquide is teaming up with Toyota to offer a hydrogen mobility service for the 21st edition of Nuit Blanche – an annual all-night festival to be held in Paris, France.

As sponsors of the event, both Groups will showcase this service by providing visitors with the new generation of Toyota Mirai shuttles powered by hydrogen produced by Air Liquide.

This will allow visitors to travel between three main areas of the event: the Charléty stadium, the Hôtel de Ville, and the Villette, enabling passengers to discover artwork installations while demonstrating low-carbon hydrogen technology.

“By providing sustainable mobility for Nuit Blanche, a major event in the cultural life of Paris, Air Liquide is reiterating its ambition to provide society with tangible solutions that address both the climate emergency and mobility needs,” commented Matthieu Giard, Vice President, Member of Air Liquide’s Executive Committee, supervising hydrogen activity.

In addition to showcasing their respective technology, Air Liquide will broadcast its special programme ‘Generation Hydrogene’ to educate the public about hydrogen and the role it will play in the energy transition.

By focusing on expanding its range of environmentally friendly mobility solutions to encompass not just cars, but trains, buses and boats, Toyota hopes to promote the advent of a ‘zero-emission’ world.

Stating that the company champions a ‘low-carbon, inclusive and responsible society’, Frank Marotte, President, CEO, Toyota France, added, “That is why we aim to achieve carbon neutrality in Europe by 2030.”

“Providing access to the Toyota Mirai, a zero-emission hydrogen vehicle, is a wonderful example of our investment in a better world.”

The event is set to take place during the night of October 1st, with Air Liquide’s ‘Generation Hydrogen scheduled to broadcast on its website on September 28th.

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
Didnt know the wolf of wall street is now in the marketing biz, cause whoever signed off on this campaign pulled a fast one.

If H2 is the future, I need to see more infrastructure, especially low cost conversions of existing refueling stations from dino to h2, and consistency at that. Right now in the minds of folks H2 is a pipe dream, thanks to having to limit your self to the 2 stations that may or may not have fuel ready for a owner.

Trexus

Founding Member
Reactions
Governments should mandate hydrogen to get auto manufacturers and oil companies to produce hydrogen vehicles and hydrogen fuel stations as hydrogen is the most abundant element in the universe. Then we can keep our petrol motors which is offset by hydrogen.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
It's incredibly dumb to try to market H2 in Europe as European people have a lot of harsh words to say about natural gas prices right now.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions

The new RX has those cameras above the steering wheel

Sulu

Admirer
Reactions
Governments should mandate hydrogen to get auto manufacturers and oil companies to produce hydrogen vehicles and hydrogen fuel stations as hydrogen is the most abundant element in the universe. Then we can keep our petrol motors which is offset by hydrogen.
Hydrogen may be the most abundant element in the universe, but here on Earth, it is locked up in molecules such as water and hydrocarbons (such as natural gas or other fossil fuels). It takes energy to separate hydrogen from those other elements (oxygen in water and carbon in hydrocarbons). Where do you get that energy -- burn hydrocarbon fuels?

And if you can separate hydrogen out of hydrocarbons cleanly (e.g. solar or wind energy), you are still left with a "dirty" waste, carbon, not much different than if you burned that hydrocarbon for energy.

Will1991

Reactions
If H2 is the future, I need to see more infrastructure, especially low cost conversions of existing refueling stations from dino to h2, and consistency at that. Right now in the minds of folks H2 is a pipe dream, thanks to having to limit your self to the 2 stations that may or may not have fuel ready for a owner.

They're really expensive, around 1.5M € for each one, without local electrolysis... It's a chicken and egg thing, but it's really hard to financially justify this investment right now.

It's incredibly dumb to try to market H2 in Europe as European people have a lot of harsh words to say about natural gas prices right now.

I think it's the other way around, it's the best moment to get it advertised. It's expensive, but it can be produced anywhere trough electrolysis, can be a partial substitute to replace some natural gas in homes and companies, can be produced off peak hours... It would have a more constant pricing, more resilient pricing to supply interruptions.

Hydrogen may be the most abundant element in the universe, but here on Earth, it is locked up in molecules such as water and hydrocarbons (such as natural gas or other fossil fuels). It takes energy to separate hydrogen from those other elements (oxygen in water and carbon in hydrocarbons). Where do you get that energy -- burn hydrocarbon fuels?

And if you can separate hydrogen out of hydrocarbons cleanly (e.g. solar or wind energy), you are still left with a "dirty" waste, carbon, not much different than if you burned that hydrocarbon for energy.

I really hope to see considerably more investments in green hydrogen than steam reforming... It's environmentally nuts to do it.