Reviews: The Fifth Generation (XF50) Lexus LS

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
I like them showing the schematics of the V35A engine. OK I still hate the 3.5 V6 decision, but that engine is a wonder. The packaging is so compact there's no problem it can appear in the ES, RX, or even smaller vehicles like the NX. The only engine that matches its compactness is Mercedes' counterpart. They mounted the intercoolers on top which helps packaging a lot, it also means this engine is definitely designed with transverse mounts in mind, ES-F/RX-F confirmed?
The fact that the 500h is only 65 kg heavier than the 500 is also encouraging. Finally we can have performance hybrids that are not compromised by the added weight. I would go one step further and say the improved weight balance will mostly counteract the weight increase when it comes to driving feel.

indeed... complexity of twin turbos adds weight too... while hybrids are getting lighter.

Another thing is that they now have 59hp from battery power. Thats 18hp more than before, or 43%!

So in cars like RX and GS, and maybe future IS300h?, quite possibly there will be quite a bit more oomph from "electric" turbo.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
People who hate Remote Touch should be sentenced to using the floating joy-mouse thing that preceded it (and which I still deal with daily). The trackpad's a million times better than that.

Last edited:

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
How about this -- a full review of the LS from lifestyle outlet Gear Patrol and not a single mention of Remote Touch:

I like this review! It's much more of a "here's what the LS is like, and what it'll do for you" type of thing than the standard recitation of specs sheet numbers.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
How about this -- a full review of the LS from lifestyle outlet Gear Patrol and not a single mention of Remote Touch:

https://gearpatrol.com/2017/09/28/review-lexus-ls-ls500-500h-luxury-car/

I'm not defending the tech, but I feel like automotive mags are using Remote Touch as a crutch, as a way to criticize Lexus.

i can see them not liking it though, and since rest of the car is so good, it is something to point out... Autoblog went overboard with it and especially with safety tech comments which are just ridiculous.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Most of these guys in the industry don't drive a Toyota or Lexus. They mostly have used cars :D, and lucky that they don't have to do a boring A to B commute that they are relegated to driving a Corolla or other mundane vehicle.

As I've gotten older and things around here continue to change I find most in this market give 2 shits about reviews. They just want what they want and its usually badge, prestige, looks, power, ride & handling, interior, features etc that. What I do find is they are much more apt to take the opinion of someone they respect, know or someone with similar car(s). That badge though... its powerful and all some care about. Many can't see themselves in a Lexus (or any other non German brand) no matter what.

Getting to the LS, I think its going to capture a market of people who want to stand out from the crowd and having a V-8 isn't a necessity. They care about the exterior, the interior, features and the lower price coupled with the usual Lexus quality/service is a winner. Contrarily they are going to lose a bunch of owners and prospective buyers that want something much more plain and they can choose from quite a few options.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
The target demographics who buy luxury vehicles are too busy to read reviews on the Internet. Same story that the rich can't care less about how quickly a car laps Nurburgring and buy "overpriced" Ferraris instead of "super value" GT-Rs that the Internet loves.

They will keep buying what they were buying before though, which is not a great thing for Lexus.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
As an update on my personal impressions of the new LS, I'll be holding off publishing until Tuesday.

Reactions
People who hate Remote Touch should be sentenced to using the floating joy-mouse thing that preceded it (and which I still deal with daily). The trackpad's a million times better than that.
I'm used to the mouse thingy, I don't mind. My dad's newer ES has the same mouse thingy as the RX we have, so no huge learning curve to deal with.

Joe

Premium Member
Reactions

In my opinion, it is a bit more complicated.
I wonder, quite honestly.. why did the designers decide to move from the mouse remote touch to the touchpad? Is it to be more modern, like swapping the trackball designer computer mouse for a touchpad on your laptop?
The weird thing is: the mouse system was heavily criticized by car media, but now they've put an even more criticizable system in it. So commercially perhaps not the best decision. It surely is more modern to look at and it does work more or less like the mousepad of your portable PC if you're not actually driving the car. But as soon as you're in first gear, just try to put in a destination address for the first time... even as a passenger. Not easy. It could even be dangerous for the driver if he's not used to the system. So if you use it for the first time as a driver, perhaps it sucks.
But I suppose that not many of these will end up in a short term rental for people who never drive a Lexus...

The other side of the story then...: this is one hell of a nice peace of engineered work! The surface of the touchpad is seriously nice to touch, the haptic feedback (which - by the way - can be adapted to everyone's taste) is very well done, the idea of having the manipulation of the system horizontally and the visual experience right where it belongs is perfect...
(And I always read some bizarre comments concerning so called dated graphics on the screen... it's merely just a question of taste).
If you've learned how to use it, it's really not bad at all. On the contrary, I like it, a lot.

But let's be honest, it can still be improved.
As a Lexus insider, I am used to 3 systems,: the rotary/push dial button, the mouse RTI and the touchpad and I can assure you: they all work very well, but it's like with every Lexus model I've known so far: it has to grow on you :cool:

Unfortunately, most car journalists don't drive the car long enough to appreciate it to the full. So to make a positive comment on the system, they need a car where every command button is like a mainstream Mercedes' or BMW's system.
And, in the case of the new LS, they really have to look very closely to find a negative point to write about.

If the one single negative aspect in their opinion is the touchpad, then I am a happy man ;)

Reactions

https://gearpatrol.com/2017/09/28/review-lexus-ls-ls500-500h-luxury-car/

I'm not defending the tech, but I feel like automotive mags are using Remote Touch as a crutch, as a way to criticize Lexus.
I agree with your Remote Touch comment. It was clear to me that they hadn’t taken the time to learn or understand it. Instead of showing all the whiz bang things, they should show ways to do things simply that used to be performed by knobs/buttons. Seat heating & cooling stands out.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
I agree with your Remote Touch comment. It was clear to me that they hadn’t taken the time to learn or understand it. Instead of showing all the whiz bang things, they should show ways to do things simply that used to be performed by knobs/buttons. Seat heating & cooling stands out.

Its case of damned if you do, damned if you dont... idrive was criticized for first 4-5 years until everyone got used to it. Lexus touch screen was "from/similar/like Toyota" at those times.

Or... "too many buttons" in RX, where you have button backup for everything... they like it clean! But if you dont have 50 buttons then it is too hard to use?!

I would assume that heated/cooled seats get activated automatically in LS by climate concierge, so all you have to do manually is set desired temp.

Reactions: Joe

Joe

Premium Member
Reactions
I would assume that heated/cooled seats get activated automatically in LS by climate concierge, so all you have to do manually is set desired temp.

Ideed! Climate concierge is the trick. Perfect system :thumbsup: Even the simplified version in RX and GS is working well.

Reactions
My ignorance is showing. Our beautiful ‘06 GS obviously doesn’t have the Climate Concierge so after reading up on that feature I’m sold. Since it’s been around for a number of years I guess the reviewers didn’t see the need to bring it up. As mentioned in previous posts, some of the reviewers just needed something to bash.