Reviews & News: The Lexus LC 500

Reactions
LC F should have existed 2019 - 2024, dropping off before the new sports car arrives IMO.
Thoughts - I think Lexus didnt see value in the LC long term in terms of being the brands halo car speak. Their very practical with their offerings ( many think this makes them slow to market also ) . I think the RCF was the performance work horse and when they got the bug after seeing how successful that was in terms of their racing program and wanted to create a dedicated GT from that experience. Current cars as stated are GT to race car , now they want race car to GT. The LCF in terms of that equation I think just didnt make sense with that ethos and has taken the SC430 role I think for the brand V8 looks good great ambiance. Lexus doesn't seem to be able to scale like BMW with just throwing a million models out they really are conservative with what they do and safe to say the LCF just wasnt worth it to them when their plans as we are seeing are much bigger development-wise. Lexus is so particular I remember hearing that it takes so much R&D and agreement to name a car an F car it's truly an interesting careful process that I respect from them. I would imagine Lexus USA being more aggressive than Lexus Japan in terms of wanting to name everything a logo car ( theory ). But I hear you it would've been cool to see. I just think if I was in a board meeting I get why financially and development wise it wouldn't be aligned with the future of performance that they're aiming for in the new generation of F cars. Lexus after having so much success in IMSA I think has the racing bug and im here for it when it comes to their new F product. I cannot wait to see the next generation of F cars before we go full electric.

Last edited:

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Thoughts - I think Lexus didnt see value in the LC long term in terms of halo car speak. I think the RCF was the performance work horse and when they got the bug after seeing how successful that was in terms of their racing program and wanted to create a dedicated GT from that experience. Current cars as stated are GT to race car , now they want race car to GT. The LCF in terms of that equation I think just didnt make sense with that ethos and has taken the SC430 role I think for the brand V8 looks good great ambiance. Lexus doesn't seem to be able to scale like BMW with just throwing a million models out they really are conservative with what they do and safe to say the LCF just wasnt worth it to them when their plans as we are seeing are much bigger. But I hear you it would've been cool to see. I just think if I was in a board meeting I get why financially it wouldn't be aligned with the future of performance that there aiming for in the new generation of F cars.

LC was more to fill the position of halo coupe after the LFA bowing out than trying to capitalize on the RC F's success; remember the LF-LC debuted in 2012 and the RC debuted in 2013, but didn't arrive until late 2014 as a 2015 MY.

Just my .02, but I also don't think many at Lexus see the RC as particularly successful aside from being the starting point for their racing program. It's been a challenging model for Lexus to sell over it's lifecycle, so I don't think Lexus made the case for the LC based on the RC. If they did, it probably wouldn't exist.

Reactions
LC was more to fill the position of halo coupe after the LFA bowing out than trying to capitalize on the RC F's success; remember the LF-LC debuted in 2012 and the RC debuted in 2013, but didn't arrive until late 2014 as a 2015 MY.
I remember data that during its launch but was more talking their investment in an LCF rather and Lexus canning that for a new halo car performance-based chassis is my point. The LCF was a development car we saw it being tested at the ring we saw the 4 exhaust pipe mules. I think Lexus just maybe said ...we can do this..but it's not good enough. Let's ride out the NA V8 chapter and then hit the market with a car that speaks our refined performance language.

Just my .02, but I also don't think many at Lexus see the RC as particularly successful aside from being the starting point for their racing program. It's been a challenging model for Lexus to sell over it's lifecycle, so I don't think Lexus made the case for the LC based on the RC. If they did, it probably wouldn't exist.
Well the statement was their racing program which the platform actually has done well not only in IMSA but Super GT300. I think Lexus side lined the LCF because it simply didnt make sense when after seeing what they were able to create with the RCF in its racing development they wanted a new chassis that would be engineered from the basis of a race car which the RCF and the LC was not designed to be from initial pen to paper. The RC and the LC represent a chapter in Lexus NA V8 history but both are dated offerings compared to what Lexus wants to do with those segments in my opinion. I think they want their next F consumer product to resonate with that ethos. Think about this if Lexus didnt make a RCF Fuji for instance I wouldn't even bought a Lexus car if the LC 500 whats its only offering ( LC is just not my cup of tea with all due respect love it for what it is ) so I think a BMW M4 segment and the 8 series segment option performance wise is important for the brand in my view. When it comes to the LCF I just think it came down Lexus canning it because they wanted a newer halo chassis that came from what they learned from their racing development with the RCF GT3. Lexus has the racing bug and they want a new chassis that speaks to that to represent the brand.

I also think they cannot scale like BMW M Development meaning they can't financially just throw a million F cars out and it not effect them greatly like BMW does with making everything a M car. Lexus's bread and butter is their SUVs and IS/ESs than anything performance-related scale-wise thus I think their just much more reserved. Just a different more calculated direction. What this means is canning the LCF gave them much more freedom R&D wise to develop a newer chassis that will arguable be a leap in performance from the current generation of F cars and current Lexus GTs.

One can only hope that the new GT3 car thats going around will lead to a new lower performance variant that will trickle down to something that will replace the current RCF , LC segment. ( or the ongoing rumor of collapsing them both with a new title with a modified LC chassis who truly knows )

Canning the LCF made way financially I think for a new chassis development that will be better representation of the brands new F ethos as a halo car is my take. I think the LC would sell well being the SC430 of the brand until they dropped a newer halo car and then side line the LC either discontinuing it with the RC and move forward with the newer/upgraded chassis offerings.

I now doubt that the RC/LC names will exist in 2025 in a Lexus showroom from everything im seeing. But to that same token excited to see what's next for the F brand before we all go electric.

Of course, this is a coffee chat opinion lol ( pass the creamer ) Cheers!

Last edited:

mikeavelli

Reactions
Another FU to covid but remember the prototype was being raced at the nurburgring. Covid helped get the thing canned 😫. If I remember right the race was canceled right before its date. The LC raced the year before.

It also won a class win in its debut

The issue with the RC F and worse for the LC has always been weight. LC sharing with LS doesn’t help shed weight.

1697474079887.jpeg

Reactions
Another FU to covid but remember the prototype was being raced at the nurburgring. Covid helped get the thing canned 😫. If I remember right the race was canceled right before its date. The LC raced the year before.

It also won a class win in its debut

The issue with the RC F and worse for the LC has always been weight. LC sharing with LS doesn’t help shed weight.

View attachment 8257
Agreed ....oh I remember that didnt they had alot of issues with that car impact to mechanical issues and but finished the race then that was it pretty much it. I do love the fact that they test things up the wazoo gotta love the time they take on things. Thats why I think this is the last generation of these NA V8 platforms and these chassis. I mean im sure you got a sneak peak stop fronting man lol jk . But 2025 I think we will be seeing a post from Mike like " 2025 this is Mike introducing the NEW NEW NEW Lol"

Last edited:

Motor

Expert
Reactions

Calty played a significant contribution toward reinvigorating the Lexus brand identity in the 2010s with the 2012 Lexus LF-LC Concept, which ultimately became the Lexus LC 500. Then, 2014 brought the rebirth of the iconic sports car, the Supra, through the FT-1 Concept.

1697643305759.jpeg

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
0001663536000003.jpg
0001663536000006.jpg
0001663536000001.jpg

Gor134

Admirer
Reactions
unknown-1.png

Just a reminder of what we could've had 💔 Surprised they canned the updated taillights too. Wish we saw more spy shots of this final bodywork.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
The “problem” is the LFA II or what name they give the car, won’t look as good.

sl0519

Follower
Reactions
Will1991 posted similar patent pictures last year including GR-style wheels (https://lexusenthusiast.com/forums/threads/the-lexus-lc-f-megathread.3066/post-75287). I have looked at the pictures and though they are similar to the 2022 Nurburgring racecar, they appear to be for a road car application. Is there any additional information on this, is it possible that a higher performance model will appear later?

You wish. They are milking those transverse platform SUVs to death.
Why should they bother?