Purchase Advice? 2017 Highlander Limited AWD vs. 2017 4Runner Limited 4x4

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Despite its fuel-economy advantage (maybe 1 or 2 MPG at the most), I'm generally not a fan of start/stop systems. Manufacturers claim that these systems operate seamlessly, but the only vehicle so far I've tried where that claim seems to be true is on the latest Jeep Grand Cherokee. On most other vehicles, even the new Buick LaCrosse and Cadillac XT5, where GM doesn't even include an on/off switch because they claim that customers won't notice the difference, you can still feel a little kick when the system activates....and the on-again/off-again silence and noise intake getting used to.

Agreed, (and 1 or 2 mpg is not a realistic or actual fuel savings, it's more like some fraction of 1 mpg), every start/stop systems that I've driven is annoying to a sensitive driver like me. I do want a manual override switch at minimum.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Agreed, (and 1 or 2 mpg is not a realistic or actual fuel savings, it's more like some fraction of 1 mpg), every start/stop systems that I've driven is annoying to a sensitive driver like me. I do want a manual override switch at minimum.

The 1-2 MPG is simply what the manufacturers claim for those systems. It may or may not be factual (?) ....depending on the driving conditions and how long one spends stopped and idling in traffic. I have not personally owned one or taken a so-equipped vehicle of this type on a long enough trip to refuel it and actually verify that claim. Like you, though, I tend to be quite tactile-sensitive to what a vehicle is doing, and how it feels in any given driving situation....I developed that over many years of both owning and reviewing many different vehicles. And, yes, like with you, most of those systems, to my seat of the pants, are annoying......the only exception I've (yet) found is the new JGC.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I have a few updates to share with you guys.

I got wild and ordered....

...a 2016 4Runner Limited 4x4. Midnight Black with Redwood interior.

And then it seems like Toyota is winding down 2016 4Runner production and has sent dealers their final allocations for the remainder of November. For some reason, most of the black/redwood 4Runners seem to be built with a bunch of options that I do not want, like the third row and/or running boards.

The dealer is having a hard time pulling the vehicle I want and it's seeming like I may need to pay extra for options I don't want or need just to get a 4Runner in this color combo.

So, today I told them to call me when they had either the 2016 4Runner spec'ed out as above OR a 2017 Limited AWD Highlander in Attitude Black/Saddle. No word back yet, but now that I am in the mindset to buy, I want it to happen quickly.

Anyone want to guess what will show up first? I truly have no idea, and the dealer doesn't seem to either.

Reactions

And then it seems like Toyota is winding down 2016 4Runner production and has sent dealers their final allocations for the remainder of November. For some reason, most of the black/redwood 4Runners seem to be built with a bunch of options that I do not want, like the third row and/or running boards.

The dealer is having a hard time pulling the vehicle I want and it's seeming like I may need to pay extra for options I don't want or need just to get a 4Runner in this color combo.

So, today I told them to call me when they had either the 2016 4Runner spec'ed out as above OR a 2017 Limited AWD Highlander in Attitude Black/Saddle. No word back yet, but now that I am in the mindset to buy, I want it to happen quickly.

Anyone want to guess what will show up first? I truly have no idea, and the dealer doesn't seem to either.
Is Toyota not accepting orders for MY17 4Runners yet, or is it due to the imminent arrival of an all new model that is being speculated? I would think you'd get the Highlander first since the leadtime for a NAP vehicle is much shorter than a JPP (or whatever the term Toyota used for Japanese) build.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Is Toyota not accepting orders for MY17 4Runners yet, or is it due to the imminent arrival of an all new model that is being speculated? I would think you'd get the Highlander first since the leadtime for a NAP vehicle is much shorter than a JPP (or whatever the term Toyota used for Japanese) build.

Nope. No production until January and delivery might not be until end of January or early February. From what I understand, the way that Tahara production works is that it happens in batches or allocations, and they build so many in certain quantities at a time. No real ability to "submit an order" but rather hope that what I'm wanting comes in a future allocation. With 2016 winding down and a wait for 2017s, I think I might be somewhat screwed because the inventory is narrowing quickly.

Hoping to get an idea of whats available and delivery dates for 2017s by the end of this week.

Thank you guys for the kind words and engagement. We'll see how it shapes up.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions

Congratulations on your order.:)

In the meantime, you don't necessarily have to just wait for a phone call. You can do some searching yourself. You can get all nearby dealerships from the Toyota dealer-locator. and most of those dealerships have their new-vehicle-inventory on their websites now. Just click a few times, and see colors, options, drivetrains, trim-levels, price-ranges, etc.....

If you find something reasonable close by that is to your liking (or close to it) you can (maybe) either cancel the order and go buy the one you've found, or let your dealership know where it is, and they can do a dealer-trade.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Congratulations on your order.:)

In the meantime, you don't necessarily have to just wait for a phone call. You can do some searching yourself. You can get all nearby dealerships from the Toyota dealer-locator. and most of those dealerships have their new-vehicle-inventory on their websites now. Just click a few times, and see colors, options, drivetrains, trim-levels, price-ranges, etc.....

If you find something reasonable close by that is to your liking (or close to it) you can (maybe) either cancel the order and go buy the one you've found, or let your dealership know where it is, and they can do a dealer-trade.

Already been trying that, but this color combo is pretty rare so it's very hard to track down!

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Also, not many allocations for 4x4 in the south. The car I'm tracking down is a rare animal!

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Are you buying at an SET dealer? I would run the hell away from it and go to a dealer that is under TMS.

Yes, no real choice here. They're also stripping out all of the add-ons that I don't want, which I'm grateful for. SET can be bad about making you pay for a bunch of crap you don't want or need.

Also, spoke to the dealer last night and it looks like the car should be here the week of Thanksgiving.

I'll keep you guys posted!

Brooks2IS

Premium Member
Reactions
Yes, no real choice here. They're also stripping out all of the add-ons that I don't want, which I'm grateful for. SET can be bad about making you pay for a bunch of crap you don't want or need.

Also, spoke to the dealer last night and it looks like the car should be here the week of Thanksgiving.

I'll keep you guys posted!

I can concur. When shopping for our 2015, we wanted Blizzard Pearl on Redwood with no 4WD and no 3rd row, but eventually settled for the third row just out of availability. I've never understood how SET options and orders cars... its often not even in-line with the rest of the country. (IE the comments section on my YouTube video on the 4Runner consists of nothing but "You're lying, all 4Runners are 4WD!!!!" and the like. I think SET is the only area to get RWD 4Runners.)

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Ok... DAMN these are nice looking:

8a35fc86b951e903af9df2d9e98.jpg

9c34ff35ae42cc09361eab05f1b.jpg