NomadDan

Follower
Reactions
In the presentation they said the 2.0T will be used on trucks as well.
Would that include the Tundra as well? I have a hard time seeing a 2.0T in the Tundra. That would be disastrous for sales. Adding a couple cylinders for a 3.0 inline 6 would be ideal, although I’d prefer a bit more displacement. Ram is now using a 3.0 inline 6 gas engine.

Last edited:

Ali Manai

Follower
Reactions
I think they arr gonna optimise the 3.5 v6 to last a long time as toyota usually does with their bof vehicles

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
I think the biggest surprise is Toyota targeting very high specific outputs. 150PS/L for a mainstream engine and 200PS/L potentially 300PS/L for the performance engine. But this is probably the only way forward for any manufacturer to deal with future emissions regulations.

How they can manage the turbo lag would be fascinating.

Also from their presentation future hybrid power will contribute to almost 50% total system power. So the 400PS engine in a hybrid setup could theoretically be scaled up to 800PS total. There's certainly a possibility Toyota introduce something similar to the C63 but I hope not.

*OK so I caught up with the Q&A portion and the presenter said the main reason for smaller displacement engines is actually catalyst cost. The metals used in the catalytic converters have become a very big portion of the production cost of engines. A smaller engine uses less of these materials.

Last edited:

qtb007

Follower
Reactions
I think the biggest surprise is Toyota targeting very high specific outputs. 150PS/L for a mainstream engine and 200PS/L potentially 300PS/L for the performance engine. But this is probably the only way forward for any manufacturer to deal with future emissions regulations.

How they can manage the turbo lag would be fascinating.

Also from their presentation future hybrid power will contribute to almost 50% total system power. So the 400PS engine in a hybrid setup could theoretically be scaled up to 800PS total. There's certainly a possibility Toyota introduce something similar to the C63 but I hope not.
Is that 600hp the engine alone or system power? A 400hp 2.0T with another 200hp of electric boost seems more likely than a 600hp 2.0T.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
I was not against a C63 AMG with 4 cylinders. On the contrary think it is a good idea. Turbo engines just do not sound good, even the very good S58 just is not a NA. At this point why bother with a big heavy (turbo) engine. Having good performance and good fuel economy is great. It just is Mercedes that did a terribly bad job: the car is bloody heavy and not even fuel efficient.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
One part taken from this website:

Prior to this technical briefing, I test drove the Toyota Hilux (6-speed manual transmission) and the Lexus IS (paddle shift), both of which are equipped with a 2.0-liter turbo engine.

The Hilux's engine has a 300 horsepower (red zone: 6200 rpm), while the IS has a 400 horsepower (red zone: 6800 rpm).

Both cars had light acceleration from a standing start and almost no turbo lag, giving the impression that they were simply "fun to drive."

Regarding this 2.0-liter turbo, a Toyota engineer said, "Toyota has a globally popular engine called the 2JZ engine. We would like to aim to create an engine that surpasses that," giving us hope for future evolutions.

The Hilux is a car that is used for business purposes and as transportation for the general public in emerging countries, while the IS is a sports sedan, but the fact that the same engine can cover both areas could truly be called a "dream engine."
Which Hilux I wonder? And which IS? It better get a manual transmission if they panted a Manuel for BEVs. And bring back the Sportcross.

Flagship1

Follower
Reactions
I was not against a C63 AMG with 4 cylinders. On the contrary think it is a good idea. Turbo engines just do not sound good, even the very good S58 just is not a NA. At this point why bother with a big heavy (turbo) engine. Having good performance and good fuel economy is great. It just is Mercedes that did a terribly bad job: the car is bloody heavy and not even fuel efficient.
True, but i think that segment of car is less about logic, and more about what ifs or as a I like to put it, the German equivalent of Merican muscle; snarling engine growling while roasting the tires. Hopefully they can move remove the heft out as you said but bring the guttural nature of the powertrain back.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Is that 600hp the engine alone or system power? A 400hp 2.0T with another 200hp of electric boost seems more likely than a 600hp 2.0T.
The presenter (CTO of TMC) said they want to build a 600PS by "make enhancements to certain parts". So I think it's the base engine not the overall powertrain.

Ali Manai

Follower
Reactions
This engine could probably end up in a supra say the regular one gets the 400bhp tune it's an upgrade over the b58 then later a more expensive version powered by the 600bhp cause the way this engine is designed it would be very light weight and shorter meaning a lower hood would be good for dynamics over rhe v35 so fingers crossed for that one.

Also the celicabis rumoured to be powered by the 2.0l but the mr1 and smaller one are said to be powered by a 1.3l so would that be a smaller version of the 1.3l showcased over something completly different.

carguy420

Admirer
Reactions
The 600hp version of the 2.0T is really just meant for their motorsport programs, mainly the Super Formula Championship, because designing and building an engine specifically for a racing series is very costly, so this time around Toyota wanted to make a mass production engine that is a capable enough to be used as the base for their racing engine to keep costs down.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
Knowing Toyota the final engine will probably have 247 PS in its most powerful production version. Good enough for me in a new IS.