Reviews: The 2019 Lexus ES 350 & ES 300h

Berto3818

Follower
Reactions
Everyone.. ok give it AWD, more power and fix the infotainment. I don't understand what the problem is. I was just in a LS and I can use it fine.. Learn how to use a computer.. not everything is simple, but fact is they pick out too much BS. The ES right now in my opinion is the benchmark in this class. period...

Berto3818

Follower
Reactions
Everyone again.. if i could direct everyone to the 5LS article that @krew just put out.. They said grand things about the LS and then said it can't run with the S-class.. That is some BS also. I would take a LS over the S-class or 7 series any day... not even close. The 5LS is better than both of them... its like all these articles that come out, they always have BS to rein Lexus back in. I'm tired of it. It's BS

flexus

Admirer
Reactions
I didn't know where to post this but since ES is mentioned here it is. I'm quite surprised that Lexus ranked 3 vehicles on the list.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
I'm not too surprised. Hybrids are kind of TMC's thing - they've done them longer than anyone else, and they're the only ones doing halfway innovative stuff like the LC's 4AT with them.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
Carwow Review: The Lexus ES 300h

19-03-19-lexus-es-review-carwow.jpg

Fun review of the hybrid sedan.
View the original article post

Berto3818

Follower
Reactions
@anyone.. How is this review any good? He was busting on the materials, the head space in the rear, the boot as he so calls it.. to me it was rebuke of the ES300H but it did it in a funny way... when it isn't funny... The interior in this car is better than any other car in it's class and also we all know why the trunk space is bad .. its because of the electric motors in the back.. head space is limited in the rear because the roof is racked and slooped like in the 5LS which prompted me not to get the pano roof because you lost a considerable amount of head room and i didn't think $1000 justified that. yeah he highlighted on a lot of good things but things that we all know people keeps hammering them.. like the infotainment... omg.. really??!!!!!!!!!!!! lexus isn't going to change it until they are damn good and ready so everyone who reviews their cars needs to really realize that..

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
@anyone.. How is this review any good? He was busting on the materials, the head space in the rear, the boot as he so calls it.. to me it was rebuke of the ES300H but it did it in a funny way... when it isn't funny... The interior in this car is better than any other car in it's class and also we all know why the trunk space is bad .. its because of the electric motors in the back.. head space is limited in the rear because the roof is racked and slooped like in the 5LS which prompted me not to get the pano roof because you lost a considerable amount of head room and i didn't think $1000 justified that. yeah he highlighted on a lot of good things but things that we all know people keeps hammering them.. like the infotainment... omg.. really??!!!!!!!!!!!! lexus isn't going to change it until they are damn good and ready so everyone who reviews their cars needs to really realize that..

It reads like you vented your frustrations and then answered all of your own questions... so... I guess all is clear?

Automotive media doesn't necessarily have to "realize" anything with regard to Lexus' infotainment aside from the fact that it is subpar. Just because Lexus builds it that way doesn't mean it's not annoying and overly complicated to use compared to MMI, IDrive, COMAND, etc.

Berto3818

Follower
Reactions
@Gecko I know all the issues sir so it it easy for me to point this out. My whole point is why are the individuals who keeps reviewing the cars pointing this stuff out? it makes no sense to time after time to ding the infotainment. it makes no sense to ding time after time the rear head room.. thats the design of the car.. We know it and so do they.. I'm not venting at all. I'm just pointing out that so of this stuff is really starting to become unfair. As a lexus enthusiasts i believe it is our job to call this out. Gotta protect the name you know?

@Gecko so you probably know better than me. When will they totally redo the infotainment then?

Last edited by a moderator:

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
I still maintain that the vaunted German systems are just as bad, it's just people have been trained by the media to think they're acceptable. This is why everyone regardless of brand wants CarPlay/Android Auto, because those two kneecap the OEM infotainment and move it out of your way.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
@Gecko I know all the issues sir so it it easy for me to point this out. My whole point is why are the individuals who keeps reviewing the cars pointing this stuff out? it makes no sense to time after time to ding the infotainment. it makes no sense to ding time after time the rear head room.. thats the design of the car.. We know it and so do they.. I'm not venting at all.

The reason reviewers continue to call out the infotainment system is because they don't like it, and it's their job to point it out. While you or I might not find it frustrating, the backlash against Remote Touch is valid and widespread. Also, every review has to be treated as a clean page, Carwow or Motor Trend are speaking to people interested in buying a new car, not to brand enthusiasts.

@GeckoAs a lexus enthusiasts i believe it is our job to call this out. Gotta protect the name you know?

While I write about Lexus every day, I don't believe in blindly following any brand. If there's an issue with a product, it deserves to be pointed out. I'm an enthusiast, not a fanatic. :D

I still maintain that the vaunted German systems are just as bad, it's just people have been trained by the media to think they're acceptable. This is why everyone regardless of brand wants CarPlay/Android Auto, because those two kneecap the OEM infotainment and move it out of your way.

I also think reviewers like to balance the good with the bad, and frankly Remote Touch is an easy target.

Sadman

Fan
Reactions
I was at the Lexus dealership yesterday and checked out the car, it was an F Sport model.

Looking inside the trunk I was shocked to see a bare uncovered metal frame at the top, along with the housing for the rear speakers.

I can 100% confirm that my ex IS 300h, cheaper and a segment smaller, had that part covered (unlike basically every other direct opponent).

I’m not ok with the shortcuts Lexus has taken lately in order to save money (ie. the all hard plastic rear door panels of the UX - a car that can cost up to 50.000€ which is very close to the IS) and I really hope it’s a temporary thing...even though I know it isn’t.

Toyota increase its quality and Lexus goes down (a little). It’s sad.

RAL

Reactions
Yep, I was surprised to see exposed metal works and rear speaker in the trunk. Lexus shouldn't assume we're not going to notice just because this is not visible from a standing position facing an open trunk! And disappointing are the easily scratched hard plastics throughout the interior. The 5ES models I owned had little to no hard plastics where I am finding them in recent ES models. That is hard plastic surrounding the 12.3 inch display on the upper dash! I am hoping I really didn't hear a plastic on plastic squeak coming from that area yesterday after the car sat in the sunlight while I was having lunch!

And as long as I am complaining, I think it is inexcusable that the rear turn signals are not LED! Beautiful 3-D tail lights mixed with cheap dim turn signals! This is true even with the premium triple beam headlight option. Lexus has a way of cutting cheap corners to leave room for upgrades on the refresh. Case in point: our '15 NX had ambient rear turn signals, and though the headlights were LED, the high beams were not. Our refreshed '19 NX has all LED. I can understand such practices in Toyota, but Lexus shouldn't cut these little cost saving corners! We do notice!

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
I was at the Lexus dealership yesterday and checked out the car, it was an F Sport model.

Looking inside the trunk I was shocked to see a bare uncovered metal frame at the top, along with the housing for the rear speakers.

I can 100% confirm that my ex IS 300h, cheaper and a segment smaller, had that part covered (unlike basically every other direct opponent).

I’m not ok with the shortcuts Lexus has taken lately in order to save money (ie. the all hard plastic rear door panels of the UX - a car that can cost up to 50.000€ which is very close to the IS) and I really hope it’s a temporary thing...even though I know it isn’t.

Toyota increase its quality and Lexus goes down (a little). It’s sad.

hm, i am pretty sure 5ES has a lot better overall interior quality than IS300h which was down on previous gen.

Now sure, you can find some pieces that you like better before, but overall it is a much, much...much better than old ES.

As to the top of the trunk, both G30 and W213 have exposed metal in the trunk top, and most of german cars do too these days, so I dont see german media mentioning that part anymore.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
And as long as I am complaining, I think it is inexcusable that the rear turn signals are not LED! Beautiful 3-D tail lights mixed with cheap dim turn signals! This is true even with the premium triple beam headlight option. Lexus has a way of cutting cheap corners to leave room for upgrades on the refresh. Case in point: our '15 NX had ambient rear turn signals, and though the headlights were LED, the high beams were non-LED. Our refreshed '19 NX has all LED. I can understand such practices in Toyota, but Lexus shouldn't cut these little cost saving corners! We do notice!

ES does have all LEDs in some markets on Luxury models. For US they try to keep the price lower by missing some options, in general that has worked really well for them.

back in 2014, very few cars had all LEDs though... Generally Lexus does well with LEDs these days, most germans/competition have halogens standard.

RAL

Reactions
ES does have all LEDs in some markets on Luxury models. For US they try to keep the price lower by missing some options, in general that has worked really well for them.

back in 2014, very few cars had all LEDs though... Generally Lexus does well with LEDs these days, most germans/competition have halogens standard.
With all due respect, I don't see this as a question of options. The areas I am mentioning mostly concern where Lexus has lowered the bar. When I invest in a $50.000+ vehicle I am not expecting the bar to be lowered. Regardless, I am with Ian, charge the extra bucks to do it right. How much more could it be? It is a Lexus for goodness sake. I am prepared to pay a premium. It is 2019, not 2014. It should be all LED regardless of what the Europeans do. And there should be no plastic-on-plastic prone to squeaking when the temperature goes up. Overall, I agree with you that it is a much, much better ES by far! All the more reason not to cut corners where they've not been cut before.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
With all due respect, I don't see this as a question of options. The areas I am mentioning mostly concern where Lexus has lowered the bar. When I invest in a $50.000+ vehicle I am not expecting the bar to be lowered. Regardless, I am with Ian, charge the extra bucks to do it right. How much more could it be? It is a Lexus for goodness sake. I am prepared to pay a premium. It is 2019, not 2014. It should be all LED regardless of what the Europeans do. And there should be no plastic-on-plastic prone to squeaking when the temperature goes up. Overall, I agree with you that it is a much, much better ES by far! All the more reason not to cut corners where they've not been cut before.

I mean as a buyer, i also agree with you, however you have to look at what competition does at similar prices, Lexus does not exist in a vacuum.

Only Lexi that dont cut corners are LS/LC, everything else does otherwise they would be 90k cars too.

Lexus USA is famous for not wanting to compete within the lineup and so you get much less features on certain cars than worldwide, but then again, it is also the one that sells the best so obviously it works for them.

For instance both ES Luxury and ES F-Sport Premium in Europe have led blinkers and they are sequential too.

RAL

Reactions
While I respect your tenacity, we will just have to agree to disagree ;)