Officially Official: Lexus RX 350L and RX 450hL Debuts in LA

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
I found an early design sketch of the RX L:

CC-27-151-800.jpg

Did you ever actually DRIVE one of those? : unamused: Its road manners would make a Suzuki Samurai look sophisticated in comparison. For one thing, look at the ultra-short wheelbase, tall stance, and long front/ rear overhangs...that means pitching back and forth like a rocking-horse. And don't even think about pushing it around a sharp curve. ;)

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
I can't help it, I've always liked how that van looks. It really embraces being a van in a way few other vehicles do.

In hindsight it does look a bit like the shipping crate the GM Dustbusters came in though :)

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
The FWD Dustbusters, though weird-looking (and with the top of the dash the size of an aircraft-carrier LOL) actually drove a lot better than those old Toyota/Nissan/Mitsubshi vans with the RWD and short-wheelbase. Besides better road-manners, like the 1Gen Saturns, they also had the advantage of plastic body panels that warded off rust, corrosion, dents, and dings.

Last edited:

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Back to the three-row RX, there are conflicting reports if we will actually see one at the upcoming Tokyo Auto Show. I don't want to post anything that might not turn out to be true...but keep your fingers crossed. ;)

mikeavelli

Reactions
After going back and forth between the LX and RX the RX just feels cramped and not sure how this 3rd row will work out. They really sacrificed space for really aggressive styling. The Highlander is more upright and the 3rd row is awful. \

Very curious to see how this pans out.....

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
After going back and forth between the LX and RX the RX just feels cramped and not sure how this 3rd row will work out. They really sacrificed space for really aggressive styling. The Highlander is more upright and the 3rd row is awful. \

Very curious to see how this pans out.....

The RX-L is more for the Asian market, it's way too small for the U.S. Seven Asians can actually fit comfortably in the Highlander.

The vehicle can't grow any larger because of tiny parking spots, and it's quite common to see tensome people squeezed in a seven seater here.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
The vehicle can't grow any larger because of tiny parking spots, and it's quite common to see tensome people squeezed in a seven seater here.

TEN people in an RX? :confused: I know that some Asians can be small in stature, but that's really pushing it. Besides, if they are doing that, they are probably violating seat-belt laws (assuming those laws are in effect where you are).

Last edited:

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
The RX-L is more for the Asian market, it's way too small for the U.S. Seven Asians can actually fit comfortably in the Highlander.

RX-L is certainly for US market, I am sure there will be some good sales in China and GCC, but it is mostly US.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
RX-L is certainly for US market, I am sure there will be some good sales in China and GCC, but it is mostly US.

Then it would be Lexus tripping itself to accomodate the asian market. The ES is more cramped than most of its competitors because it has to fit on narrow japanese roads.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Then it would be Lexus tripping itself to accomodate the asian market. The ES is more cramped than most of its competitors because it has to fit on narrow japanese roads.

it is certainly due to their heritage (narrow platforms) but I think thats substantially changed with new TNGA vehicles.

RX by far sells the best in the US, it sold 110k last year in the US alone.

In general, i find it very interesting that US, China, Russia and GCC countries are very similar in their luxury vehicle tastest.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
The Power of Three: All-new 3-row Lexus RXL to Debut at the 2017 Los Angeles Auto Show

LOS ANGELES, Nov. 15, 2017 – How can the top-selling Lexus RX get even better? Make more of it. The all-new 2018 RX 350L, now featuring three rows, will make its World Premiere at the 2017 Los Angeles Auto Show. The hybrid model, the RX 450hL, will also be announced. The RX that paved the way for the luxury crossover segment 20 years ago will retain its stylish figure while also providing more flexibility for passengers.

The RX 350L will be revealed at the Lexus Press Conference taking place on November 29, 2017 at 10:00 am PST in the South Hall at the Los Angeles Convention Center.

http://pressroom.lexus.com/releases...w+3+row+lexus+rxl+debut+2017+la+auto+show.htm

Attachments

• 2018_Lexus_RXL_01_9A3FCC3962E9892B531B78E3150EA8F524639D8C.jpg
    2018_Lexus_RXL_01_9A3FCC3962E9892B531B78E3150EA8F524639D8C.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 7

corradoMR2

Founding Member
Reactions
Quite frankly, I think this thing is going to slaughter the MDX and QX60... if they price it within reason.

My expectation is about a 3K USD price increase like for like equipped.

As for monthly sales, RX should easily hit 12K units but mostly at the expense of the competition (MDX and QX60), and not so much the GX since it's a different buyer (crossover car-like buyer vs rugged body-on-frame SUV).