Second Generation Toyota Mirai

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
I think it's the other way around, it's the best moment to get it advertised. It's expensive, but it can be produced anywhere trough electrolysis, can be a partial substitute to replace some natural gas in homes and companies, can be produced off peak hours... It would have a more constant pricing, more resilient pricing to supply interruptions.
Green hydrogen is just so little of market share right now. Direct-solar water splitting is still vaporware. Sure Japan has built some waste conversion plants but you can't run an entire society on septic tanks. Electrolysis is just plain stupid because it's wasting energy that can charge batteries directly. Steam reforming is still king in terms of overall energy and carbon footprint for H2 production.

So at least in the near future, hydrogen prices will be very dependent on natural gas prices.

Governments should mandate hydrogen to get auto manufacturers and oil companies to produce hydrogen vehicles and hydrogen fuel stations as hydrogen is the most abundant element in the universe.
This is true, and solar, wind, hydro are all hydrogen energy and they use the much more efficient hydrogen fusion process instead of chemical combustion/electrochemical reaction.

larryren

Follower
Reactions
Greeting! Toyota China and GAC-Toyota have been announced the 2nd Gen. Mirai will Introduce the Chinese market by the end of this year. The first 50 units will be available at selected dealers in Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou and Foshan.
MSRP is 748,000 RMB to 751,000 RMB (≈104,570 USD to 104,989.80 USD. Not include the NEV subsidies)

mmexport1664182142373.jpg

Will1991

Reactions
Green hydrogen is just so little of market share right now. Direct-solar water splitting is still vaporware. Sure Japan has built some waste conversion plants but you can't run an entire society on septic tanks. Electrolysis is just plain stupid because it's wasting energy that can charge batteries directly. Steam reforming is still king in terms of overall energy and carbon footprint for H2 production.

So at least in the near future, hydrogen prices will be very dependent on natural gas prices.

I think I've read something like >2% of total H2 production. Despite that, I think it's tremendously marketable as things are right now to try to improve general opinion for hydrogen.
It's true that's so much more efficient to charge a battery, but due to my professional activity (I work with heavy duty trucks and buses), there're some concerns about future charging infrastructure for this segment, even with MCS system...
But yes, you're 100% right.

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
The new RX has those cameras above the steering wheel
Are these the same cameras thats been in use since the original Pre-Collision System? (dont remember if that launched with the 4th Gen LS or 3rd gen LS)

Motor

Expert
Reactions

• Toyota Teammate™ with Advanced Park and Optional Advanced Drive available on Limited Grade
  • New Toyota Audio Multimedia Standard with Available Connectivity and Convenience Features
  • Striking, Elegant Sedan Built on Premium RWD Platform
  • Up to EPA Estimated 402 Miles of Range on XLE Grade
  • Up to $15,000 of Hydrogen Fuel Included with Mirai Purchase or Lease

supra93

Expert
Reactions

S__3719205.jpg

S__37192241.jpg

S__3719243.jpg

b.ba

Fan
Reactions
If both the Crown Sedan FCEV and Mirai FCEV will co-exist in certain markets without cannibalizing each other (i.e. like the RAV4 and Venza), is this in line with Toyota spreading development costs/offering similar products from the same platform in a different package? The market for a RWD FCEV is very niche, so I suppose they both won't be offered in many markets.

I don't think the Crown Sports sedan will reach the US so I wonder what the future of the Mirai will be and how a next generation will look.

Secretly I'm hoping this a sign that Toyota hasn't completely abandoned RWD sedan development but that is probably a dream at this point.

Gor134

Admirer
Reactions
Well originally I thought the Crown FCEV would be replacing the Mirai... But now that the Mirai is getting a sports package that means it's got a bit more life in it I assume

mediumhot

Follower
Reactions
How in the hell do they come to conclusion GS will not sell but this will? Why not make it a Lexus GS hydrogen car then?

Trexus

Founding Member
Reactions
How in the hell do they come to conclusion GS will not sell but this will? Why not make it a Lexus GS hydrogen car then?
GS 300FC/350FC?

Either way, Lexus (Koji Sato) please bring back a 5GS!

Last edited:

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Answer this question honestly: would you put your money on a 182hp fuel cell GS that can only be refueled in 60 stations in USA?

nt01

Fan
Reactions
Answer this question honestly: would you put your money on a 182hp fuel cell GS that can only be refueled in 60 stations in USA?
After driving one for a little over two years, my answer to that question is: No, No and No!

Levi

Expert
Reactions
They can stick “FCEV” decals all over it, they won’t fool those that know it could have a V6 hybrid, V6 turbo or V8 with a snap of the fingers and sell at least 100 times what the FCEV sells.