Officially Official: Lexus RX 350L and RX 450hL Debuts in LA

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
No brainer finally arrives. I'm very very curious to see how this impacts the market, including GX cannibalization.

I agree it's a no-brainer, but, compared to the GX, it's still apples and oranges. The GX's truck-based frame can do more heavy work (such as towing boats) than the crossover RX. But, of course, the SUV market has clearly been shifting in the direction of crossovers for some years now.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
My expectation is about a 3K USD price increase like for like equipped.

As for monthly sales, RX should easily hit 12K units but mostly at the expense of the competition (MDX and QX60), and not so much the GX since it's a different buyer (crossover car-like buyer vs rugged body-on-frame SUV).

Agreed. I know many people myself who absolutely love the GX, but are very neutral or lukewarm with the RX. Likewise, I also know plenty of RX owners who don't really care for the GX. So yeah, I'd say two fairly different buyers.

Also as a data point, many worried the NX would cannibalize RX sales. No such thing happened.

Besides, in today's market, there is such hot demand for both quality body-on-frame SUVs as well as crossovers, that I think RXL will greatly expand Lexus sales without affecting any other SUV or crossover models. I think it will certainly affect some of the weaker competition though :D.

If Lexus ever puts a stronger engine into the RX family, it will really start the bring the pain to the competition then.

I agree it's a no-brainer, but, compared to the GX, it's still apples and oranges. The GX's truck-based frame can do more heavy work (such as towing boats) than the crossover RX. But, of course, the SUV market has clearly been shifting in the direction of crossovers for some years now.

Yes and no. As the old saying goes, a rising tide lifts all boats. While the market has mostly been shifting to crossovers, pickup trucks are also doing extremely well, as are many body-on-frame SUVs. Some BOF SUVs like the 4Runner are seeing exceptional sales. This is just the current market trend where almost all utility vehicles are selling well. The 4Runner this year could quite possibly set an all time historic annual sales record. This is how good some body-on-frame SUVs are doing.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
Three Row Lexus RX Gets Second Teaser Image

17-11-15-lexus-rx-450hl-full-thumb.jpg

The hybrid powertrain shares the spotlight.
View the original article post

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions
Would've made more sense to show the C and D-Pillar, since those are the only parts that will look different.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Yes and no. As the old saying goes, a rising tide lifts all boats. While the market has mostly been shifting to crossovers, pickup trucks are also doing extremely well, as are many body-on-frame SUVs. Some BOF SUVs like the 4Runner are seeing exceptional sales. This is just the current market trend where almost all utility vehicles are selling well. The 4Runner this year could quite possibly set an all time historic annual sales record. This is how good some body-on-frame SUVs are doing.

Good point on the 4Runner. Yes, it definitely sells. So do the large BOF SUVs from GM, Ford, and the much smaller Jeep Wrangler. But the bulk of the SUV market is clearly shifting to the crossovers.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I spent some time over the last few weeks helping a coworker shop for "something nice that can fit both of my kids comfortably and costs around $50-55k." That pretty quickly came down to RX, MDX, QX60 and... Highlander.

I won't go into all of the details, but I really don't understand how the Acura brand is still in business. We drove the RDX, TLX and MDX and I know Acura's entire model range is a bit long in the tooth right now, but I was kind of shocked by the general downmarket feel of each of them. That certain quirky Honda-ness shines through and I understand some people like that, but the RDX and TLX were pretty quickly eliminated because of size. The MDX was eliminated because of the interior and dashboard. The interiors of all three have tons of plastic, minimal wood and generally didn't feel "premium" with regard to fit and finish. The current CR-V and Accord are much more impressive, but I don't care for all of the shiny black plastic inside the Pilot. Overall, the Acuras felt no better than Hondas, Toyotas, Fords, etc.

Infiniti QX60 was pretty nice inside but she didn't like the CVT transmission and it was a bit out of her price range. They tried to sell her on a CPO model.... but...

... then we went to the Toyota dealership and drove a Highlander Platinum Hybrid. I can't believe I'm saying this, but the Highlander handily trounces the MDX and QX60 without a second thought. Neither holds a candle to the Toyota. The only case I can make for buying either of those is if you absolutely have to have a premium badge. Highlander drives better, handles better, feels much more solid on the road, has nicer interior amenities, is more powerful, gets better MPG and costs $10-15k less. Im really baffled about how Acura or Infiniti are selling any of these in comparison to a Highlander.

We also spent some time at the Lexus dealer driving ES and RX, and she really, really loved the RX. "ES is nice but looks like a boat" was the exact phrase from my friend. With options comparable to a Highlander, the RX quickly creeps beyond $55k and the interior is a lot smaller. Ultimately, the Highlander won out because of versatility, extra space and price, but my point in telling you all of this is that when Lexus unleashes the RX L, it will be a very, very hard time for Acura and Infiniti dealers. The interior of the RX feels 2 classes above the MDX and at least one above the QX60. The RX also outshines both on the road with passenger comfort, smoothness and powertrain refinement. The MDX drives kind of hard and while it handles decently, it doesn't give you the same feeling of quality and solidarity that an RX does. QX60 felt slow and unresponsive because of the CVT.

If the RX L has a decently usable third row, it's going to be a bloodbath for the other two.... probably for some other competitors as well. Overall, I was reminded why the RX is so popular - it's so comfortable, beautifully built, has all the right tech options, has an interior that's pleasing to the eye and fingers, feels solid and composed on the road and feels a little more expensive than what it really costs. It ticks all the boxes. Honestly, so does the Highlander just with fewer amenities, but this is going to be a great, GREAT addition for Lexus dealers. Can't wait to see the execution.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
Good point on the 4Runner. Yes, it definitely sells. So do the large BOF SUVs from GM, Ford, and the much smaller Jeep Wrangler. But the bulk of the SUV market is clearly shifting to the crossovers.

The shift to crossovers comes from BOF SUVs/Trucks but mostly from hatches, sedans, wagons and vans.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
Autoweek's rendering of what the RX L could look like:

lexus-long-cropped_0.jpg

Honestly, I don't mind it. The front overhang is the only real fault I see with the RX design, so bulking up the rear to match is almost unnoticeable.

This rendering is great, and proves the RX L is going to be a home run for Lexus.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
Honestly, I don't mind it. The front overhang is the only real fault I see with the RX design, so bulking up the rear to match is almost unnoticeable.

This rendering is great, and proves the RX L is going to be a home run for Lexus.

Agreed, the larger rear overhang balances out the design really nicely.

ThePenguin

Follower
Reactions
It's weird to see the gas door on the driver's side :confused:

Overall, I think the rendering looks good. This whole process won't be a simple feat, but the overall flow of the vehicle looks to have ultimately stayed the same.

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
It's weird to see the gas door on the driver's side :confused:
Depends on whether you consider the "driver's side" the left or the right (not sure where you're from).

x17-11-20-lexus-rx-l-autoweek.jpg.pagespeed.ic.EUJwWUYgs0.jpg

x17-11-20-lexus-rx-standard-size.jpg.pagespeed.ic.Pb1LJwHA4K.jpg

I immediately picked up on the discrepancy in the fuel filler on the 2 left side shots (present in the RX L, absent in the RX) used in Krew's article. It seems to me that the fuel filler door is on the left side of the RX, regardless of market. I've been through the galleries on Lexus' official U.S. (LHD), Japan, UK and Australia sites (all RHD), and each and every photo has the 4RX fuel filler on the left side. It seems that the RX shot Krew selected above was originally facing right but was flopped to face left via Photoshop (thus explaining the missing fuel filler door).

The other noteworthy take from the two illustrations is how a beefier, wider rear fender flare in the RX L (especially on the top and rear/trailing edge) cleverly helps mask the RX L's longer rear overhang.

My final comment: if the rearmost side window in the RX L (between the C and D pillars) is that shallow in the production RX L, the poor 3rd-row passengers will be subject to some major claustrophobia...

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
It seems that the RX shot Krew selected above was originally facing right but was flopped to face left via Photoshop (thus explaining the missing fuel filler door).

The other noteworthy take from the two illustrations is how a beefier, wider rear fender flare in the RX L (especially on the top and rear/trailing edge) cleverly helps mask the RX L's longer rear overhang.

I can't get away with anything! :eek:

Yeah, I flipped the image because I wanted it identical to the rendering. Good eye! :praise:

Joe

Premium Member
Reactions

Autoweek's effort is a nice try, and the sizes of front and rear overhang are a nice match, indeed.
But if you look at the real camouflated stuff on the above picture, it seems to me that the line above the rear wheel arch keeps the same shape as on the 5 seater and the back door's window is more vertical than on Autoweek's try-out (where the angle looks the same as on the 5-seater).

mikeavelli

Reactions
I spent some time over the last few weeks helping a coworker shop for "something nice that can fit both of my kids comfortably and costs around $50-55k." That pretty quickly came down to RX, MDX, QX60 and... Highlander.

I won't go into all of the details, but I really don't understand how the Acura brand is still in business. We drove the RDX, TLX and MDX and I know Acura's entire model range is a bit long in the tooth right now, but I was kind of shocked by the general downmarket feel of each of them. That certain quirky Honda-ness shines through and I understand some people like that, but the RDX and TLX were pretty quickly eliminated because of size. The MDX was eliminated because of the interior and dashboard. The interiors of all three have tons of plastic, minimal wood and generally didn't feel "premium" with regard to fit and finish. The current CR-V and Accord are much more impressive, but I don't care for all of the shiny black plastic inside the Pilot. Overall, the Acuras felt no better than Hondas, Toyotas, Fords, etc.

Infiniti QX60 was pretty nice inside but she didn't like the CVT transmission and it was a bit out of her price range. They tried to sell her on a CPO model.... but...

... then we went to the Toyota dealership and drove a Highlander Platinum Hybrid. I can't believe I'm saying this, but the Highlander handily trounces the MDX and QX60 without a second thought. Neither holds a candle to the Toyota. The only case I can make for buying either of those is if you absolutely have to have a premium badge. Highlander drives better, handles better, feels much more solid on the road, has nicer interior amenities, is more powerful, gets better MPG and costs $10-15k less. Im really baffled about how Acura or Infiniti are selling any of these in comparison to a Highlander.

We also spent some time at the Lexus dealer driving ES and RX, and she really, really loved the RX. "ES is nice but looks like a boat" was the exact phrase from my friend. With options comparable to a Highlander, the RX quickly creeps beyond $55k and the interior is a lot smaller. Ultimately, the Highlander won out because of versatility, extra space and price, but my point in telling you all of this is that when Lexus unleashes the RX L, it will be a very, very hard time for Acura and Infiniti dealers. The interior of the RX feels 2 classes above the MDX and at least one above the QX60. The RX also outshines both on the road with passenger comfort, smoothness and powertrain refinement. The MDX drives kind of hard and while it handles decently, it doesn't give you the same feeling of quality and solidarity that an RX does. QX60 felt slow and unresponsive because of the CVT.

If the RX L has a decently usable third row, it's going to be a bloodbath for the other two.... probably for some other competitors as well. Overall, I was reminded why the RX is so popular - it's so comfortable, beautifully built, has all the right tech options, has an interior that's pleasing to the eye and fingers, feels solid and composed on the road and feels a little more expensive than what it really costs. It ticks all the boxes. Honestly, so does the Highlander just with fewer amenities, but this is going to be a great, GREAT addition for Lexus dealers. Can't wait to see the execution.

I too am a huge huge fan of the Highlander.