Reviews: The Fifth Generation (XF50) Lexus LS

mikeavelli

Reactions
Remote Touch does have issues in regards to being quick and intuitive. I never have fallen in love with it even though I have clearly figured it out and use it daily. I'm also not a fan of Audi's new MMI which has gotten more complicated to me and something I couldn't really figure out in the R8 compared to the S8 where it was amazing to use. The Q7 has a trackpad too (like the RC F). I do think BMW's iDrive today is very well done as is Mercedes Command.

I also just can't understand why the graphics are so, just old, compared to the Germans. You jump into a Lexus from a new German car and the NAV and graphics seem like ten steps back. They really need to focus on making it more modern.

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions
^ like comparing the aesthetics of Windows 95 with Windows 10 lol...
or iOS 6 with iOS 11

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
Google Maps' default view has been the same since 2005, and that's pretty much the gold standard for usable mapping. I'd prefer my ability to find places not be subject to graphic-design trends.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Google Maps' default view has been the same since 2005, and that's pretty much the gold standard for usable mapping. I'd prefer my ability to find places not be subject to graphic-design trends.

yeah, basic view is the most usable one - like google maps is almost unusable with sat view, but for instance Waze also from google, is very usable.

However they should still offer nice graphics regardless of that.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
Driving the All-New 2018 Lexus LS 500

17-10-05-lexus-ls-splash.jpg

Personal impressions on the new Lexus flagship.
View the original article post

Last edited:

GuoxJason

Fan
Reactions
My problem with the V6 and the turbochargers is that every time (when comparing another vehicle’s new 6-cylinder engine to its old, naturally-aspirated V8 engine),...
Someone says: "There is no lag."
I: "Yes, there is."
One says: "It is nearly undetectable."
I: "Yes, it is." (It is all relative when compared to the overall power of the engine, and that initial moment of hesitance just does not feel right. Even using the onboard computer to artificially create a flat torque curve does not solve the problem.)
One says: “It is more powerful and uses less fuel.”
I: “That is because it is newer, and more fuel is still needed to mix with the additional oxygen forced into the engine.” (I would prefer cylinder deactivation.)

Maybe Lexus actually did something magical to a smaller and turbocharged engine, but I am doubtful because I have heard that before from everyone (including Lexus).

A turbocharged V6 is noisy when a naturally-aspirated V8 is not. It is muffled when a naturally-aspirated V8 is not. Essentially, it does not have the characteristics that make people lust after a naturally-aspirated V8.

Then again, I tend to hear and feel more than the average buyer. Heck, I am one of the few who thinks the IS, GS, outgoing LS, and RX are too sporty (that is euphemism for "the ride is a bit rough"). I understand that Lexus needs to make what sells to exist as a company, but I wish Lexus would create its own version of the new Toyota Century [and an amazing, thoroughly-redesigned LX on a body-on-frame chassis)!

I am glad that you enjoyed the RWD car. AWD obsession is like the obsession over smaller engines with turbochargers. Everything looks great on paper, but in the real world, nothing beats RWD with a naturally-aspirated V8, V10, V12, etc.

Last edited:

Black Dynamite

Follower
Reactions
We've all been telling you this for months - @Carmaker1 and others have laid out the design timelines and production decisions in previous threads.

My point is I'm not buying it. Goes against everything they've done over 30 years, particularly over the last 4-5 redesigns.

He said one thing, before the redesign, and Lexus did something else. The LSF with 800HP is easy to forecast, so I knew that 2 years ago. He never said, before the redesign, Lexus would make half the concept now, use the LS as a placeholder, then complete the promise later with a better model, which wouldn't make sense anyway. And there is no good reason for Lexus to do things that way, all of the sudden.

Especially with the LS, they wouldn't be that scatterbrained about a design direction. I guess there is only one way to find out who is right....
BD

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
I am glad that you enjoyed the RWD car. AWD obsession is like the obsession over smaller engines with turbochargers. Everything looks great on paper, but in the real world, nothing beats RWD with a naturally-aspirated V8, V10, V12, etc.

I strongly prefer the AWD version of the outgoing LS, and not just by a little bit (basically: it's too heavy to do anything fun with in RWD form, so the AWD version is way more fun/less stress on twisty roads). I'm looking forward to sampling the 5LS in various forms.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
thanks @krew for the article, really nice... i wonder hows safety tech compared to competition from real life experience, as well as old safety sense?

RichieRich

Founding Member
Reactions
I also just can't understand why the graphics are so, just old, compared to the Germans. You jump into a Lexus from a new German car and the NAV and graphics seem like ten steps back. They really need to focus on making it more modern.
Now This I agree with. There is reason to complain about the graphics. I'm not understanding at this day and age, why they still look like they did 8 years ago.

corradoMR2

Founding Member
Reactions
Great writeup Kevin. Love the caged animal analogy.

I want a V8 in a sports/GT car (LC) because I value an exhilarating engine/exhaust note, but a large luxury sedan (LS) my #1 priority is NVH/power/response. If this new TTV6/10-speed is indeed better than the prior V8/8-speed as many have written up, then it's a win for me. What Lexus did here with the LC and LS is truly brilliant.

Agree with the pricing strategy as it surely is intended to mitigate the new value-driven competition (Genesis) and the general downward spiral for sales in sedans. What is interesting to note is the LS undercuts the LC by $17K USD in the US, whereas in Canada today's LS starts already at 95K, expected to go close up to the LC currently at 102K.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
thanks @krew for the article, really nice... i wonder hows safety tech compared to competition from real life experience, as well as old safety sense?

I can only really compare it to the Safety System + in my IS 300, and I would say the tech in the LS is much more confident. It was a bit disorienting at first for the car to have such a strong opinion on when to brake, but I'm sure it's something that would become second nature in short order.

Also, the Lane Trace Assist along with the Dynamic Radar Cruise is about as close to autonomy as I feel comfortable with at this time. I think Lexus made the smart play not overplaying their hand with this self-driving business.

According to Lexus executives (and I don't know if this 100% true) consumers don't really want autonomous cars. I would think the only people interested in the tech are the same people buying Teslas.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
I can only really compare it to the Safety System + in my IS 300, and I would say the tech in the LS is much more confident. It was a bit disorienting at first for the car to have such a strong opinion on when to brake, but I'm sure it's something that would become second nature in short order.

Also, the Lane Trace Assist along with the Dynamic Radar Cruise is about as close to autonomy as I feel comfortable with at this time. I think Lexus made the smart play not overplaying their hand with this self-driving business.

According to Lexus executives (and I don't know if this 100% true) consumers don't really want autonomous cars. I would think the only people interested in the tech are the same people buying Teslas.

Indeed, it is basically same with EVs, where "unwanted" Prius Prime gets #1 on global sales list of all plugins, despite being looked down upon by all the press and ethusiasts as having too little range, and Toyota publicly saying that EVs are not the solution, yet... and then we have it #1 globally in short order, despite not starting sales in Europe yet!

I have various friends with BMW and MB radar cruise controls and nobody turns them... ever. So I am not sure that people who dont turn radar cruise control on, would ever turn on some kind of autonomous drive.

But public perception is as it is and who knows.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
I have various friends with BMW and MB radar cruise controls and nobody turns them... ever. So I am not sure that people who dont turn radar cruise control on, would ever turn on some kind of autonomous drive.

Radar cruise can be very jarring -- the system in my IS is great, and the LS is even better. LS actually feels natural the way it applies the brakes.