Purchase Advice? 2017 Highlander Limited AWD vs. 2017 4Runner Limited 4x4

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
got you
so what about the base RX or NX f sport ?

I really do not care for the look of the RX, and NX is even smaller than my Rav4 in terms of cabin space. I'd also really like a V6 - it's a must have.

Thought about a CPO GX, but they seem to barely depreciate and I also dislike how the GX looks. The only Lexus SUVs I like visually are the NX and LX. Disqualify the NX because of size and 4cyl only... cannot afford an LX.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
and you don't like the RX ?!
so this leave us with only the Highlander , Sienna or dare to say it Seqouia!

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
and you don't like the RX ?!
so this leave us with only the Highlander , Sienna or dare to say it Seqouia!

Not a fan of the RX's exterior design, though the interior is beautiful. No Sienna or Sequoia for me either!

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
Not a fan of the RX's exterior design, though the interior is beautiful. No Sienna or Sequoia for me either!
i thought you will say you are not fan of its interior not its exterior
frankly speaking as i will be in the car i will be care more about the interior and fit and finish
so anyway
you don't have except the highlander then
i prefer myself its exterior design and height / width / length ratio more than the RX and i think the 2017 facelifted will be even better mechanical wise

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Oh man... my weakness...

nydn-2017-toyota-highlander-limited-platinum-saddle-tan-leather-interior-dashboard.jpg

nydn-2017-toyota-highlander-limited-platinum-saddle-tan-leather-front-seats.jpg

nydn-2017-toyota-highlander-limited-platinum-saddle-tan-leather-rear-seats.jpg

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
i can't blame you
i told you even before i am as you feels this somehow logic and upscale than the RX

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
2017 Highlander details are out:

14433035_10102971758608947_5184636471853918455_n.jpg

14432972_10102971758638887_751284110439527904_n.jpg

Interior Changes:
- 5 total USBs: 3 front, 2 back
- Limited, Limited Platinum: Available saddle leather taken directly from Lexus LS 460 (WOW!)

Engine:
- 2GR-FKS V6: 295hp @ 6,600 RPM, 263 lb-ft @ 4,700 RPM
- D-4S
- VVT-iW
- Exhaust manifold integrated into cylinder head lowers emissions
- 8AT (direct shift)
- Stop/Start standard but option to turn off (must be turned off every ignition cycle)
- Toyota spent a lot of time working on S/S system and tried to make it as seamless as possible

Fuel economy:
- FWD: 21 city/27 highway/23 combined (+2/2/2)
- AWD: 20 city/27 highway/23 combined (+2/3/3)
- Hybrid: 30 city/28 highway/29 combined (+3/0/1)

Just can't justify the price of the 4Runner considering the things above. Highlander it is.

Last edited:
Reactions
2017 Highlander details are out:

Interior Changes:
- 5 total USBs: 3 front, 2 back
- Limited, Limited Platinum: Available saddle leather taken directly from Lexus LS 460 (WOW!)
Those saddle tan seats look identical to the ones on the previous RX....IIRC, the Highlander Limited gets LED lighting too?

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Those saddle tan seats look identical to the ones on the previous RX....IIRC, the Highlander Limited gets LED lighting too?

Unclear right now if it's just DRLs or high/low beams as well, like Rav4 Limited. I'm hoping it's all LED.

Reactions
Unclear right now if it's just DRLs or high/low beams as well, like Rav4 Limited. I'm hoping it's all LED.
For the amount of $ you pay, you ought to get LEDs on the top model at least...IDK, all Corolla have LEDs, while only the top line Camrys get them. Time to get with the times Big T.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Press release and product details are out... halogen lights, but LED DRLs. Annoying, but something that can easily be fixed, at least.

Agree that it's a lame omission @Tragic Bronson !

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions

2017s should be on the lot by December... going to take one for a spin and go from there.

Thinking Black/Saddle, but I have this random thought of wanting white... on black? Just not sure if the Blizzard Pearl is a little too feminine on a Highlander for a 29 year old man lol.

The Black/Saddle would bring back some particularly fond memories, I think :)

1010176_10100928339442337_2143820449_n.jpg

2983_620667375667_7063630_n.jpg

Last edited:

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Thinking Black/Saddle, but I have this random thought of wanting white... on black? Just not sure if the Blizzard Pearl is a little too feminine on a Highlander for a 29 year old man lol.

I'm not quite sure I follow you. :confused:

What's wrong with Pearl White (which is essentially what Blizzard Pearl is)? :confused: Whether one is 9, 29, or 89, male or female, it's a beautiful color and texture if done correctly......and Toyota/Lexus and Audi have some of the best paint jobs in the business. ;)

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I'm not quite sure I follow you. :confused:

What's wrong with Pearl White (which is essentially what Blizzard Pearl is)? :confused: Whether one is 9, 29, or 89, male or female, it's a beautiful color and texture if done correctly......and Toyota/Lexus and Audi have some of the best paint jobs in the business. ;)

Pearl white midsize crossover to me, screams:

vHr3sPU.jpg

Reactions
Start/stop now in effect!

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/10/13/2017-highlander-first-toyota-stop-start/
2017 Highlander will be first NA Toyota to get stop-start
Four engine choices will power up the new SUV.

You wouldn't know it to look at it, but there's something special happening under the hood of the 2017 Toyota Highlander. It's the debut of a relatively simple technology called stop-start, which can shut off the engine when the vehicle isn't moving. Other automakers have been doing this for years - and Toyota's hybrids obviously have it, in a sense – but this a new thing for Toyota. Before we get to that, though, let's set the stage.

There are four engines (or engine variants) used in the various versions of the 2017 Highlander:
  • A 2.7-liter 4-cylinder Dual Overhead Cam (DOHC) Dual VVT-i offering 185 HP at 5,800 rpm and 184 lb.-ft. of torque at 4,200 rpm. This carryover engine will only be used in the gas-powered 4-cylinder LE trim.
  • A 3.5-liter V6 DOHC Atkinson Cycle-capable Dual VVT-iW/VVT-i engine which offers 295 HP at 6,600 rpm and 263 lb.-ft. of torque at 4,700 rpm. This is the engine in the gas-powered LE trim.
  • Another 3.5-liter V6, which is the same as the one above, but adds a stop-start system. This will be standard on the LE Plus, XLE, SE, Limited, and Limited Platinum trim.
  • A 3.5-liter V6 Atkinson cycle engine with Dual VVT-i offering 306 total horsepower. This is the engine used on all hybrid trim levels: Hybrid LE, LE Plus, XLE Hybrid, Limited, Limited Hybrid, and Platinum Hybrid.
In case you were wondering why use an "Atkinson-cycle capable" engine, Toyota's Brian Williams said that while Atkinson-cycle engines are usually used with hybrids, in the new Highlander, the engine gets a fuel-efficiency benefit when used in Atkinson mode, but then shifts to Otto mode for more power when needed. This provides the benefits of quicker warm-up and quieter operation at low speed, along with more power and lower emissions. For more on the differences between the two cycles, read this.

The 2017 Highlander is the first North American Toyota product to get stop-start

The start-stop system is perhaps the most interesting addition to the new Highlander's powertrain. The 2017 Highlander is the first North American Toyota product to get stop-start. Williams said that Toyota expects about 85 percent of all 2017 Highlanders will get it, because internal projections suggest that about eight percent of all Highlanders sold this year will be the LE trim and seven percent will be hybrids. That seven percent, by the way, is up from about three percent for the 2016 Highlanders.

After shutting the engine off, the stop-start system is still able to provide electrical power to an equipped Highlander for two-to-three minutes at a stop light, Williams said. It is turned on by default with every ignition cycle, but customers can turn it off with the push of a button. There are certain conditions in which stop-start won't come on – if the AC is turned on to the maximum or if you're on a grade higher than eight degrees (Toyota didn't want to risk the vacuum brakes failing) – but Williams said that Toyota thinks most customers will just leave it on all the time. Williams said that by making start-stop the default setting, the Highlander gets a one-mile-per-gallon boost on its EPA fuel economy rating.

Looking down the road, Williams said that more Toyota vehicles will get stop-start technology in the future, but he wouldn't divulge which ones other than to say it will probably be the company's larger vehicles – SUVs, CUVs, and trucks – because those are, "the ones that could benefit a little bit more from it." The 2018 Sienna sure seems like a likely target.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Tragic Bronson said:
Start/stop now in effect!

Despite its fuel-economy advantage (maybe 1 or 2 MPG at the most), I'm generally not a fan of start/stop systems. Manufacturers claim that these systems operate seamlessly, but the only vehicle so far I've tried where that claim seems to be true is on the latest Jeep Grand Cherokee. On most other vehicles, even the new Buick LaCrosse and Cadillac XT5, where GM doesn't even include an on/off switch because they claim that customers won't notice the difference, you can still feel a little kick when the system activates....and the on-again/off-again silence and noise intake getting used to.