Purchase Advice? 2017 Highlander Limited AWD vs. 2017 4Runner Limited 4x4

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
As my Rav4 has now crossed 60k miles, I’ve been planning to get a new car in early 2017 and eagerly watching the refreshed 2017 Highlander as well as waiting to see if Toyota would make any changes to the 2017 4Runner.

While Toyota has yet to make the formal announcement for the refreshed Highlander, we now know the 4Runner is a carryover with no major equipment or feature changes, and it looks like it will be the last production year for the 5th gen, stretching production until November 2017.

The Highlander should use the same version of the 2GR-FKS as the Sienna, with 296hp and 263lb-ft of torque, an 8AT and stop-start tech. This is in combination with a minor exterior update and the Toyota Safety Sense - P package.

I’ve owned a few 4Runners before and was wanting to hold out for one, but it’s hard to ignore the technology and performance edge that the Highlander has. If I was to buy a 4Runner, I could do so and happily keep it 10+ years which I just don’t see myself doing with a Highlander. As such, I think about buying a 2017 Highlander, keeping it 3-4 years and maybe switching to a 4Runner at the 6th gen 4Runner refresh. I sat down and thought about it, and it netted out like this:

2017 Highlander Limited AWD

Pros: 4-5 better MPG, 8AT, 26 more horsepower, Toyota Safety Sense – P package (BSM with RCTA, LDA, PCS with pedestrian detection, auto high beams), more nimble in city traffic, LED exterior lighting, safer crash test scores, second row captains chairs, 8” infotainment screen, considerably faster on-road

Cons: Mom image, can’t get it without a third row, 15 less lb-ft torque, 12-speaker JBL system isn’t quite as good as 4Runner’s, less usable cargo area because of third row

2017 4Runner Limited 4X4

Pros:
BOF/Off road image, can get two rows only, it’s the one I’d want if the world ends, 15-speaker JBL system is a little better IMO, more usable cargo area

Cons: 4-5 MPG worse, outdated 5AT, 26 less horsepower, 15 more lb-ft torue, no TSS-P nor any common safety tech features, halogen lighting, less forgiving to drive in city traffic, less safe crash test scores, 6.1” infotainment screen, considerably slower

Disclaimers: I have no kids and two dogs. I live and commute in the city. I only ever go into minor off road situations and don't think the 4Runner's off road advantage would make much difference in my life. Resale is actually about even between the two, surprisingly.

Curious to hear the thoughts and opinions of others. Have I missed or not considered anything?

Thanks in advance :)

Last edited:

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Didn't you just get a new 2016 Highlander about a month ago?..............or was that for your parents rather then you?

https://lexusenthusiast.com/forums/threads/new-addition-2016-highlander-limited-awd.2536/

Addressing your present question, though, if this is strictly a vehicle for you (and a wife?), my own opinion is that, unless you are going to tow heavy loads, go off-road, or drive in really difficult winter conditions on-road, you would probably be happier in the long with a Highlander....as long as your two dogs can fit in it. Better ride comfort, easier for wife to get in and out of, and probably easier to resell if you do get tired of it.

(As far as dogs go, neighbor of mine, our condo Board President, has a GMC Terrain, which is somewhat smaller and narrower than a Highlander inside, yet regularly carries around two big Labradors without any trouble)

I also wouldn't worry about the so-called "image" issues between the two...You mention the Highlander having a Mom image and the 4Runner a tough, off-road image. To many vehicle buyers, IMO, concern themselves with that. I've always been a firm believer in buying the vehicle that best suits oneself, their family if applicable, and what they can afford.

The only thing about the new 2017 Highlander, though, that would turn me off (no pun intended) is the start/stop system for the engine to save fuel.....I'm generally not a fan of them, and not all of them can be turned off. But, if you don't mind that, then no problem.

Last edited:

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Didn't you just get a new 2016 Highlander about a month ago?..............or was that for your parents rather then you?

https://lexusenthusiast.com/forums/threads/new-addition-2016-highlander-limited-awd.2536/

Addressing your present question, though, if this is strictly a vehicle for you (and a wife?), my own opinion is that, unless you are going to tow heavy loads, go off-road, or drive in really difficult winter conditions on-road, you would probably be happier in the long with a Highlander....as long as your two dogs can fit in it. Better ride comfort, easier for wife to get in and out of, and probably easier to resell if you do get tired of it.

(As far as dogs go, neighbor of mine, our condo Board President, has a GMC Terrain, which is somewhat smaller and narrower than a Highlander inside, yet regularly carries around two big Labradors without any trouble)

I also wouldn't worry about the so-called "image" issues between the two...You mention the Highlander having a Mom image and the 4Runner a tough, off-road image. To many vehicle buyers, IMO, concern themselves with that. I've always been a firm believer in buying the vehicle that best suits oneself, their family if applicable, and what they can afford.

The only thing about the new 2017 Highlander, though, that would turn me off (no pun intended) is the start/stop system for the engine to save fuel.....I'm generally not a fan of them, and not all of them can be turned off. But, if you don't mind that, then no problem.

That was for my parents... And I'm a little jealous. Every time I get to drive the Highlander, I just love it.

No wife, and my dogs are both under 35 lbs. My biggest issue - no pun intended - is that I'm just really too big/broad for the RAV4. My shoulders extend out much wider than the seats even go, and while comfortable, it's just a snug fit. I'm excited to get into something wider, longer and more comfortable.

A V6 will be very nice as well. I miss the extra gusto!

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
4Runner, hands down!

I think my single biggest hangup with the 4Runner is the lack of BSM. If it had blind spot monitor, I wouldn't even be asking for feedback and the order would probably be placed.

My car now has BSM and to go into one that doesn't have it feels like you've had your arms cut off.

We have a 2016 4x2 4Runner limited in the family - Blizzard Pearl like yours, actually - and its averaged 17.3mpg over about 14k miles.

The '16 Highlander AWD is already at 20 combined and still going through break in at only 2,200 miles.

It's such a hard call all the way around...

Brooks2IS

Premium Member
Reactions
I think my single biggest hangup with the 4Runner is the lack of BSM. If it had blind spot monitor, I wouldn't even be asking for feedback and the order would probably be placed.

My car now has BSM and to go into one that doesn't have it feels like you've had your arms cut off.

We have a 2016 4x2 4Runner limited in the family - Blizzard Pearl like yours, actually - and its averaged 17.3mpg over about 14k miles.

The '16 Highlander AWD is already at 20 combined and still going through break in at only 2,200 miles.

It's such a hard call all the way around...
Though this won't impact your decision, our 4Runner averages just shy of 20 (19.6) overall, but with zero city driving involved.

Best of luck-- I don't think you can go wrong either way. I've always been a proponent of buying a car that you envision keeping for a very long time; unfortunately it seems that your ideal car is not yet in production.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Though this won't impact your decision, our 4Runner averages just shy of 20 (19.6) overall, but with zero city driving involved.

Best of luck-- I don't think you can go wrong either way. I've always been a proponent of buying a car that you envision keeping for a very long time; unfortunately it seems that your ideal car is not yet in production.

Less than 20 MPG in a 4x2 with 100% highway driving makes me sure I'd be seeing around 15mpg in a 4x4 with probably 70% city/30% highway. A lot of what I drive is 35-55mpg in stop and go stretches. Not exactly the strong suit for a BOF SUV with a decade old engine and a 5AT.

Gas is cheap now so it's not a huge deal breaker, but I also don't want to turn a completely blind eye to fuel economy. Tough call.

Appreciate your real world experience!

Reactions
Gas is cheap now so it's not a huge deal breaker, but I also don't want to turn a completely blind eye to fuel economy. Tough call.
Would a pre-owned Prius or other hybrid be a "break glass in case of emergency"? I would think their residuals right now are on the lower side...

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Would a pre-owned Prius or other hybrid be a "break glass in case of emergency"? I would think their residuals right now are on the lower side...

I think I want to stick with N/A V6, though I might be open to a Highlander Hybrid. However, I don't think they're cutting deals on those...

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
I'd go Highlander based on those pros/cons. As I've said here before, I can't stand driving vehicles without the BSM now, and I definitely wouldn't get one as a daily driver. The 8AT, larger screen, and better mileage are all in favor of the Highlander as well.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
I came here for the Canon commercial...just kidding :D.

Yeah it's a tough choice, and honestly comes down to specific factors in your environment. For example, how are your local city roads? Are they very well maintained? Or lots of potholes? Do you have a lot of undulating roads? A lot of hilly roads, or mostly flat roads? If you're doing city driving, then a 4WD Highlander will handle pretty much any weather conditions. However, if it's a case where your local city roads are full of potholes, undulating roads, and/or lots of hilly roads, I think personally the 4Runner is a better choice, but that's just me. In those specific cases, the 4Runner would take the punishment of such roads better so to speak.

Just on a related note, bad roads or pothole-ridden roads can drastically reduce the life of some suspension components such as struts, strut mounts, and various links and bushings. This is especially true if you live in an area that gets cold winters with ice and snow. I have first-hand experience with this. So in such specific situations, the 4Runner would simply hold up better on such roads than the Highlander. Again, if your local roads though are in great condition, and you don't navigate a ton of hills where torque is key, the Highlander might be the better option.

Also factors like, how important is having only two rows of seats, etc come into play.

This probably won't be much help, but if I had to personally choose, I'd choose a 4Runner between the two. However that's simply due to specific factors where I live. Ideally I would choose neither one, as both are simply a bit too slow for me.

Reactions
The Highlander is practically owning a Camry on stilts, while the 4Runner is what I reckoned to be an "enthusiast's" choice when going off road.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
The Highlander is practically owning a Camry on stilts, while the 4Runner is what I reckoned to be an "enthusiast's" choice when going off road.

True, and personally, I don't have any problem owning a Camry of any variety. I think the HL is a good looking rig, ~300hp, 8AT, AWD, TSS-P... I really like the overall package.

I just wish the 4Runner offered more in terms of technology or powertrain advancement. Toyota has done exactly zero in these areas over 7 years now. Adding a 6AT at the refresh in 2014, or BSM/RCTA, would have been really nice additions.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
honestly i keep thinking which of the both will be better
the Highlander not only in it's last year fro this generation but also the next Highlander will be on the mighty TNGA chassis which a lot of people whom test drive the new Pri either the regular or the Plug-in confirmed the handling is a magnificent positive change of the previous generation
on the other hand the 4Runner and it's brothers (GX / Prado) future will be clear on the next year and not before even the mid of the next year

so my advice is keep your Rav-4 with you and take the first next generation appear from your both trucks
if the next Highlander appears first so take it , and if the next 4Runner appears first so take it

but it's not wise to buy something that it will be dropped in it's price within a year or 2 maximum due to it's new generation
add to this in case of the Highlander specifically the new chassis and engines

oem_is300

Founding Member
Reactions
Sounds like the Highlander fits your needs better, although I do love the 4Runner. Seems like people have done a 3rd row delete on them though, which would give you more cargo space with the Highlander:

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/3...85-2014-highlander-3rd-row-seats-removed.html

I just wish the 4Runner offered more in terms of technology or powertrain advancement. Toyota has done exactly zero in these areas over 7 years now. Adding a 6AT at the refresh in 2014, or BSM/RCTA, would have been really nice additions.

This. I was hoping for a 6AT with the update too. Don't know why they didn't go with it on the refresh.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
honestly i keep thinking which of the both will be better
the Highlander not only in it's last year fro this generation but also the next Highlander will be on the mighty TNGA chassis which a lot of people whom test drive the new Pri either the regular or the Plug-in confirmed the handling is a magnificent positive change of the previous generation
on the other hand the 4Runner and it's brothers (GX / Prado) future will be clear on the next year and not before even the mid of the next year

so my advice is keep your Rav-4 with you and take the first next generation appear from your both trucks
if the next Highlander appears first so take it , and if the next 4Runner appears first so take it

but it's not wise to buy something that it will be dropped in it's price within a year or 2 maximum due to it's new generation
add to this in case of the Highlander specifically the new chassis and engines

Thanks for your input. The Highlander is not in it's last year for this generation, it is just now entering its refresh so it probably has another 2-3 years before a full redesign.

Thus far, I have not been exactly wowed by TNGA but the only execution we have is the Prius, as nobody has driven C-HR yet. I don't doubt that the TNGA vehicles will be an advancement over the existing lineup, but I'm also not sure that it will be enough of a change to wait 3+ years. I also dislike buying a first year vehicle. I also really like how the Highlander drives in it's current form, so waiting for TNGA wouldn't bother me. It's also highly likely that the next Highlander, and all of the Toyota vehicles over the next 5+ years will use the same 2GR-FKS/8AT that Toyota is about to deploy in the 2017 Highlander.

Toyota released some literature with the 2017 Highlander refresh stating that the new 2GR-FKS would be placed as low in the engine bay as possible to lower the center of gravity and improve driving dynamics. Whether or not that really makes any difference or is even possible in an existing chassis, I don't know.

Late last week, Toyota released info for the 2017 4Runner and there are absolutely no changes, as expected. Earlier this year when Toyota made their safety announcement, they noted that not the 4Runner nor GX would have the TSS-P/Lexus Safety Sense anything before Jan 1, 2018. Many people, myself included, expect this to mean that the 6th generation 4Runner won't be on sale until early 2018. That's about a year later than the 2017 Highlander will be available, and then, it will be a first year model.

Lots to consider...